• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleping standing up

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hello to everyone,
I've had this before and couldn't find the cause. Cookie started sleeping on him standing up again for 2 days. His tummy is soft he lets me touch him, he lays down when I touch him. Good to poop, eat, drink.
I feel like he's not very comfortable in this position, it's like he's not comfortable and that's why he's standing like that. Is it because of the feeling of insecurity because my mother is staying here with us now, or could it be a disease? I'm confused. :|
Also, once today I saw that his head was shaking by grinding his teeth loudly, I wonder if he has pain? But it only happened once. Am I exaggerating? After all, people can sometimes ache somewhere, it doesn't always have to be for a reason. After all, rabbits cannot be expected to be 100 percent healthy every day, right?

https://imguh.com/image/kyk9N

I've never heard of this before due you mean Ike he is periscoping on his back legs only and sleeping

Is he still sneezing ?

When sitting like that does his body rock in rhythm with his breathing and is his respiratory rate increased ?

Is he still sneezing ?

When sitting like that does his body rock in rhythm with his breathing and is his respiratory rate increased ?

Yes, but he sneezes a little. His body doesn't sway but it's like his body looks more like he's breathing while he's in this position. I mean, the breathing of his body in this position caught my attention, it became more visible. But that didn't get anyone's attention but me, because it's such a small difference. When I was in that position, I paid attention to his breathing, his chest caught my attention more, his breathing was more pronounced on his chest than before. But when others saw it, they didn't pay attention, so it's not very noticeable. Very small difference. What does this mean? :(

Now he's sleeping like that again, I took a video of his breathing for you.
https://streamable.com/lon6ar

Last edited:
His respiratory rate and effort looks normal in the video. Does he have places to hide in your apartment ? I mean things like these

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/110...query=rabbit+hideout&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&frs=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primst-Out...43&sprefix=Rabbit+tunnel,aps,174&sr=8-40&th=1

Rabbits need hideouts to retreat to and will relax more just knowing they have the option to do so.

I can’t tell you for certain if Cookie is sitting up and not lying down so much when resting is behavioural or due to a health problem ( back pain, compromised lung function being two examples) just from looking at photos and videos.

His respiratory rate and effort looks normal in the video. Does he have places to hide in your apartment ? I mean things like these

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/110...query=rabbit+hideout&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&frs=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primst-Out...43&sprefix=Rabbit+tunnel,aps,174&sr=8-40&th=1

Rabbits need hideouts to retreat to and will relax more just knowing they have the option to do so.

I can’t tell you for certain if Cookie is sitting up and not lying down so much when resting is behavioural or due to a health problem ( back pain, compromised lung function being two examples) just from looking at photos and videos.

Yes it has both. Cookie has tunnels, dog/cat houses, even corners to hide in. So I can't understand this either, I'm constantly uneasy thinking about behavioral or health. But I noticed that he usually used to do this during illness, I wonder if he has pain. But my mother has been staying with us for 10 days, I wonder if he feels insecure? But he was sleeping/laying comfortably next to my mother until 2 days ago. He started sleeping on his feet like this for 2 days. I'm wondering if I should watch it for 1 more week? If it continues, I will take him to the vet in 1 week, will it be too late?

As he has a history of lung problems I would get a Vet to check him over within the next few days. You know him best and if previous experience has shown that he sits up sleeping a lot when he is unwell then you are right to get him examined again. He does not look to be in pain but he might find it easier to breathe sitting up if his lung function is compromised.

As he has a history of lung problems I would get a Vet to check him over within the next few days. You know him best and if previous experience has shown that he sits up sleeping a lot when he is unwell then you are right to get him examined again. He does not look to be in pain but he might find it easier to breathe sitting up if his lung function is compromised.

I understand, thanks Jane. This new vet I found was gone for a week, now the young vet is looking after her. I don't know if I should trust her or not. Would you wait a week for Cookie's vet? Or would you show Cookie to the young grower vet next to Cookie's vet? :roll: It may seem strange that I'm asking you this question, but I trust you so much. Your opinion is important to me.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can’t tell you for certain if Cookie’s change in behaviour over the last couple of days is related to a health issue or not. So I can’t safely say it’s fine to wait a week before seeing a Vet. To err on the side of caution and taking his recent history of lung infections into account and that when he has been ill before he would sleep sitting up consulting a Vet sooner might be a good idea, but it might not be necessary. Also, if you have zero confidence in the Vet whatever he/she says will not put your mind at ease.

Sorry I can’t be of more help

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can’t tell you for certain if Cookie’s change in behaviour over the last couple of days is related to a health issue or not. So I can’t safely say it’s fine to wait a week before seeing a Vet. To err on the side of caution and taking his recent history of lung infections into account and that when he has been ill before he would sleep sitting up consulting a Vet sooner might be a good idea, but it might not be necessary. Also, if you have zero confidence in the Vet whatever he/she says will not put your mind at ease.

Sorry I can’t be of more help

Ok, thank you so much. :) You helped me a lot

Back