• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time for a vet visit again

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
My dad took Casper and Sophie to the vet for me on Friday as they're both having issues. :( Casper has a weepy eye, but the vet checked his eye and it's okay, no damage or anything, so he now has eye drops twice a day and that should help within a few days, the vet said. For Sophie, her poops have been a lot smaller than her normal ones. She's eating well and the vet checked her over and she's fine, so he thought that it might be because of her Emeprid twice a day, that it's making things go through her system too fast to form normal-sized poops. So, we've halved her dosage now. Her poops are still small today, but a little bigger, so hopefully that was the issue and she'll be better in a couple of days...

They've been seeing the vets a lot this year. I guess it's because they're both a bit older now? I'm not sure why else they keep having problems with everything... :(

Ah, I’m sorry they have had issues again, they are clearly well cared for and loved so it is unlucky they have needed to go to the vets more lately. As you say I would think their age is the main factor in that.

Maybe it is effective at age but I have the same problem, we go to the vet almost every 2 weeks. Cookie's eyes, like Casper, sometimes have discharge, sometimes white patches, sometimes redness for no reason, and we experience this very often. Last time I found a good veterinarian and she made an accurate observation, he understood that it was allergic. She said that Cookie is an allergic rabbit so we are constantly having these problems with his nose and eyes. Currently, Cookie's eyes are still red from time to time, I clean his eyes with the solution and he is relieved. Now, when allergy complaints increase and turn into an infection, we go to the vet. (Unfortunately, allergic rabbits are more prone to getting sick, just like humans). When we come to the Netherlands, we will go to the vet you found for us, I wonder what they will do for these diseases of Cookie. I am grateful to you for this, I will never forget this kindness. Thank you so much.

I hope Casper and Sophie get well soon I send a lot of vibrations for them. Please update us xxxx

Last edited:
Sorry Casper and Sophie have had to have another vet visit, sending them both lots of vibes xx

I really hope they get on with their meds well & they do the trick. I think it probably is their age, as with people ailments & niggles tend to creep in more & one thing invariably has an impact on the other. Mousey has had weepy eyes since Rudey left - so probably well before but he was cleaning them (you see / feel the discharge in her fur but her eyes themselves are bright) & its a long time since she did a good sized poop. My vets seem to be of the opinion that these things happen with ageing bunnies & the focus seems to shift from fixing to managing. Its certainly nothing you can be doing / not doing. Your bunnies have the best lives & they are luck to grow old being cared for by you.

I'm sorry the bunnies have both been to see the vet again. Hopefully Casper's eye drops and Sophie's change in medication dosage will do the trick. I very much agree with j&b that when they get older it's a case of managing rather than being able to fix things. Very much like people I think :)

Fingers crossed the drops and change in emeprid do the trick.

I've not had many older buns but have noticed my buns seem to have a run of things and then seem fine for a long while and then the pattern repeats.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I hope that Sophie and Casper will soon be doing better again. It’s always such a worry when our Bunnies are not 100% well x

Thank you for your kind words, everyone, and for hoping Sophie and Casper will be helped by the medication and change in medication. :love: I think you're right, j&b and Omi, that when they get older it starts being more about managing issues rather than fixing them. They're both doing well today. The fur under Casper's eye was dry this morning, and Sophie's poops have gotten a bit bigger, though they're still small.

Thank you for your kind words, everyone, and for hoping Sophie and Casper will be helped by the medication and change in medication. :love: I think you're right, j&b and Omi, that when they get older it starts being more about managing issues rather than fixing them. They're both doing well today. The fur under Casper's eye was dry this morning, and Sophie's poops have gotten a bit bigger, though they're still small.

Super news :love: Well done bunnies.

Back