• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! My rabbit keeps eating her own poop :/

ixk812

New Kit
My rabbit keeps eating her own poop from her... you know what.

I give her hay, treats and vegetables and STILL she eats her own poop (it's not even as though she's hungry because she eats all throughout the day). By the way, these are not her cecoctropes, they're the normal ones.

I'm kind of worried. Does anyone have a clue about why she's doing this?

Last edited:
Oh my bunny does this sometimes. What I've noticed is that he does this when he eats little hay. He probably does it when he's low on fiber. But as far as I know sometimes they can do it out of boredom, so when they are bored, they can eat their normal poop.
But if it's because your rabbit is eating less hay, check her diet. If you are giving a lot of pellets, reduce it a little, rabbits eat less hay when they eat a lot of pellets.

It is really common for rabbits to eat their own droppings but it isn't known why they do it

I had a rabbit that came from a very neglected situation and he had that habit, I assumed he had times when there was nothing else to eat but over time, I have realised, like your own experience, rabbits when they have good food available still do it.

Back