• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny passed away this morning

Kitty1972

New Kit
Hello, my 5 and a half loppy inky dink passed away this morning we cant understand why, we took him to vets last night they gave him 2 injections, meloxidyl and metaclop both 20ml syringe, im concerned that this was too much dose for a 2.8kg rabbit, he had gi statis but was eating dandelions. Anyone know much about medications.
Thank you

I am very sorry for your loss. Meloxidyl is a non steroidal anti- inflammatory analgesic and Metoclopramide is a prokinetic, it increases the rate of gastric emptying. Both are standard treatments for gut stasis, once a full gastrointestinal obstruction has been excluded. Gut Stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem. Syringe feeding is advised only after a Vet has insured that there is no full obstruction and the stomach is not bloated. A full obstruction is a surgical emergency.

I'm so, so sorry you lost your dear bunny friend. :( I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but do you mean that the meloxidyl and metoclop injections were given with a 20ml syringe? Because that seems like an extremely large syringe when they don't need that much of the medication.

Sorry if I wasnt making much sense this morning, I meant that they gave him 20ml of meloxidyl by injection and 20ml of metaclop by injection. I believe they could have overdosed him.

[QTE=InspectorMorse;7270191]I am very sorry for your loss. Meloxidyl is a non steroidal anti- inflammatory analgesic and Metoclopramide is a prokinetic, it increases the rate of gastric emptying. Both are standard treatments for gut stasis, once a full gastrointestinal obstruction has been excluded. Gut Stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem. Syringe feeding is advised only after a Vet has insured that there is no full obstruction and the stomach is not bloated. A full obstruction is a surgical emergency.

Thank you, I was told they gave him 20ml of meloxidyl by injection and 20ml of metaclop, do you think the dose was too high.
Thank u

I'm sorry your rabbit has passed away. :( What makes you think the vets gave him 20ml? If it's on the invoice the bottle size may be 20ml but the dosage much lower?

Are you certain it was 20ml? That's a huge amount by injection, or orally if you are doing it at home. More likely to be 2.0 ml, or even 0.20 ml.

As Jane said, stasis is a symptom rather than a cause of something wrong. You did well to spot it and get him to a vet - many owners would not have done. Unfortunately, rabbits are fragile creatures and can suddenly succumb. I'm sorry you lost Inky. Be kind to yourself.

Back