• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered four year old suddenly honking and chasing female

Hi,
My four year old mini lop Harry has suddenly started frequently chasing his bonded female and honking/buzzing. It started when she came back from the vets last week. They normally go together but last week Harry didn’t want to go so she went alone. She was probably only gone an hour and had her bum shaved as her fur was a bit matted and discoloured. Harry has always humped to show dominance and when food is coming and she sometime humps him too. But he has never done it this often and made the noise with it. She just runs away from the chasing and sometimes gives in and lets him mount her. She doesn’t seem particularly distressed by it but it’s stressing me out! Is this normal? Will it settle? Otherwise Harry is happy and healthy normal eating drinking and pooping. I’m worried about adrenal tumours? Though since it started straight after the female’s vet trip it seems more likely to be connected to that. They still groom one another and seem to be getting on fine apart from this buzzing, chasing and mounting! Advice appreciated!

Hi,
My four year old mini lop Harry has suddenly started frequently chasing his bonded female and honking/buzzing. It started when she came back from the vets last week. They normally go together but last week Harry didn’t want to go so she went alone. She was probably only gone an hour and had her bum shaved as her fur was a bit matted and discoloured. Harry has always humped to show dominance and when food is coming and she sometime humps him too. But he has never done it this often and made the noise with it. She just runs away from the chasing and sometimes gives in and lets him mount her. She doesn’t seem particularly distressed by it but it’s stressing me out! Is this normal? Will it settle? Otherwise Harry is happy and healthy normal eating drinking and pooping. I’m worried about adrenal tumours? Though since it started straight after the female’s vet trip it seems more likely to be connected to that. They still groom one another and seem to be getting on fine apart from this buzzing, chasing and mounting! Advice appreciated!

It is probably behavioural. Was her Vet trip due to her being unwell ? Illness can change the dynamics of a Rabbits bond

Are the Doe’s scent glands clean ?

Adrenal Hyperplasia would be a possibility if the Buck’s hormonal behaviour does not settle down over the next few weeks. Especially if he starts spraying too.

Hi, I know this was a couple of years ago now. We are experiencing the same issue now. We have frankie and ruby (brother and sister) frankie for the last week has just been out of control with the constant mounting and oinking. Poor ruby just can’t seem to get a break from it! They sleep and relax through the day cuddled up together then when the evening hits and they awake from their slumber frankie is just non stop trying to mount ruby. Ruby does kick off she just moves away but it’s getting to the point now where she’s trying to have some hay or a drink and Frankie is forcing her to move away cos he’s trying to hump her!! They are booked into the vets on Tuesday so we can rule out illness. They will be 1 years old 21st October. Did you manage to find a solution? Please help us lol

Hi, I know this was a couple of years ago now. We are experiencing the same issue now. We have frankie and ruby (brother and sister) frankie for the last week has just been out of control with the constant mounting and oinking. Poor ruby just can’t seem to get a break from it! They sleep and relax through the day cuddled up together then when the evening hits and they awake from their slumber frankie is just non stop trying to mount ruby. Ruby does kick off she just moves away but it’s getting to the point now where she’s trying to have some hay or a drink and Frankie is forcing her to move away cos he’s trying to hump her!! They are booked into the vets on Tuesday so we can rule out illness. They will be 1 years old 21st October. Did you manage to find a solution? Please help us lol

All three effected Rabbits were found to have adrenal gland hyperplasia. They were treated with a hormone implant called Suprelorin. It’s use for Rabbits is ‘of licence’ (in the UK)

https://us.virbac.com/home/our-products/pagecontent/product-selector/suprelorin-f-implant.html

The implants worked well in two of the three Rabbits. The third was found to have a type of adrenal gland tumour that metastasises. Sadly it had spread to his lungs so he had to be PTS.

Back