Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bunny passed away this morning

Default My bunny passed away this morning

Hello, my 5 and a half loppy inky dink passed away this morning we cant understand why, we took him to vets last night they gave him 2 injections, meloxidyl and metaclop both 20ml syringe, im concerned that this was too much dose for a 2.8kg rabbit, he had gi statis but was eating dandelions. Anyone know much about medications.
    Thank you

Sorry I'm not that knowledgable about medication but wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

I am very sorry for your loss. Meloxidyl is a non steroidal anti- inflammatory analgesic and Metoclopramide is a prokinetic, it increases the rate of gastric emptying. Both are standard treatments for gut stasis, once a full gastrointestinal obstruction has been excluded. Gut Stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem. Syringe feeding is advised only after a Vet has insured that there is no full obstruction and the stomach is not bloated. A full obstruction is a surgical emergency.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Really sorry to hear that you have lost your bunny.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I'm sorry I can't help with your question but I'm really sorry you lost your bunny

I'm so, so sorry you lost your dear bunny friend. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but do you mean that the meloxidyl and metoclop injections were given with a 20ml syringe? Because that seems like an extremely large syringe when they don't need that much of the medication.
    (Pronouns: he or they)

I am sorry for your loss. GI stasis can happen quickly.

I’m so sorry you lost your bunny

Sorry if I wasnt making much sense this morning, I meant that they gave him 20ml of meloxidyl by injection and 20ml of metaclop by injection. I believe they could have overdosed him.

[QTE=InspectorMorse;7270191]I am very sorry for your loss. Meloxidyl is a non steroidal anti- inflammatory analgesic and Metoclopramide is a prokinetic, it increases the rate of gastric emptying. Both are standard treatments for gut stasis, once a full gastrointestinal obstruction has been excluded. Gut Stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem. Syringe feeding is advised only after a Vet has insured that there is no full obstruction and the stomach is not bloated. A full obstruction is a surgical emergency.

Thank you, I was told they gave him 20ml of meloxidyl by injection and 20ml of metaclop, do you think the dose was too high.
    Thank u