• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Odin's in stasis :-( UPDATE -his eye burst!!

Pleased Odin is recovering well, but a bit slow. Would he like some Readigrass in the winter?

They have readigrass in one of their litter trays as he prefers it. He has been eating the hay recently, you can tell by his poos even when he was struggling, but he does prefer grass.

He's still not quite ready to eat, bit more perky in himself and had a really good drink half an hour ago. He took his metacam from the syringe a couple of hours ago so I didn't need to force it. His poor eye is awful though, still very red and swollen and really weeping. Is this likely to just be leftover from being flushed and irritated? I have Isothal but not put it in yet, wanted to see him eat before I mess with him any more today. I just worry there is more to it than just those sharp bits :-/

Oh, so many vibes for Odin. I'm glad they took care of his teeth, and gave you something for his poor eye. That's lovely that Freja is taking such good care of him, even though she also steals his tempting food. ;):love: It's understandable that he wasn't quite ready to eat yet last night; his mouth could still be sore from the procedure. It's promising that he's a bit more perky and had a good drink, at least. How's he doing today? I hope he's feeling better and has started eating.

Drinking is a good start :) I'm not sure I could cope with a Freja blanket :lol: I'd give his eye 24-48hrs post op to sort itself out, plus the isothal will help when you cna give it, and I understand the reluctance to give it while he's not eating but also relief from his eye problems might help make him comfortable?

Well, my poor boy is still not right, he is perkier in himself, and they both came running last night when I shook the treat pot which was good to see, but he just took a few pellets (science selective samples, they are not normally pellet fed, I use them as occasional treats) and then went off to hide. He took an Oxbow joint tablet from hubby, he'd only take half the day before, and he is eating small amounts of stuff just not enough.
His chin is still wet, and his eye is so red though it *might* have improved slightly, it just still looks swollen to me, the eye itself, but I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion.
Hubby cleaned them out this morning and forgot to notice any tiny poos which is a pain, though I did notice some soft ones, not much. But he is very perky in himself, bobbing around quite a bit, not normal, but up on all levels and moving nicely.
I've got some fibreplex coming on a friend's recommendation, and I have some recovery food that I might try syringing later if he'll take it. Spoke to the vet today who said that is was the opposite side that had the bad teeth which is a blow. I just wonder if there is a tooth pushing on his eye that has been missed. But he is giving us something different to Isothal, cant remember what but I'll get that tomorrow. Wondering if I should ask for ranitidine as well? He's still on metacam which he takes with gusto.
Just wondering - if he'll eat pellets over fresh food, can he just eat pellets for a few days until he is more himself? Or is it worth feeding him them in the hope it stimulates his appetite? I'll have to buy a whole bag which is a pain but I'll do it if it would be the best thing for him. They have fibresticks but he isn't eating them. He's turning his nose up at all the herbs we offer, and I haven't found grass that either of them will consider yet.

Did he have skull radiographs ? Could it be a retrobulbar abscess caused by an elongated and infected tooth root ?

For now I would let him eat what he can as it’s important to keep his GI tract motility going

Poor Odin :( I agree with Jane, eating anything is better than nothing in the meantime. Hope you can find a cause for his issues and resolve them.

I also agree with Jane and Keletkezes, I think anything he will eat is what he needs at the moment. I wonder if he will eat the recovery food out of a bowl or from a spoon. You could also try whizzing some herbs or readigrass to mix with it if he would prefer it. Anything really to try to fill his tummy up.

What did the vet say was wrong with his eye? It does seem odd that it's the opposite side to the sharp teeth. I'm also wondering whether having pain relief is resulting in a pain-free mouth now, as he can bite on SS pellets. That might also indicate that his discomfort is currently emanating from his eye or possibly his digestive system if he's not been eating enough.

I hope you can establish what the cause is. Has the vet suggested you take him back for them to re-examine?

Sending him lots of vibes.

Did he have skull radiographs ? Could it be a retrobulbar abscess caused by an elongated and infected tooth root ?

For now I would let him eat what he can as it’s important to keep his GI tract motility going

I am wondering this. He didn't have x-rays - long story short, not his usual vet, noticed the red and thick 3rd eyelid but just thought it was normal for him and didn't link it to the teeth because the sharp teeth were the opposite side.

I've bought a bag of science selective so will try and hand feed him as much as possible - I can't leave it out as Freja will eat them all and she doesn't need any extra! I've also got some fruit for him to try, grapes, blueberries, banana, as he used to really like them and doesn't get them often so though they are far from ideal they'd be better than nothing.

I also agree with Jane and Keletkezes, I think anything he will eat is what he needs at the moment. I wonder if he will eat the recovery food out of a bowl or from a spoon. You could also try whizzing some herbs or readigrass to mix with it if he would prefer it. Anything really to try to fill his tummy up.

What did the vet say was wrong with his eye? It does seem odd that it's the opposite side to the sharp teeth. I'm also wondering whether having pain relief is resulting in a pain-free mouth now, as he can bite on SS pellets. That might also indicate that his discomfort is currently emanating from his eye or possibly his digestive system if he's not been eating enough.

I hope you can establish what the cause is. Has the vet suggested you take him back for them to re-examine?

They have so many fresh herbs, he is eating a bit but not his usual amounts by far. I've bought some baby food sachets to mix with the recovery food in case he doesn't eat it as it is, or as an alternative. It is odd that he is eating the hard stuff and dry stuff over fresh.
At the moment I don't want to rush to take him back in as it took until today for Freja to bounce back from the visit, so it has clearly upset them both. I'm using her as a measure, she is pretty robust normally but hasn't spoken to me until today. But I spoke this morning and he is changing the treatment, and agreed to try him on fibreplex.

To be fair, I've just come home and went to give him his metacam and the redness looked a bit less by torchlight, but I'll need to wait til they are inside later for a good look. So maybe it just got really inflamed as a result of general irritation? His 3rd eyelids have always been quite prominent, could it just have got scratched or maybe irritated by Freja licking too much keeping him clean?

Don't know how to change thread title but - HE'S EATING! We just spent an hour cramming him as much as possible, he ate a whole handful of pellets just putting them in front of him, then had a few berries and grape and a bit of banana, then took some puree from the syringe (to test if he would syringe feed) so I added a bit of recovery to the puree and he really enjoyed that so we ended up giving him a whole sachet of recovery too, and by then he was choosing to tuck into a cavalo nero leaf all by himself :D I did see him nibbling stuff outside too a couple of hours before this.
He's still not impressed by all the lovely herbs we've got, but he's eating, and the few poos I saw since he came in (he was only in a few mins) were fibrous but small. Hopefully by tomorrow he'll have got going again, and the fibreplex arrives then too. His chin still looks a mess but it as actually dry, just all clumped together, so maybe things are better than I thought.
His eye still worries me considerably, but if he needs to go back in then I'd rather he did it from a position of healthy gut and eating than already struggling.
He can have recovery sachets for a while can't he? I can get more tomorrow from the vets, is he better with that to boost him than too many pellets, or is it not much different to just grinding pellets to syringe him with? I've got science selective pellets too, but they are timothy hay based whereas recovery is alfalfa based.

Don't know how to change thread title but - HE'S EATING! We just spent an hour cramming him as much as possible, he ate a whole handful of pellets just putting them in front of him, then had a few berries and grape and a bit of banana, then took some puree from the syringe (to test if he would syringe feed) so I added a bit of recovery to the puree and he really enjoyed that so we ended up giving him a whole sachet of recovery too, and by then he was choosing to tuck into a cavalo nero leaf all by himself :D I did see him nibbling stuff outside too a couple of hours before this.
He's still not impressed by all the lovely herbs we've got, but he's eating, and the few poos I saw since he came in (he was only in a few mins) were fibrous but small. Hopefully by tomorrow he'll have got going again, and the fibreplex arrives then too. His chin still looks a mess but it as actually dry, just all clumped together, so maybe things are better than I thought.
His eye still worries me considerably, but if he needs to go back in then I'd rather he did it from a position of healthy gut and eating than already struggling.
He can have recovery sachets for a while can't he? I can get more tomorrow from the vets, is he better with that to boost him than too many pellets, or is it not much different to just grinding pellets to syringe him with? I've got science selective pellets too, but they are timothy hay based whereas recovery is alfalfa based.

I would just grind some pellets down and feed him that. As he will be getting Fibreplex too CC is not essential. I would minimise the fruits as the sugar content won’t help his guts if he has a lot of them. So ground down pellets, Fibreplex would be best as the majority of his intake. Also any fresh forage you can get your hands on.

Is his eye swollen ?

I am glad he is eating better and while you may not want to have ga and skul x-ray if he is struggling , it may be beneficial to have the vet check his eye.
It is interesting to observe food preferences following dentals, which may be related more to technique used to ingest a particular food than the consistency of the food.

I'm glad Odin is eating much better now. Good job, Odin. :love: His eye does sound worrying, though, and I hope that whatever is causing it will be easily taken care of. Sending lovely Odin so many vibes.

Not good. His eye was much worse this morning and I don't think he could see. Back to vets, on antibiotics and anitinflammatory drops, and extra pain meds, and when we got home he had 3-4 syringes of food, was pooing ok but very small. Got emeprid to help too.
Had a panic earlier when we tried to give him his meds and check him, refused everything, breathing was awful, rang vets. Long story short I didn't realise quite how dopey he would be with the extra pain meds, and the breathing might just have been stress - I didn't realise they had tried to check his mouth again (we can't go in with them) which he finds incredibly distressing.
So, thinking we were losing him, I managed to squeeze the antibiotics in and left him to sleep.
Just been up now and he is perkier, ears are up, he's sitting up, and he deigned to eat a grape (I'm trying not to give him fruit but it is the ultimate for him, so I know if he refuses that we are really in trouble). I offered metacam but he wouldn't take it from the syringe so I stuck it all in a raspberry and he lapped it up happily. So he has had his antibiotics and painkillers, and he had emeprid this morning (another later if I can), and all we can do is wait. He did take a tiny bit of liquid food but tbh it's not their eating time right now, they often don't eat for much of the day and start around 10pm, so we will try and get more proper food into him then. I just like to get metacam in well before so he is as painfree as possible when he is likely to want to eat.
We're back in on Monday and if it isn't looking any better then he'll stay in for x-rays, but hopefully 2 days of antibiotics will have started to make a difference. Their rabbit consultant (who they ring for advice) said he might well need injecting every other day for a long time to clear it up, assuming it is an abcess, but that's fine .
I don't know if his sight will come back but he can manage with one functioning eye. He just has to live.

He's definitely perkier, washed his eye with antiinflammatory drops and he happily took 3 syringes of food as well as a raspberry with his emeprid in (he took half of it then said no, so thought it was worth trying to get the second half in). He also ate a few pellets by himself. Not as good as last night, but then freja wasn't eating as much as normal either, she was quite quiet, so I think they are just both a bit stressed by the day. Fingers crossed for some change for the better overnight, but at least he's still fighting.

It really does sound like a retrobulbar abscess. I do hope that there will be some improvement once the abx have had a chance to kick in.

Back