Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all 'floppers'

Default Calling all 'floppers'

Could I please ask for your views/advice or comments please on a matter that is puzzling me.
    New bun Alfred, as some of you will know, is, as someone so elequantly put it, "a bit of a flopper". And whilst I am getting used to the matter, what is starting to puzzle me is the sheer length of time Alfred goes zonko.
    My very first bunny - Max, was quite a flopper himself but periods lasted only a few moments or minutes. But Alfred - well, he's only about 9 months old (we think) and he DBF's for prolonged periods - we're talking 30-45 minutes plus. He's breathing ok, but this morning for example, he's been in DBF mode since about 10am. He's got up a couple of times but then reverts back to the DBF. His ears twitch and even the fresh plate of food wasn't enough to wake him from his slumber.
    Is this completely normal for a flopper to be absolutely zonko for such long periods?
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Completely normal - says boo

i know what you mean though, i've had many a flopper but they don't stay flopped for long. i think boo being deaf is the significant difference

There are words I don't know (zonko, dbf), so I couldn't quite understand what you wrote. But Cookie flops and sleeps for minutes.

Wise Old Thumper

I have a camera set up to watch Tui at night, which I always watch the next morning. She doesn't flop, but does sleep very deeply, so that her head drops to one side several times. Like a person falling asleep in a chair The periods of sleep are very short, under ten minutes at a time I would say. She sleeps in a similar way outside during the day.

Blossom is very serious about her flops and is also impossible to wake unless you actually stroke her.

I think like hoomans some buns sleep deeper than others.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I took this photo 10 seconds ago, Cookie usually sleeps so deep. Craig, is this what you're talking about?

https://imguh.com/image/k5TPW

Phillip is completely zonked out in DBF mode for hours at a time most days! In my non-professional opinion I would say you've got one happy, relaxed rabbit who feels very safe

Treacle would be zonked for ages, she was another deaf bunny bless her.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    I took this photo 10 seconds ago, Cookie usually sleeps so deep. Craig, is this what you're talking about?

https://imguh.com/image/k5TPW
    I love looking at Cookie. Well, if you then flipped Cookie on his side so his entire side is on the flat surface, then this is a DBF - which is known as Dead Bunny Flop. As the name suggests, the bunny goes from a normal standing or sitting postion, then throws him/herself 90 degrees onto their sideas if they'd been struck by a sudden heart attack or something. After a while of observations, one can sort of anticipate when it's coming because the bunny makes certain preparations beforehand.
    'Zonked out' is also a term used to describe an extremely deep almost unconscious state.
    With Alfred, he goes for it in a big way. Rather amuzingly, whilst he was DBF-ing this lunchtime, Flo, who was lurking nearby decided to pick up her dinner bell and throw it about for food - which rather startled Alfred from his dream state.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    I love looking at Cookie. Well, if you then flipped Cookie on his side so his entire side is on the flat surface, then this is a DBF - which is known as Dead Bunny Flop. As the name suggests, the bunny goes from a normal standing or sitting postion, then throws him/herself 90 degrees onto their sideas if they'd been struck by a sudden heart attack or something. After a while of observations, one can sort of anticipate when it's coming because the bunny makes certain preparations beforehand.
    'Zonked out' is also a term used to describe an extremely deep almost unconscious state.
    With Alfred, he goes for it in a big way. Rather amuzingly, whilst he was DBF-ing this lunchtime, Flo, who was lurking nearby decided to pick up her dinner bell and throw it about for food - which rather startled Alfred from his dream state.
    Oh dear, I'm sorry, but Flo throwing the dinner bell did give me a chuckle! I guess we can assume Alfred isn't deaf!

I think I mentioned his deep sleep on one of your other threads. Barring any other odd behaviour or anything suggesting illness I'm going with what others have said about him being supremely relaxed...although a little more time with Flo and her bell may yet change that!