• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay samples

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I got some hay samples for Sophie and Casper and of course the hay they like is much more expensive than their current hay. To be fair, it's quite lovely looking and smelling hay. Does anyone want to bet on them still liking the hay once I get them a box of it? ;):lol:

I got some hay samples for Sophie and Casper and of course the hay they like is much more expensive than their current hay. To be fair, it's quite lovely looking and smelling hay. Does anyone want to bet on them still liking the hay once I get them a box of it? ;):lol:

Ooh you're delving into a very complex area now :lol: Personally I think it's impossible to tell........ever.......with any bunny.

Just as an example, Tui rejects hay made from our small hay patch, yet she eats it enthusiastically when the same grass has been hand-cut and made into hay. Same grass, same taste, just slightly longer stalks. When that was finished I bought some of the 'usual' hay she used to like very much. She ate it, but slowly and I thought it was going to take months to get rid of it, quite aside from the fact she wasn't eating enough hay. Then suddenly, like switching on a light switch, she started to eat it enthusiastically again.......and so far has continued.

So I'm afraid I wouldn't want to bet on your two continuing to like it. It does sound nice though :love:

Omi, your reply and your example about Tui has made me a bit afraid that I'm going to be buying a box of expensive hay and they won't eat it. :lol:

And, yes, there's the novelty effect, SarahP, you're right... Consider me warned. :lol: Like j&b said, though, there's the guilt of denying them something, too. :lol:

I guess if they won't eat it they can always just use it as an expensive bed...

The number of times I've ordered the nice hay that they seem to love and by the next week I'm frantically ordering the old stuff because they're not eating much is ridiculous [emoji1787]

Primrose had expensive tastes whereas Rodney likes timothyhay.co.uk above all else although not the most recent batch [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Yeah, that has happened here, too. :lol: Sophie and Casper don't usually have expensive tastes, thankfully. That's too bad that Rodney isn't liking the most recent batch of his favourite. :(

I got the box of hay today and it's really lovely hay! Very long and green and it smells nice. Casper isn't interested at all, but Sophie started eating it right away, so I'm going to consider it a win. :D

Here's Sophie with her new hay:

MzoSuXah.jpg

x5xkYHIh.jpg

WZkzFQgh.jpg

You can eat it while lying on it, too:

sQ0cyksh.jpg

Aww that looks like lovely hay!

Smart Sophie eating it all up before Casper realises he's missing out [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Beware the novelty effect! :lol:

This cannot be overstated. I bought loads of a particular hay in response to a new hay that was eaten with incredible enthusiasm by all. They were like addicts with the first bag. In saving £5.95 postage, I spent over £25 on just one brand of hay no-one will now touch. It joins at least 4 other varieties in a rather sad and painfully large overspill hay area in the sitting room. I need an extension for all the bunny and piggy stuff!

There’s some lovely hay available, but with a bit of tongue in cheek, view with suspicion reviews describing hay as:

‘Fresh and green’ - it’ll be brown and twiggy.

‘ALL MY BUNNIES/PIGGIES love it’ - yes, every other bunny/piggy in the whole world will love it, except yours.

‘Packed with flowers’ - They’ll be the brown dandelions that fly out onto the carpet when you open the bag.

‘Dust free’ - dustier than the Sahara desert.

‘Lovely and soft’ - hard sticks that could take an eye out.

‘From our own fields/Locally grown’ - Keep an eye out for stones, thistles, bits of plastic and difficult to identify leaves that are almost guaranteed to bring on a health emergency.

‘Great value’ - anything that isn’t eye wateringly expensive will be categorically rejected by rabbits.

I’m hoping for a repeat ‘novelty effect’ soon, as the hay looks like bags of money to me and it’s a pain to store. If this fails, it’ll go to my nearest rescue!

This cannot be overstated. I bought loads of a particular hay in response to a new hay that was eaten with incredible enthusiasm by all. They were like addicts with the first bag. In saving £5.95 postage, I spent over £25 on just one brand of hay no-one will now touch. It joins at least 4 other varieties in a rather sad and painfully large overspill hay area in the sitting room. I need an extension for all the bunny and piggy stuff!

There’s some lovely hay available, but with a bit of tongue in cheek, view with suspicion reviews describing hay as:

‘Fresh and green’ - it’ll be brown and twiggy.

‘ALL MY BUNNIES/PIGGIES love it’ - yes, every other bunny/piggy in the whole world will love it, except yours.

‘Packed with flowers’ - They’ll be the brown dandelions that fly out onto the carpet when you open the bag.

‘Dust free’ - dustier than the Sahara desert.

‘Lovely and soft’ - hard sticks that could take an eye out.

‘From our own fields/Locally grown’ - Keep an eye out for stones, thistles, bits of plastic and difficult to identify leaves that are almost guaranteed to bring on a health emergency.

‘Great value’ - anything that isn’t eye wateringly expensive will be categorically rejected by rabbits.

I’m hoping for a repeat ‘novelty effect’ soon, as the hay looks like bags of money to me and it’s a pain to store. If this fails, it’ll go to my nearest rescue!

your post made me giggle. so true & so funny. I'm currently sorting out my buns & made the mistake of sorting their supplies (under stair) cupboard & now I just wanna give up on all the mess & go back to bed :lol:

Back