• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit pellets

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
I'm going to have to buy some more hay for Tui, as she has come to the end of the type of home-grown hay, that is acceptable to her and I saw these pellets on the Haybox site.

https://haybox.club/collections/pellets/products/premium-rabbit-pellets

Has anyone tried them and are they popular with your rabbits? She normally has a few SS pellets and really loves them, so I'm nervous that she'd be upset with these, but they do seem to be preferable ingredients-wise.

I'm also looking for some grass-only pellets (or at least no alfalfa), if anyone has any recommendations. I may try these anyway as they look OK for the rabbit I need them for.

I'm also looking for some grass-only pellets (or at least no alfalfa), if anyone has any recommendations. I may try these anyway as they look OK for the rabbit I need them for.
dollyanna IIRC posted some grass pellets for horses somewhere here.

I've tried Galens Garden grass pellets previously and neither Tui, nor Tethra, would eat them. So I wouldn't be very optimistic that she would eat a pellet just made of grass. The Haybox ones, although much more expensive seem to have a variety of wildplants in them, which would obviously add to the flavour.

What's chop? Is it like Readigrass?

What about feeding her a handful of Readigrass a day instead if grass is all you want from a pellet feed My 6 get Readigrass.

What about feeding her a handful of Readigrass a day instead if grass is all you want from a pellet feed My 6 get Readigrass.

No it's not grass that I want from a pellet feed really. I use pellets for two reasons. Firstly to hand feed to Tui to get her more confident with me. I thought this would be sensible *if* I ever get to the stage of bonding her with another rabbit. And secondly to coax her into different areas of her accommodation. SS works very well for both of those. She'll happily climb over my legs now to get a pellet and also instantly come when called to where I want her to be. I can cut her grass most of the year too from the garden. She still has some most days.

The reason I was considering the Haybox pellets is mainly that I was considering her hay and realised that to buy the 10kgs size meant that you were 1p under the delivery free option and I wouldn't want to try a larger quantity without knowing she would eat it. It's also not as though we have other bunnies to feed it to if she didn't :lol: So I considered adding the pellets to the order as they are possibly healthier than SS, although the quantity she has means this is not an important factor.

Anyway I decided late last night to stick to what I know and have ordered her previously-liked stalky Timothy from timothyhay.co.uk. The issue with the delivery charge with Haybox also is deliberate and I find that annoying.

I've very happy with her weight (4.5kgs). She gets no treats of any sort other than the pellets. Sometimes it's best probably to keep to what works and what she is happy with.

No it's not grass that I want from a pellet feed really. I use pellets for two reasons. Firstly to hand feed to Tui to get her more confident with me. I thought this would be sensible *if* I ever get to the stage of bonding her with another rabbit. And secondly to coax her into different areas of her accommodation. SS works very well for both of those. She'll happily climb over my legs now to get a pellet and also instantly come when called to where I want her to be. I can cut her grass most of the year too from the garden. She still has some most days.

The reason I was considering the Haybox pellets is mainly that I was considering her hay and realised that to buy the 10kgs size meant that you were 1p under the delivery free option and I wouldn't want to try a larger quantity without knowing she would eat it. It's also not as though we have other bunnies to feed it to if she didn't :lol: So I considered adding the pellets to the order as they are possibly healthier than SS, although the quantity she has means this is not an important factor.

Anyway I decided late last night to stick to what I know and have ordered her previously-liked stalky Timothy from timothyhay.co.uk. The issue with the delivery charge with Haybox also is deliberate and I find that annoying.

I've very happy with her weight (4.5kgs). She gets no treats of any sort other than the pellets. Sometimes it's best probably to keep to what works and what she is happy with.

Ah, I see. I got the wrong end of the stick. Very unlike me, I know :lol:

Ah, I see. I got the wrong end of the stick. Very unlike me, I know :lol:

It was me looking for grass pellets - I jumped in on the thread cos it looked to be the way it was going, and therefore useful to me and chronic UTI bunny who can't have standard pellets but is struggling to maintain weight on hay & forage - plus it's going to be more difficult in winter without bribes of some sort. So I probably confused the issue. :oops:

It was me looking for grass pellets - I jumped in on the thread cos it looked to be the way it was going, and therefore useful to me and chronic UTI bunny who can't have standard pellets but is struggling to maintain weight on hay & forage - plus it's going to be more difficult in winter without bribes of some sort. So I probably confused the issue. :oops:

Haha no, no need for :oops: It's actually made for a far more interesting and comprehensive thread,

Have you considered trying your bun with something like the Supreme Vetcare Urinary Tract food https://supremepetfoods.com/products/vetcare-plus-urinary-tract-health/ I haven't tried them, so no idea how yummy they would be. But might be better for maintaining weight than just a grass pellet.

It takes very little to confuse me :lol:

Back