Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Odin's in stasis :-( UPDATE -his eye burst!!

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    It really does sound like a retrobulbar abscess. I do hope that there will be some improvement once the abx have had a chance to kick in.
    If it is, is it just a case of antibiotics?

And do you think his sight could come back?

Quote Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
    If it is, is it just a case of antibiotics?

And do you think his sight could come back?
    Sometimes abx can reduce the abscess size but it is seldom curative. Enucleation is usually the best option. Rabbits can cope perfectly well with just one eye. If the diseased eye is non functioning all it will be doing is causing pain. So they certainly don’t miss it.

Skull radiographs would be the starting point though.

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Sending lots of vibes for him!

Alpha Buck

Sometimes abx can reduce the abscess size but it is seldom curative. Enucleation is usually the best option. Rabbits can cope perfectly well with just one eye. If the diseased eye is non functioning all it will be doing is causing pain. So they certainly don’t miss it.

Skull radiographs would be the starting point though.
    Yeah, I suspect that will be happening on Monday. Just trying to get him as comfy and strong as possible before they knock him out again.
    If the antibiotics keep it under control can we afford to give him a week or two to just recover from the stress a bit before they operate? He is eating better today, took quite a bit of food straight from a plate instead of just the syringe, and his poos are improving. He took all his meds happily too by himself, including the antibiotics.

Yeah, I suspect that will be happening on Monday. Just trying to get him as comfy and strong as possible before they knock him out again.
    If the antibiotics keep it under control can we afford to give him a week or two to just recover from the stress a bit before they operate? He is eating better today, took quite a bit of food straight from a plate instead of just the syringe, and his poos are improving. He took all his meds happily too by himself, including the antibiotics.
    Your Vet is the best to give advice about whether to wait and see if the abx bring about any improvement. Having his GI tract functioning as well as possible would certainly be a good thing prior to having a GA.

―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Alpha Buck

Your Vet is the best to give advice about whether to wait and see if the abx bring about any improvement. Having his GI tract functioning as well as possible would certainly be a good thing prior to having a GA.
    That's what I'm thinking. His poos are greatly improved in size and quantity today, but it's taken a week. If he gets knocked out for x-rays tomorrow then it will take us more time to get him going again.
    Just tried him with fibreplex and he point blank refused it, even hidden, but will try again later.

That's what I'm thinking. His poos are greatly improved in size and quantity today, but it's taken a week. If he gets knocked out for x-rays tomorrow then it will take us more time to get him going again.
    Just tried him with fibreplex and he point blank refused it, even hidden, but will try again later.
    I have yet to know a Rabbit who likes Fibreplex. He might take it with some fruit, the syringe is a bit of a monstrosity.

―John Steinbeck.

Wise Old Thumper

It's so difficult to know the best way forward at times. I would imagine that if it is what Jane has suggested then it will possibly be best to get it done quickly as I had a Rabbit with an abscess behind her eye but it had spread too much to be able to operate on her.

Alpha Buck

I have yet to know a Rabbit who likes Fibreplex. He might take it with some fruit, the syringe is a bit of a monstrosity.
    Oh really? It was suggested by a rabbit friend because it was more palatable! He wouldn't even take it when I decanted and mixed with a bit of puree. I'll keep trying, maybe I can mix it in with the liquid food, dilute it down in that.

Sending vibes for him

My lot detest fibreplex. I'm not sure it's the flavour but it's a very chewy paste.

I usually squish it between two basil leaves to hide it but often that fails and the syringe is needed.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk