• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Odin's in stasis :-( UPDATE -his eye burst!!

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
Not eating, panting, very quiet. Just waiting for a callback to confirm when the emergency vet can meet us at the practice. Please hold him in your thoughts :(:(:(

Last edited:
Just back, no evidence of blockage, most likely teeth again, had metacam and emeprid and subcut fluids, to syringe feed in an hour if he isn't eating by then. Dental to arrange in the morning.
By the time I had them settled back in their house he was a bit brighter and showing interest in food, have thrown a handful of anything and everything that is bunny edible at them and he's had a bit of a nibble. Hopefully I can avoid syringe feeding but will check on him shortly - need to get a very tired puppy to bed now.

So sorry, been a crazy morning getting everyone ready, ringing vets, getting to work via various icerinks and then work's been non-stop.
Odin was eating when we left them at half 1, albeit slowly, but I raided the garden and found some fresh celery leaves, mallow and some grass, bit frozen but he seemed to like them. Hubby checked him at 5am again and he took some herbs from his hand and was eating when he arrived too.
This morning he is definitely eating, still slow but consistently, and a good variety including hay and hay blocks, and he took his Oxbow joint tab that he refused last night. I think he's got a sore mouth on the right side as his ear is dropping and he's tilting a bit that way as if it hurts, not like a head tilt.
My vets are slammed but as he is eating we are going to monitor, give pain relief, and keep a very close eye and he is booked for a dental on Wednesday. Obviously if he becomes urgent again then he'll be done sooner as an emergency. Stocking up on lots of fresh herbs and heading out to find some good grass to cut for him to try and keep him interested til then.

I'm glad Odin started eating again. I hope he's doing okay today and that his dental will go well tomorrow and he'll be much more comfortable. Sending him lots and lots of vibes.

I have never been so glad to be dropping an animal off - he kept eating, and was fairly active but so much dribble, and his poor eye was just red and covered completely by this morning. But they went in together, Freja gets spoiled rotten when she's waiting for him so she doesn't mind spending the day there.
I picked him up as soon as he was awake, and got him tucked up at home. Had 2 sharp teeth, but like needles, and one was right at the very back. Both filed down, and ointment to help his eye settle, and whilst he wasn't quite eating when I left for work he was showing interest and moving about a bit more, legs still wobbly.
Hopefully he'll be awake enough to eat when i get home, and I foraged a load of fresh plantain and cow parsley to tempt him with as well bought herbs.
At least now I know when I *think* his eyes might be not quite right that I am right, and I need to book him in instead of second guessing myself. I wonder if it's come from the lack of grass - he doesn't eat so much hay, but he loves grass, I just struggle to get enough that is deemed edible in the winter :-/ Will have to keep trying though, or just accept he needs an annual dental. Could be worse.
Freja is a good nurse, keeps him clean and warm (albeit by lying across the top of him, all 7.5kg of her!), I just wish she wouldn't keep pinching all his tempting food before he gets to it!!!!

Aww I'm glad Freja is a good nurse, definitely doesn't come with the name as I'm terrible at it [emoji1787]

Sending lots of munchy vibes for Odin x

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Odin wanting to eat is good. Like Jane said he may need time for anestesia to wear off. Plus his mouth may be a bit sore.

Back