Thread: Best straw recommendations please

Default Best straw recommendations please

Hi, I have decided to give straw another go in my rabbit hutch because if I use hay, they just use and treat the place as a litter tray. I have so far only bought the pets at home straw, which is so tightly packed, when you pull at it to get some straw, you can only get tiny little bits. Plus the packet itself seems to include lots of tiny bits that I don't think are safe for them. I'm looking for some nice long, soft, easy to grab! Insulating straw. Amy recommendations please? I'm new to bunnies. Thanks

Warren Veteran

See if there is a horse supply place near you - they will do bales, if you have room to store one. Search for 'equestrian supplies'.

I do have space. What would I store it in? A big cloth type bag?

Warren Veteran

A single duvet cover is useful for storage and transport. If it's stored outside, it needs to be cool, dry and off the floor where air can circulate round it (eg on a pallet or bricks if in a garage or shed, and not against a wall as it may get damp & mouldy). I use wheely bins to store hay in a shady spot outside - a 240 litre bin just fits a bale. Cardboard boxes are another option.