• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding take 2

Hi all

I thought I'd start a new thread to chart the progress of Fudgie and Inky's bond.

They've spent the last week living side by side, separated by a wire mesh barrier. Thankfully there was little aggression between them, more wary curiosity.

I started the official bond about an hour ago. They didn't start off fighting this time, thank goodness! They were nose to nose for a short while and after about 10 mins in, Inky groomed Fudgie! I'm not sure if Fudgie appreciated it as she was frozen like a statue! I think she is definitely still wary of him.

There was a bit of a chase when she moved. I think they both need to calm down on that front. Inky has been nipping Fudgie a fair bit. I know that's normal for bonding but he was doing it a bit too much and Fudgie was getting fed up. It looked like a potential fight trigger so I gently discouraged him.

Fudgie is still quite scared and is back in the corner. But on a positive note, they did some mirrored grooming, albeit at opposite ends of the kitchen!

I'll keep you all updated throughout the day.

Bravo to you slh. This is sounding so much better and you’re going to have a beautiful bonded pair, once they’ve settled.
I wish I had an ounce of your skill and patience. Sending loads of positive bonding vibes for you. X

Thanks PM 😀

So, we're about 5 hours in. Inky was a bit full on earlier. He was grooming Fudgie (and asking for grooms back but wasn't getting anywhere there!). He was very much in Fudgie's face. They did have a nap next to each other earlier and Inky did snuggle into Fudgie. On the face of it, it looked quite sweet but I could tell Fudgie was still very tense. It felt like he was trying to push things forward too quickly. Having said that, she definitely had a sleep when they were side by side as I heard her snoring so she may be starting to relax a bit.

He's moved away from her for now and when he approaches, instead of freezing Fudgie is facing him down. The body language seems to be "you're too full on and you need to back off a bit". He seems to be getting the message now and isn't quite so intense.

It all sounds very promising :love: I'm pleased that Fudgie is starting to relax a bit more. It must be very difficult for them to have these arranged marriages :)

Inky sounds quite intense. Sounds similar to Rudey bonding. I'm glad fisticuffs have been kept to a minimum hope Fudgey relaxes soon . Are you taking photos?

Argh, bloomin' rabbits! They're just like humans, can't just talk it out politely :lol: Best of luck, sounds like it's going really well TBH...

We're about 12 hours in and I'm really pleased with how they're doing so far. Fudgie has relaxed a lot more and is actively engaging with Inky. Inky has read the social cues and is dialling it down a lot. Fudgie still has a bit of a freak out if Inky makes any sudden moves but she's doing a lot better than she was earlier.

They're currently sitting next to each other eating hay. I've just taken a pic that I want to upload but the imgur app keeps crashing on me. If I'm still having issues in the morning, J&B would you mind if I email you the photo so you can post them for me?

Hopefully if they carry on the way they are I'll be able to unveil Inky's new name. Keletkezes, I think you'll approve of it!

Aww that all sounds really good.

Has Inky been a single bun for long?

When Rodney came to us from the rspca he'd been single his whole life and social cues were not his strength at all bless him.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Hopefully if they carry on the way they are I'll be able to unveil Inky's new name. Keletkezes, I think you'll approve of it!
Oooh, exciting! It's really going well, I hope it carries on :D I mean it has to know or we'll never know :lol:

Aww that all sounds really good.

Has Inky been a single bun for long?

When Rodney came to us from the rspca he'd been single his whole life and social cues were not his strength at all bless him.
Very good point. None of ours have been great. Aboleth was all about dominance and face-humping, Lopsy was too stupid to learn, and Chibbs was single for 5yrs and likes to throw her weight around. Bonding is truly going to be a nightmare, isn't it :lol:

It's been a fairly quiet day today so far. Inky is still a bit chasey but it's blowing over very quickly. Hopefully he'll calm down with that once he realises we've accepted him as lord and master of the manor.

Other than that they've been eating and sleeping pretty close together, so I think they're slowly getting there.

J&B has very kindly offered to upload a couple of pics for me as I'm still having tech issues with imgur.

On behalf of Scrappy I present the awesome Inky & beautiful Fudgie - they look good together :love:

PF4zmmol.jpg

voNnj3hl.jpg

That looks like a big Willoughby! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Looking good tho!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back