• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jumper for chilly older bunny?

Shula

Warren Scout
Just had my 10 year old house rabbit on my lap and under a blanket for over two hours to warm him up, as he was shivering. He is in a toasty warm, centrally heated flat, and is a lionhead so very furry anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has had success using pet 'jumpers' (like the kind for dogs etc) in this kind of situation? Or any other suggestions for chilly old age buns? :love:

Thanks

I would get him checked over by a vet tomorrow, or preferably ring an emergency vet tonight for advice - he shouldn't be shivering.

Is he eating & pooing OK?
Does he have space to move around to keep warm (rather than being confined to a small cage all day)?
Does he have a nest box? Somewhere you can stuff with hay so he can keep himself warm. Maybe also consider getting a Snugglesafe microwave heat pad to go in his nest box.

He's a free range house rabbit so he isn't ever confined. He lies right underneath the radiator for most of the day, which is on full blast from 7am-11pm. He's gradually been losing weight and is very skinny now, which I think is partly why he's getting cold. He's under the care of the vet and is just being as loved as much as possible while he's still enjoying life. He loves cuddles, but this is the first time I've ever known him shiver, and it seemed to take so long for him to warm up :cry:

I would still get him examined. Rabbits go downhill very quickly, and shivering is not normal.
Has the cause of the weight loss been determined?

He could be in chronic renal failure and this can mean the blood pressure is not well controlled and drops very low. This then leads to an inability to regulate body temperature. Has the Vet run a blood profile to check his renal function ?

I once made a fleece cape for a 12 year old with kidney issues who could not control his temperature, yet did not do much to keep him warm. Fluid therapy helped for a while. He did not shiver, yet was cool. He liked supplemental syringe feeds to help with his weight. Has your vet diagnosed any condition? a snuggle safe , insulated box is a good idea.
He must have good care to be with you at 10.

Last edited:
I would get him checked by the vet and if he’s ok, a snuggle safe heat pad will be better.

Back