• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad & angry

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Morning everyone, I didn’t get much sleep last night because of a particular post & general advice on a group Iv just joined on rabbit bonding. Firstly I seen a post about people that adopted a male bunny who was already bonded to a female already! They took human& left the female behind!! This has broke my heart the thought of them being separated & brought back memories of Bella losing shadow when she died. Apparently it was a humane society which I don’t know yet what that is but Iv asked. Also for bonding this is what they do. The 2 rabbits go in a pen only big enough for them to flip out at first for the introduction. If they fight it gets broke up with gloves or dustpan & this gets continued until it stops & keep trying this. Then when they don’t it gets expanded. Apparently they need to sort things out & the fighting will die down. To me putting them in such a tiny space is cruel & just separating when fighting. I’m going to have to leave the group as they seem to think they will bond eventually after this method. The thing is if a fight happen then within seconds injuries can happen so to allow another fight to me is this not very dangerous for bunnies. It all makes me so sad xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning everyone, I didn’t get much sleep last night because of a particular post & general advice on a group Iv just joined on rabbit bonding. Firstly I seen a post about people that adopted a male bunny who was already bonded to a female already! They took human& left the female behind!! This has broke my heart the thought of them being separated & brought back memories of Bella losing shadow when she died. Apparently it was a humane society which I don’t know yet what that is but Iv asked. Also for bonding this is what they do. The 2 rabbits go in a pen only big enough for them to flip out at first for the introduction. If they fight it gets broke up with gloves or dustpan & this gets continued until it stops & keep trying this. Then when they don’t it gets expanded. Apparently they need to sort things out & the fighting will die down. To me putting them in such a tiny space is cruel & just separating when fighting. I’m going to have to leave the group as they seem to think they will bond eventually after this method. The thing is if a fight happen then within seconds injuries can happen so to allow another fight to me is this not very dangerous for bunnies. It all makes me so sad xx

That seems like pretty standard bonding technique to me!

Humane society is a rescue centre in USA, sounds like the members are American :)

But its normal to put the buns in a small space and break up fights with a broom etc (not hurt the buns, I just inserted it in and they were like what is this?! And got distracted [emoji38]) also had gardening gloves on for if I had to intervene, coz rabbits can be nasty!

Once the rabbits settle down you can increase the space slowly bit by bit.

It doesn't always work ofc and some buns will not get on, you have to watch and see what they do etc and judge it.

Sounds like the group upsets you tho, so best to leave x

Eta - not sure what you mean about they left the bun behind, did they swap their single bun for a pair?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dreadful that they split the bonded pair. But the bonding method is a well known and well used technique. As long as the space isn’t so tiny they can’t move it can be an effective method.

I never use a bonding method that means neither Rabbit can move. I never use a dustpan to separate Rabbits should a fight break out. Totally unnecessary imo and I don’t give a stuff who tells me I am wrong. I am now confident in my own judgements based on 25 years of experience.

You go by what you feel will be right for your Rabbits Clair. Tonibun on here has been helpful to you in the past I think.

Separating an established bonded pair is cruel, selfish and not in any way ‘humane’

I have left most of the Rabbit FB Groups as I found most of them to be bullying, judgemental and unhelpful.

I am so sorry you have been upset but when you are involved with Rabbits and forums there will be lots of sad things you will read. Your heart will get broken again and again. This is the main reason I have many Rabbits. I have always bonded in a large space but many people do it differently.

I'm not a member of any other groups as I see stuff that upsets me too.

But for me a small space is my go to and has always worked, never too small though the rabbits still have enough space to move around and sit not touching/directly near eachother. For me large spaces have never worked as I get the rabbits sitting far apart and if one moves the other runs which is more likely to start a fight. But I tailor the space to how the rabbits are reacting but I've often had to make it smaller. Slow bonds with splitting up often have not worked for me as I find the rabbits reset themselves and go back to square one every time whereas I do 24/7 together with splitting up just for a few seconds with gardening gloves if needed. I have however had to give one rabbit a break from this as he was scared and wouldn't eat at first so for his health he needed a break. But others do it differently and it works for them so it's good there's a range of techniques to try

But for me a small space is my go to and has always worked, never too small though the rabbits still have enough space to move around and sit not touching/directly near eachother. For me large spaces have never worked as I get the rabbits sitting far apart and if one moves the other runs which is more likely to start a fight. But I tailor the space to how the rabbits are reacting but I've often had to make it smaller. Slow bonds with splitting up often have not worked for me as I find the rabbits reset themselves and go back to square one every time whereas I do 24/7 together with splitting up just for a few seconds with gardening gloves if needed. I have however had to give one rabbit a break from this as he was scared and wouldn't eat at first so for his health he needed a break. But others do it differently and it works for them so it's good there's a range of techniques to try
Yea I agree, I guess "small space" is a subjective term too tho. For me that's a 6ft cage, or sometimes a 4ft one if your name is Willoughby [emoji19][emoji38] or like maybe 4/6 puppy panels. It's only temporary, I think the benefit of having a friend they love negates the small time they spend without masses of space.

I had to keep Willoughby and Apricot in a smaller space for longer than I'd like, but now they have loads of space and are so loved up and happy :)

We used the small space technique after side by side living and a fight breaking out using the dating method.

It was about 2m by 1m and not ideal, but they bonded well and moving into their own space went so well.

Although I must admit the 24/7 supervison was hard to keep up for long but that was more because Rodney is a funny boy when it comes to bonding and quite bullish.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Humane society is a rescue centre in USA, sounds like the members are American :)

But its normal to put the buns in a small space and break up fights with a broom etc (not hurt the buns, I just inserted it in and they were like what is this?! And got distracted [emoji38]) also had gardening gloves on for if I had to intervene, coz rabbits can be nasty!

It doesn't always work ofc and some buns will not get on, you have to watch and see what they do etc and judge it.

Eta - not sure what you mean about they left the bun behind, did they swap their single bun for a pair?

Hi Graciee, yes it really upset me so Iv left the group as it’s not for me. I just don’t think it’s safe to allow them to fight even just for a few seconds as they can hurt eachother severely. I also feel a space so small that they can only flop is kind of like stress bonding in a way because they are in such a small space. What happened was they took the male to bond with their bunny & he was already in a bonded pair. He was bonded with a female at the place but they just said they fell in love with the male & took him [emoji174]. Him & his bonded female got separated which is so, so sad it really upset me. For the life of me I don’t know why this was allowed as he was bonded with her & they were together. They will both be wandering where eachother is. They also say it doesn’t matter what the sex of the pair is they can bond. I’m no expert but I know male & male isn’t the best to pair. Not to say it can’t work but I think female/make is meant to be the best chance of pairing. I know some males can be paired if neutered or in a group but I think that so many will take this advice & have failed pairings as it’s 2 makes. I may be wrong though xx

Thank you for clarifying about the rescue. It must be American group or perhaps just Americans who posted that particular post. That makes it so much worse that a rescue would allow a bonded pair to be separated like that! It’s just cruel xx

Dreadful that they split the bonded pair. But the bonding method is a well known and well used technique. As long as the space isn’t so tiny they can’t move it can be an effective method.

Hi, yes it really is horrible isn’t it. Iv had to leave the group as in my heart this method just doesn’t sit right with me for bonding rabbits. I guess it must be as it’s a huge group & all people are doing it. What I find bad is if they fight just stopping it & starting again. I just feel like this means they are not compatible. I’m not an expert but just not for me xx

I never use a bonding method that means neither Rabbit can move. I never use a dustpan to separate Rabbits should a fight break out. Totally unnecessary imo and I don’t give a stuff who tells me I am wrong. I am now confident in my own judgements based on 25 years of experience.

You go by what you feel will be right for your Rabbits Clair. Tonibun on here has been helpful to you in the past I think.

Separating an established bonded pair is cruel, selfish and not in any way ‘humane’

I have left most of the Rabbit FB Groups as I found most of them to be bullying, judgemental and unhelpful.

Hi, I agree with you completely. It doesn’t sit right with my heart this way & it’s not for me at all. I feel if they fight then that’s a sign that pair weren’t meant to be together if you’ve tried the side by side & it still happens to me that’s sadly it. As much as I’d live them to bond I just couldn’t do that method & break it up & then keep doing until they are bonded. Gosh imagine the injuries that could happen! Some you might not even see as could be under the fur & get infected. I think being in such a small space is not good for any bunny & not fair to do that to them. It’s kind of a bit like stressing them out doing it. Yes Toni has been so helpful & kind to me & the bunnies. I’m very grateful for everyone commenting advice to help me as I’m completely new to this. Iv left the group & that’s it for me. I thought it would be different & people in same situation but then when I found out about methods it was clear it wasn’t for me & my 2 bunnies. Everyone on it does the same method & that’s it xx

I am so sorry you have been upset but when you are involved with Rabbits and forums there will be lots of sad things you will read. Your heart will get broken again and again. This is the main reason I have many Rabbits. I have always bonded in a large space but many people do it differently.

Hi Toni, thank you [emoji3590]. Yes it’s so upsetting. I cry at anything happy or sad but with animals it really hurts me. Just seeing my twos wee faces I just can’t help but love them. Iv left the group as it’s not for me at all. My 2 are going to live side by side till new year like inspector morse suggested [emoji846]. Still not gave up hope yet so will see how we go. At least they will have a bit of company that way as right now I have 2 line bunnies & it’s not nice. Iv fallen in love with Morgan xx

Hi liz, yes your right about groups & Iv left that one. What if the rabbits fought did you mean you would stop it & then still have them in there? It’s just if they fight then to me that means they don’t want to be paired & could get injured. My 2 are going to live side by side & in new year try again in a bonding pen in a neutral room. Hopefully it will go ok for them. I tried just putting both in a neutral room but they fought. I separated in second though & no injures thankfully. Bella immediately tried to mount Morgan from behind but he kept running off. I think she wanted him to submit to her asserting dominance & maybe if he did let her hump him they wouldn’t have fought & that would have been bella claiming top bun. After that they faced eachother & lunged into a fight xx

Hi Toni, thank you [emoji3590]. Yes it’s so upsetting. I cry at anything happy or sad but with animals it really hurts me. Just seeing my twos wee faces I just can’t help but love them. Iv left the group as it’s not for me at all. My 2 are going to live side by side till new year like inspector morse suggested [emoji846]. Still not gave up hope yet so will see how we go. At least they will have a bit of company that way as right now I have 2 line bunnies & it’s not nice. Iv fallen in love with Morgan xx

Hopefully this work out fine for you and your bunnies. Morgan sounds a lovely boy, he's so lucky to have come to you. I hope you don't feel disheartened by the attitude of the other forum, and very pleased that you joined this one :) Good luck ! xx

We used the small space technique after side by side living and a fight breaking out using the dating method.

It was about 2m by 1m and not ideal, but they bonded well and moving into their own space went so well.

Although I must admit the 24/7 supervison was hard to keep up for long but that was more because Rodney is a funny boy when it comes to bonding and quite bullish.

Hi, I’m glad you 2 bonded [emoji846]. The group didn’t recommend 2m by 1m it was way smaller than that sadly. Yes I can imagine the supervision was very exhausting. When my 2 go into the bonding pen in the new year in the neutral room, I’m going to have to sleep in there. That’s if when I try it again they are ok & don’t fight. Then I will stay with them for at least a week. Xx

Hopefully this work out fine for you and your bunnies. Morgan sounds a lovely boy, he's so lucky to have come to you. I hope you don't feel disheartened by the attitude of the other forum, and very pleased that you joined this one :) Good luck ! xx

Hi, aw thank you so much [emoji3590]. He’s adorable & Iv fallen in love with him already. Iv now left the group as it just wasn’t for me. Will see how we go in the new year with them both after living side by side xx

Hi liz, yes your right about groups & Iv left that one. What if the rabbits fought did you mean you would stop it & then still have them in there? It’s just if they fight then to me that means they don’t want to be paired & could get injured. My 2 are going to live side by side & in new year try again in a bonding pen in a neutral room. Hopefully it will go ok for them. I tried just putting both in a neutral room but they fought. I separated in second though & no injures thankfully. Bella immediately tried to mount Morgan from behind but he kept running off. I think she wanted him to submit to her asserting dominance & maybe if he did let her hump him they wouldn’t have fought & that would have been bella claiming top bun. After that they faced eachother & lunged into a fight xx

It depends if it was a serious fight, a serious fight is locked together and rolling, or flying at each other that kind of thing which luckily I've never experienced. Mounting, chasing and fur pulling is all normal during bonding. I separate if chasing is going on for a while, mounting is at the head end, or if getting too rough and I think any of these might lead to an actual fight. I separate and give a distraction like a big pile of fresh hay/herbs/veg sprinkled in and that's always been enough. I've bonded one of my rabbits 5 times due to loss of companions and he's unfortunately a huge mounter and fur puller. If they were genuinely fighting I'd think they'd go straight back for eachother. I've only experienced two guinea pigs fighting like that during bonding but the bond did work out eventually and the pigs were happy together until one sadly passed away years later.

Hi, I’m glad you 2 bonded [emoji846]. The group didn’t recommend 2m by 1m it was way smaller than that sadly. Yes I can imagine the supervision was very exhausting. When my 2 go into the bonding pen in the new year in the neutral room, I’m going to have to sleep in there. That’s if when I try it again they are ok & don’t fight. Then I will stay with them for at least a week. Xx

That's what we did, I slept in our spare room with them for pretty much all of last Jan. Well I attempted to sleep anyways [emoji1787]

Nothing like cage rattling at 5am to tell you it's breakfast time 3 hours early every day [emoji1787]

But we went for a month as we had a hospital stay for Rodney midway so we had to split them for that.

They'd had a small fight before we started this method where poor Rodney was bitten and screamed, we waited for the memories to fade a bit before trying again. It was a few months I think.

Back