Thread: To bond or not to bond………

Default To bond or not to bond………

My rabbit Benjie sadly passed away 2 weeks after having his incisors removed leaving behind his sister Belle. She has been surprisingly upbeat since he passed. She’s eating more, a lot more active and playful . She’s a free range bunny so we spend a lot of time with her. I’ve contacted the local rescue and we have found a potential suitor for her, she’ll be meeting him in neutral ground next week. Part me keeps thinking is she perfectly happy on her own as a single bunny? Has anyone had a similar experience or could give me some advice? Thank you 😊

Over the last 25 years caring for over 150 Rabbits there has only been one occasion where the bereaved Rabbit refused to accept another companion. So I would say that it is very, very unusual for a Rabbit to be happier alone. Even a House Rabbit. I would certainly always try to find a bereaved Rabbit a new companion as 99.9% of the time they will be a lot happier.

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

I'm sorry to hear about Benjie Its great Bella seems fine but i agree with IM. a bunny friend is always best

After her sister died my Lola was super upbeat and cheery. I think because her sister had been ill it was a relief for Lola when she died . She didn't take any time to say goodbye to the body like she had with the two previous friends she'd lost. I they they pick up on more than most people would think and maybe Belle knew her brother wasn't 100%.

Point is Lola was visibly the happiest I'd seen her in ages, BUT the second we bought another rabbit in to the household she was overjoyed. She spent about 2 days thundering around the flat at top speed, binkying all over the place, flopping in to my lap or by the bars next to him. Long story short I would never hesitate to try rebonding. You've got nothing to lose but potentially a lot to gain.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. Battlekat - Belle has reacted exactly the same as Lola. I guess it must a relief when the partner is not well. Belle is meeting a devilishly handsome boy called Hugo at the rescue this weekend. Hopefully all will go well and we can start the bonding process. Thanks again x

looking forward to some photos!

Wise Old Thumper

I hope that Bella will like her new friend.