• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Is Here - Outdoor playtime for indoor bunnies

Tiggertime

Young Bun
Do you let your indoor bunnies play outside in winter? If so, how cold is too cold?

Ours love their outdoors playtime, but with Tigger's trouble this year with a RTI, we're a bit reluctant to let him out in the cold and snow. The last two winters though he loved being out in the snow.

IMO it is best not to subject Rabbits to extreme changes in temperature. As a result my House Rabbits do not go outside in very cold weather. I would definitely not do it if I knew the Rabbit had a history of RTIs. Extreme changes in environmental temperature causes physiological stress. Physiological stress can trigger a flare up of Snuffles (RTI)

IMO it is best not to subject Rabbits to extreme changes in temperature. As a result my House Rabbits do not go outside in very cold weather. I would definitely not do it if I knew the Rabbit had a history of RTIs. Extreme changes in environmental temperature causes physiological stress. Physiological stress can trigger a flare up of Snuffles (RTI)

This.
Outdoor rabbits will be acclimatised to the cold weather to a large degree, but indoor rabbits need to stay indoors in winter weather as there's a big difference in temperature between indoors and outdoors.

I have to say I let mine out in the garden in any weather. He can choose if he wants to go out or not, and if he does, how long he stays out there. He loves a good race round the garden, and binkies about, zooming around. However, I have to stay out there with him, he won't stay out there alone, but if it makes him happy I'll be shivering on the doorstep! He's quite cat-like in that he will poke his head out of the back door and sit sniffing the air. If it's raining he'll mostly just turn round and scoot back in.

Back