• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Odin's in stasis :-( UPDATE -his eye burst!!

If it is, is it just a case of antibiotics?

And do you think his sight could come back?

Sometimes abx can reduce the abscess size but it is seldom curative. Enucleation is usually the best option. Rabbits can cope perfectly well with just one eye. If the diseased eye is non functioning all it will be doing is causing pain. So they certainly don’t miss it.

Skull radiographs would be the starting point though.

Sometimes abx can reduce the abscess size but it is seldom curative. Enucleation is usually the best option. Rabbits can cope perfectly well with just one eye. If the diseased eye is non functioning all it will be doing is causing pain. So they certainly don’t miss it.

Skull radiographs would be the starting point though.

Yeah, I suspect that will be happening on Monday. Just trying to get him as comfy and strong as possible before they knock him out again.
If the antibiotics keep it under control can we afford to give him a week or two to just recover from the stress a bit before they operate? He is eating better today, took quite a bit of food straight from a plate instead of just the syringe, and his poos are improving. He took all his meds happily too by himself, including the antibiotics.

Yeah, I suspect that will be happening on Monday. Just trying to get him as comfy and strong as possible before they knock him out again.
If the antibiotics keep it under control can we afford to give him a week or two to just recover from the stress a bit before they operate? He is eating better today, took quite a bit of food straight from a plate instead of just the syringe, and his poos are improving. He took all his meds happily too by himself, including the antibiotics.

Your Vet is the best to give advice about whether to wait and see if the abx bring about any improvement. Having his GI tract functioning as well as possible would certainly be a good thing prior to having a GA.

Your Vet is the best to give advice about whether to wait and see if the abx bring about any improvement. Having his GI tract functioning as well as possible would certainly be a good thing prior to having a GA.

That's what I'm thinking. His poos are greatly improved in size and quantity today, but it's taken a week. If he gets knocked out for x-rays tomorrow then it will take us more time to get him going again.
Just tried him with fibreplex and he point blank refused it, even hidden, but will try again later.

That's what I'm thinking. His poos are greatly improved in size and quantity today, but it's taken a week. If he gets knocked out for x-rays tomorrow then it will take us more time to get him going again.
Just tried him with fibreplex and he point blank refused it, even hidden, but will try again later.

I have yet to know a Rabbit who likes Fibreplex. He might take it with some fruit, the syringe is a bit of a monstrosity.

It's so difficult to know the best way forward at times. I would imagine that if it is what Jane has suggested then it will possibly be best to get it done quickly as I had a Rabbit with an abscess behind her eye but it had spread too much to be able to operate on her.

I have yet to know a Rabbit who likes Fibreplex. He might take it with some fruit, the syringe is a bit of a monstrosity.

Oh really? It was suggested by a rabbit friend because it was more palatable! He wouldn't even take it when I decanted and mixed with a bit of puree. I'll keep trying, maybe I can mix it in with the liquid food, dilute it down in that.

Sending vibes for him

My lot detest fibreplex. I'm not sure it's the flavour but it's a very chewy paste.

I usually squish it between two basil leaves to hide it but often that fails and the syringe is needed.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Well what a difference a day makes - by this evening his eye has reduced dramatically, he is SO much brighter, bopping around the place, standing up to say hello a bit, and looking for nose bumps. There has been a lot of good poo today - it's small, but healthy, looks how I would expect for the diet he's been eating really. And it's all over the plae, including 2 piles around the dry food bowl (mixed dry forage, some pellets, some fibresticks). But most of all when we put their herbs in tonight he went straight for them, even before Freja, and though he didn't eat much he did eat a few bits, and nibbled a bit of pak choi too. And he's still taken a good 3-4 syringes of food - I managed to hide the fibreplex in that so he's got some at least.
I'm kind of hoping that my vet feels he is doing well enough to just give him a break and keep on with antibiotics, just to get him on a level again, even if it's just a few more days. And I guess if the eye has gone down then it means the abcess must be smaller which can only be a good thing when it comes to removing it? But I feel happier tonight anyway, not out of the woods but my boy is back, and it was lovely just sitting watching him eat again.

That’s great news. It certainly seems that the improved has occurred as the abx have kicked in. I expect your Vet will recommend holding off doing a GA at.this stage and review things at the end of this week. Sending lots more vibes x

Well, totally different bunny this morning, scratching at my knee to get his syringes and literally guzzled down nearly 5 whole syringes!! He wouldn't even wait for me to refill it, I had toput a block on the floor for him to lick at too to have chance. His eye has gone down to almost normal size, 3rd eyelid is badly damaged from drying out, but he was just almost his normal cheeky self. There was poo all over, a pile of caecals as well but hopefully that will level out as his diet improves.
Vet was really pleased and is just going to go down the antibiotic route for now, gave him another injection of depocillin, I've to do the same on Wednesday, then back in on Friday for a check up. Still got oral antibiotics every day, emeprid twice a day, metacam once a day, isothal for his eyelid and I'll keep cramming him with syringe feeds for as long as he wants them, apart from anything else it's also the easiest way to get pellets into him without Freja stealing them all, and she really doesn't need any extra food!
Oh, and he also said there is a pupillary response to light so he is hopeful that his sight will return! He is blinking much more normally, and his other eye is also "larger" again ie not sunen and pinched like it has been from pain and stress.
I don't know yet what the longterm plan is, but from what I've read some can respond to just longterm antibiotics, but for now I am just going with the flow, and enjoying seeing Odin being more himself.

This is a very good update and fingers crossed the abx will do the trick. Sending him more vibes. x

Oh, I'm so glad Odin is doing better. :love: It's nice that he's enjoying his syringe food so much, too! That's promising that there's a sign his sight might return. I hope it will, and that the antibiotics will be enough treatment for him. Sending him so, so many more vibes. :love:

Casper and Sophie both really like it and will lick it off a plate, so now you know two rabbits. :lol:

Back