• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for my bunny family of Netherland Dwarves (Separating etc.)

impoppy

New Kit
I have taken on a Netherland dwarf and her 4 kits - 3 does and a buck, they are 7 weeks old and all are a good size/weight running around happily jumping over one another and everything, slightly alarmed earlier as saw 2 upside down legs moving was worried but as I got close they were nursing from Mum.

I just thought it would be helpful for advice on splitting the family/when, as I have no one at present to talk things through with. the priority has to be with the buck and neutering to prevent accidents, what age should I seperate him until he can be operated on and 6 weeks+ of recovery passes? I know to look for the obvious
and can be done at 3 months but as we all know bucks can hide them. Then long term ensuring happy rabbit harmony. Would them remaining together work due to the herd mentality or should i look to 1 trio and a pair.

Also worth checking with regards to Mum, (she is over a year old I do not know her DOB though her vaccinations are up to date) When a good time for her to be spayed would be. She is sweet already doesn't mind me petting her. Obviously she is mature enough but it would mean time away from her family. I am trying to keep stress down as much as possible for these. She is looking at me right now as I am typing this - I wish I could read her mind!

Thank you

The Buck needs to be separated at 10- 12 weeks. As well as needing the testicles to be descended before neutering the Buck needs to weigh at least 1kg.

If you keep the Does with Mum keep a close eye on things as she will possibly start to object to them suckling soon and chase them off. Things can get lively and injuries can occur. You might need to remove Mum into a different environment. She will need a good 8 weeks of recovery before being spayed.

The Kits can be vaccinated from the age of 5 weeks. There are numerous outbreaks of RHD all over the U.K. at the moment, I strongly advise you get the Kits vaccinated ASAP. I note that Mum is vaccinated but her vaccine status will not help protect the kits.

Mums can tolerate their babies around them for up to 12 weeks, maybe longer, you will know. She will be ready to be spayed about 8 weeks from now. If you are going to put her back with her babies monitor her closely as babies might not recognise her as Mum after being at the Vets as she will smell differently. She will also not want to be pestered for a few days post spay.

I want pictures! Make sure mom and does have enough space and continue to verify gender to avoid surprises.
Weaning time can be stressful for all , so watch closely for tummy issues in kits.
My does are spayed because I had a prior doe develop uterine cancer and learned it is quite common.

Back