Thread: Please help, bunny with crusty lumps at each side of mouth..

Default Please help, bunny with crusty lumps at each side of mouth..

Hi everyone, Iím new here and looking for some advice. My mini lop has dark crusty lumps at each side of his mouth. One bigger than the other. I thought it was dried food stuck to him until I rubbed his fur and he didnít like it.
    They are greeny black, the colour of rabbit nuggets actually. He is eating and drinking fine and going to the toilet ok too.
    Has anyone had any experience of this with their bunnies?
    Any help or advice appreciated. I have a photograph but not sure how to upload.
    Thanks.

Wise Old Thumper

Hi, welcome to the forum First of all this is how you post photos on the forum http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...to-Post-Photos

How long have the crusty lumps been there? Without seeing a photo, it is possible that they are dried food. Have you tried using some water to soften the matter? I could imagine that they might produce some pain if you try to remove them in their dried state, which is why your bunny didn't like it.

There's a possibility that the lumps are aspirated food and so it's important to try to establish what they are and how they came to occur.

Warren Veteran

I would get him looked at by a vet. There's definitely something not right, but we would only be guessing. He needs a proper examination to see what's wrong, and appropriate treatment.

Just a couple of thoughts:
    Are his vaccinations up to date?
    Does he chew the bars of a cage or run?

Wise Old Thumper

It could be Rabbit Syphilis and, if it isn't food, he needs to see a Vet.

Hi, I only noticed them today, as I felt them when tickling his chin. they are tucked under his little cheeks and fur hanging over them so may have been there a little while.
    Iíve tried dampening in case it is food but it doesnít disintegrate. They are black brown scabs at each side.
    He doesnít really chew anything. But when heís loose in the garden he does like to nibble at the apple tree twigs. Thatís all I can think of.
    Not sure if relevant but about 3 weeks ago he was at vets with a suspected water infection. Vet gave him metacam and antibiotics and he was fine within a week. Could medication fed by syringe into his mouth have caused this?. He had no visible sores or scabs then. Heís 7 and Iíve had him since a baby bunny and never seen anything like this before.

Wise Old Thumper

If it is Syphilis your Bunny will need Penicillin injections. They can also get scabs on their genitals. Hope he will be ok.

You need to consult your Vet as it is impossible to say what the lumps might be without being able to see or feel them. Possibilities are Treponematosis, Dental problems, Dermatitis, Infected scent gland, Rabbit Oral Papilloma Virus amongst other things. The sooner you consult a Vet and obtain a definitive diagnosis and appropriate treatment the better the prognosis. Good luck.

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !