• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many vegetables do you give daily?

KCG

Warren Veteran
I'm still confused about this. Normally, I used to give 1 leaf of Lettuce, 1 sprig of vegetables a day, then I was told on the forum that I could increase it, so I started to give more. But it's always been said on the internet that little rabbits should only eat 1 cup of vegetables a day. If so Cookie eats more vegetables than usual. I was just wondering, because Cookie gets probably about 4 cups of greens per meal, and he gets greens twice a day. So he gets 8 cups of greens per day. Cookie eats 4 leaves of lettuce, 2 sprigs of parsley, dill, coriander etc. a day.
I am scared :( I thought if I wasn't taking good care of my rabbit, I think I'm a bad mother. :cry: I'm going to reduce vegetables, I'm thinking of switching to 1 cup per day. Can you give me a diet program of 1 cup of vegetables a day?

How many vegetables do you give your rabbit per day? Do you pay attention to the cup when giving vegetables to rabbits?

Last edited:
I imagine it is based on the size of the rabbit? Surely a dwarf would eat less than a giant?

I’m not entirely sure as I seldom feed mine greens as it doesn’t agree with them well, unless it’s dried forage. In which case, they get a handful of everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine it is based on the size of the rabbit? Surely a dwarf would eat less than a giant?

I’m not entirely sure as I seldom feed mine greens as it doesn’t agree with them well, unless it’s dried forage. In which case, they get a handful of everyday.

Cookies 1600 grams, not quite dwarf, half dwarf. But I made the decision to change Cookie's diet, I think he eats a lot of vegetables. :|

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-diet/greens-veg-herbs/

At the bottom there is a thing to input size and it’ll calculate diet accordingly.

I don’t know how much people trust rabbit welfare association but they seem to give out a lot of positive information most of the time.

Woow that's great, thank you so much :) I will definitely reduce Cookie's veggies, I already started reducing it yesterday. I'm acclimating to the new diet for 1 week, reducing it little by little. We're doing fine for now, I don't have any English resources on rabbits and no other help on the forum. English only resources and forum. There is hardly a single person in Turkey who knows the right rabbit care. :(

The 'internet' also generally thinks a rabbit should be fed a big bowl of meusli or pellets daily....

You need to provide a balanced diet - mainly hay or grass, veggies, then maybe a few pellets. I would be more inclined to cut down on pellets and sometimes swap the lettuce for veg with a more fibre (eg cabbage, celery leaves, carrot tops, broccoli, herbs, etc). Lettuce is Ok, but is really just water and doesn't provide the same level of long fibres as other leafy veg. Herbs are good, though, as they have tougher leaves & stems to chew. Wild rabbits would be eating grasses and various herbs and plants that grow in meadows, all day long.

The 'internet' also generally thinks a rabbit should be fed a big bowl of meusli or pellets daily....

You need to provide a balanced diet - mainly hay or grass, veggies, then maybe a few pellets. I would be more inclined to cut down on pellets and sometimes swap the lettuce for veg with a more fibre (eg cabbage, celery leaves, carrot tops, broccoli, herbs, etc). Lettuce is Ok, but is really just water and doesn't provide the same level of long fibres as other leafy veg. Herbs are good, though, as they have tougher leaves & stems to chew. Wild rabbits would be eating grasses and various herbs and plants that grow in meadows, all day long.

Completely agree with this :thumb:

Completely agree with this :thumb:

Thank you so much, this helped me a lot. :)

Bertie gets a bowl of greens twice a day. He is a good hay eater, but I know if he gets more greens he would eat less hay! My first rabbit, Spenser, was not a good hay eater and very fussy with greens. I think if your rabbit is doing well on their current diet I would stick with it or introduce changes very gradually.

Bertie gets a bowl of greens twice a day. He is a good hay eater, but I know if he gets more greens he would eat less hay! My first rabbit, Spenser, was not a good hay eater and very fussy with greens. I think if your rabbit is doing well on their current diet I would stick with it or introduce changes very gradually.

Ok, your advice is very useful for me, thank you so much. :)

Back