• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Claudes hock is bleeding

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Im just finishing cleaning the buns cage out claude was running around in the dining room i noticed blood on the floor and is hock is bleeding quite badly what can i do?
I noticed the other day his hocks were getting sorer

I can't really offer any advice except resist the temptation to put antiseptic on it (as I nearly did when Zeus' got sore) I checked with my vet and if they licked it off it could be dangerous.

Apparently baths soften the skin and make it worse.

Maybe try a small bandage to protect it.

Sorry I haven't been very helpful but I didn't want to look without saying something - I hope it doesn't take long to heal - you can't really tell Claude to keep the weight off his feet ;) !

Caz

You can try applying pressure to stop the bleeding in the short term. Then perhaps a protective bandage to give it a change to heal. Maybe a baby sized sock wrapped on with vets magic stick-to-itself tape.

Whats he living on at the moment, maybe only let him on vetbed for a few days with no running on carpet or hard floor?

Tam

Tamsin said:
You can try applying pressure to stop the bleeding in the short term. Then perhaps a protective bandage to give it a change to heal. Maybe a baby sized sock wrapped on with vets magic stick-to-itself tape.

Whats he living on at the moment, maybe only let him on vetbed for a few days with no running on carpet or hard floor?

Tam
He lives in a puppy pen,he has lots of blankets and vet bed on the floor,he has been on vet bed since 8 weeks old it hasnt really made any difference

cheeky had that a few years ago , it was caused by him sitting still for too long on the carpets. What the vet done was made a donut shape ring from cotton wool and then wrappred some gauze around it . He placed this over cheekys heels and then wrapped bandage and then sticky tape around it to keep it on . He was like this for nearly two weeks , it was funny to look at but no fun for cheeky ... he was not happy at all . The vet tried to cheer him up by giving him one bright green bandage and one bright pink but everyone in the vets fell about laughing when he came out the surgery :oops: , he did recover and on the odd occasion when it flares up , I treat it the very smae way at home . The idea of the donut shape is that his heel is not making contact with the floor so therefor the pressure sore has time to get better . the vet used an antibiotic cream on his heel and i bought a tub from my local pet store . Try it and see if it works .

Hi Marie,

This is a common problem in rex rabbits as they have quite sparse fur under their feet to protect them compared with other types of rabbit. This is the reason that rex breeders bed them down in a hutch with very thick woodshavings to try to prevent it. I assume you mean underneath the foot when i say this?

Perhaps if you have any carpet, it is causing a degree of friction on his little rex feet or even if he is racing around on any type of flooring that isn't soft & cushioned that this is what is prone to happen anyway.

Maybe bathe them with warm salty water & apply plenty of vaseline, then confine him to a cage with just vetbed (so he keeps the feet dry & protected) until the feet recover.

If he's a hutch rabbit then obviously lots of thick absorbent bedding instead.

Maybe he needs a pair of bunny slippers? :rabbit2: :lol:

I will second the salty water approach as this caused Cosmos' neuter to heal really fast where he removed the glue and the vet was really pleased when he went back in for his check up with how fast it had healed (sealed up shut in a week). I bathed the area twice a day with a teaspoonful of salt dissolved in half a cup of warm water.

The doughnut bandage is a great idea too to keep the weight off while it heals!

Caz

P.S. Knew people would be along with good ideas!! :D

Bunnyboarding said:
Hi Marie,

This is a common problem in rex rabbits as they have quite sparse fur under their feet to protect them compared with other types of rabbit. This is the reason that rex breeders bed them down in a hutch with very thick woodshavings to try to prevent it. I assume you mean underneath the foot when i say this?

Perhaps if you have any carpet, it is causing a degree of friction on his little rex feet or even if he is racing around on any type of flooring that isn't soft & cushioned that this is what is prone to happen anyway.

Maybe bathe them with warm salty water & apply plenty of vaseline, then confine him to a cage with just vetbed (so he keeps the feet dry & protected) until the feet recover.

If he's a hutch rabbit then obviously lots of thick absorbent bedding instead.

Maybe he needs a pair of bunny slippers? :rabbit2: :lol:
Yes the vet said when he first got them about 14weeks that it could of been caused by friction off the carpet,ive noticed though the last few times he has been out he doesnt race around like he used to :(

Diddeen said:
Is it better today Marie?
I hope he is.. did u have to make him slippers?
well the bleeding stopped after about 10mins it just looks sore
i dont think he would let me put any bandages on his feet he would get to stressed

claude says hello
0a6f2e2288713a45c629cde826531122.JPG

Awwwwww hello Claude you little cutie pie.
When Harley had sore feet our vet gave us Dermisol Cream, it says 'helps speed natural healing. Dermisol cream aids the removel of necrotic tissue and debris from wounds and ears, in horses, cattle dogs and cats only' :? Not sure why rabbits aren't included can only assume it's not licensed for use in rabbits. It helped Harleys feet. I imagine the cream toughens up the skin.
Maybe worth a try asking your vet for some.
Angela

Aawww he's gorgeous. Glad bleeding stopped.. so is he banned to his vetbed now then? Hope they heal up quick so he can get back to his usual antics.

Diddeen said:
Aawww he's gorgeous. Glad bleeding stopped.. so is he banned to his vetbed now then? Hope they heal up quick so he can get back to his usual antics.
yes im lucky that they live in a large puppy pen so plenty of room if he cant come out

awwww Marie he's gorgeous, hope he'll be alright.
You'll have to carpet your room in vet bed! :lol:

sore feet

I've read that plenty of vaseline or babys petroleum jelly applied to the hocks can be of help. Two of my buns occasionally get red circles of sore skin under their heels and I use petroleum jelly for babies the same as used for nappy rash and they heal up. Your bun may have had 'carpet burn' and the wearing of baby socks has been suggested altho I don't think mine would keep them on long !!!!!
I also remeber hearing cream recommended for 'piles' in 2-foots may help. Anyone else heard this?????
Lynne :p

Lynne, I have heard of piles cream being used before. I was going to suggest it but then I remembered people also use Preparation H to heal tattoo's or well used to but then about a year ago I saw a sign when I was being dragged around tattoo shops by my OH saying that one of the ingredients had changed and it wasn't safe to use for tattoo's now. So I assume it also wouldn't be safe to use on hocks as I guess the main ingedient is used to toughen up the skin which is why people with tattoos use it. Dunno if other farmer gile's cream's would be suitable though.

Angela

Back