• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To bond or not to bond………

Sonja05

New Kit
My rabbit Benjie sadly passed away 2 weeks after having his incisors removed leaving behind his sister Belle. She has been surprisingly upbeat since he passed. She’s eating more, a lot more active and playful . She’s a free range bunny so we spend a lot of time with her. I’ve contacted the local rescue and we have found a potential suitor for her, she’ll be meeting him in neutral ground next week. Part me keeps thinking is she perfectly happy on her own as a single bunny? Has anyone had a similar experience or could give me some advice? Thank you 😊

Over the last 25 years caring for over 150 Rabbits there has only been one occasion where the bereaved Rabbit refused to accept another companion. So I would say that it is very, very unusual for a Rabbit to be happier alone. Even a House Rabbit. I would certainly always try to find a bereaved Rabbit a new companion as 99.9% of the time they will be a lot happier.

I'm sorry to hear about Benjie :( Its great Bella seems fine but i agree with IM. a bunny friend is always best

After her sister died my Lola was super upbeat and cheery. I think because her sister had been ill it was a relief for Lola when she died . She didn't take any time to say goodbye to the body like she had with the two previous friends she'd lost. I they they pick up on more than most people would think and maybe Belle knew her brother wasn't 100%.

Point is Lola was visibly the happiest I'd seen her in ages, BUT the second we bought another rabbit in to the household she was overjoyed. She spent about 2 days thundering around the flat at top speed, binkying all over the place, flopping in to my lap or by the bars next to him. Long story short I would never hesitate to try rebonding. You've got nothing to lose but potentially a lot to gain.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. Battlekat - Belle has reacted exactly the same as Lola. I guess it must a relief when the partner is not well. Belle is meeting a devilishly handsome boy called Hugo at the rescue this weekend. Hopefully all will go well and we can start the bonding process. Thanks again x

Back