• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Louis - He now has a little Friend! - UpDate 31.08.22

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I know some Males swell up a bit post neuter and I will ring the Vet in the morning, but Louis' testicles are the size of a large grape and I have seen them like this before, so really just want some reassurance that this swelling will eventually go down. It is so cold out there as well.

Last edited:
Some swelling is normal, but if the scrotum looks very bruised and the swelling is extreme then that requires Veterinary attention ASAP. I assume he was prescribed Metacam for a few days ?

Is he eating, pooping, drinking and weeing OK ? And is he maintaining his body temperature ?

It doesn't look bruised just swollen. He is doing all the normal things very well but don't know about his temperature. It is very cold out there, I had stopped the Metacam but I will give him some in a minute. He seems to be happier outside and I have my friend's 2 Rabbits staying over Christmas in my lounge as they are indoor Bunnies so I can't keep him inside really. Just a bit worried.

The rabbit I had castrated a month ago had some swelling for about 3 days:

Neutered Mon - no swelling, but v out of it til about midnight.
Tues OK,
Wed, Thurs - moderate swelling (to about pre-castration size), no bruising,
Fri - nearly resolved.
Checkup at 1 week - no swelling. All looking good.

He was confined to the hutch until the first weekend as it was wet & muddy in the garden, so not fit for him to be out and risk infection in the wound.

I did give him a hot water bottle but he nibbled the rubber! I have never needed a Snugglesafe but wished I had one now. Googling.

Really sorry that you are worried about Louis Tonibun, hope the swelling goes down of its own accord. Could you wrap the bottle in something to stop him nibbling ?

The swelling has gone down a bit today and he is more cheerful with a twinkle in his eyes! He will need a friend soon. :)

I'm really pleased to read this update :) Have you already got a girlie in mind for him or will you need to adopt one?

Haha! I have one in mind. She is a white Nethie being advertised atm on Wightbay, 2 yrs old. She will need to be indoors though until Spring, then spayed. I may introduce them after Christmas when my friend's Rabbits have gone home. I don't have a spare female just at the moment, then I saw this little one yesterday being advertised. Eek!

Glad to hear Louis is doing ok, bless him with his twinkling eyes :D good luck with the girlie bun :D

I have just bonded Louis with Summer, a pretty little Lionhead. I started the bonding on Thursday morning and he was giving her a face wash this morning, so I am very happy. The white Nethie was living close to a boy in her previous home so it seemed good to have him as well. He was neutered in January and they are now together. She will be spayed in a month or so. They are still indoors.

What lovely news, Tonib. Have I got this right - you adopted the white Nethie and her now husbun. :lol::love: Did you already have little Summer, or was she another adoption. :D

What a beautiful update. It sounds like a perfect match. I hope they share the love you so freely give then. :love:

What lovely news, Tonib. Have I got this right - you adopted the white Nethie and her now husbun. :lol::love: Did you already have little Summer, or was she another adoption. :D

:) Yes I already had Summer who was living happily with her Sister Poppy, both spayed, but as the days got longer I noticed Summer seemed a little frightened of Poppy so I separated them. When I took the little white Nethie in, who was called Bluebell but is now Holly, I felt bad that I had left her friend behind so I went and got him as well. Poppy will be bonded with Rupert soon, he lived with Blue who sadly died, aged 9. Blue was a wonderful Bunny who had been living in a 3' hutch at the bottom of the garden, the children had got fed up and wanted a Dog. She was very happy with me. She lived with Nibbles for a few years until he died.

Well, sadly, it wasn't working. From the time they were together I could see, in Louis' eyes, that he was not happy. I persevered for a while but then he went for her a couple of times. Summer looked upset so I separated them. He didn't get along with the other Rabbit in his previous home so maybe he's happier on his own. "Happy to be a Batchelor Boy until my Dying Day! :D

Back