• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits Fighting?

Fredo

New Kit
Hi, I’m a new rabbit owner of two female Rex rabbits. They’re 12 week old and confident little things. I felt ok about how they would both get on; both females (don’t tend to fight as much supposedly), sisters and they seem to get on quite well (lying on the floor next to each other asleep and cleaning each other). Today I got home and found a chunk of one of the rabbit's fur in the middle of the run and a chunk of fur hanging off the same rabbit. I know they can malt but I don’t know what to do if they’re fighting. When I was with her she didn’t seem as confident but still enjoyed a cuddle (it might just be me being over sensitive and overreacting but I thought she seemed a bit shyer). I’m doubling the size of their run this weekend and their hide hut has two exits. Should I worry yet? I know I haven’t seen any fights yet and their space is doubling this weekend.

Hello and welcome to the forum :thumb:

A bond between two females is possibly the most challenging, although the fact that they are sisters might help.

I think your Does are approaching puberty and the behaviour will be hormonal. The fur has been pulled probably when the rabbits were chasing. It might hopefully have been just a single occasion, but I would watch their behaviour very closely over the next day or two, as chasing can lead to fighting, when injuries could occur. I would be especially watchful when you enlarge their accommodation, which could unsettle them.

You might need to separate them until they are spayed and then rebond them afterwards.

I hope all goes well :)

Hello and welcome to the forum :thumb:

A bond between two females is possibly the most challenging, although the fact that they are sisters might help.

I think your Does are approaching puberty and the behaviour will be hormonal. The fur has been pulled probably when the rabbits were chasing. It might hopefully have been just a single occasion, but I would watch their behaviour very closely over the next day or two, as chasing can lead to fighting, when injuries could occur. I would be especially watchful when you enlarge their accommodation, which could unsettle them.

You might need to separate them until they are spayed and then rebond them afterwards.

I hope all goes well :)

This. Separate now, before there is a serious injury, and the risk that they may never successfully live together. Neuter (at 6 months old if both are female), then rebond.

What do you mean by fur hanging off the side? is it just loose separate hairs of fur, or is the hanging fur attached to skin-which is an injury?

Also, make sure they are both girls as some young bunnies classed as does soon reveal themselves as bucks.

I would guess hormones could be cause to.

Back