• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elder Bun Nuggets

Now I appreciate Rodney at roughly 5ish is just hitting the elder bun stage and many of you have much older buns.

Did any of you find switching to elder nuggets beneficial?

Blossom is gaining weight and Rodney is maintaining on the usual ones but the vet has said elder ones might help Blossom with the weight gain as they have less protein and support Rodney with his age.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I remember looking at the difference between the elder rabbit ones and the normal ones when I had bunnies over the age of 5. From memory the difference was very slight and I took the view that as my bunnies had very few pellets per day, it really wasn't worth it. I also don't know why all the 'special' menu pellets are so much more expensive than the normal ones.

So in respect of your two, is it possible just to give Blossom fewer pellets (shhh!). I'm not sure what additional support the vet was considering that they would provide for Rodney. Did he say?

She said anecdotally to be fair that the flavourings/additions to them are beneficial. I'm guessing possibly it's a bit like the joint support tabs that somebuns do well on.

Blossom is already down to 3.5g a day [emoji1787] Rodney can eat twice that and maintain weight but she just piles it on.

I use her nuggets to get her more active which works quite well but 3.5g doesn't last long [emoji1787]

This shows the comparison of the various different pellets http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

If the prime reason is to reduce Blossom's weight, then maybe consider something like the Supreme Weight Management formula, which has the same lower protein, but increased fibre.

I do think though that when she is having only 3.5gm, it's unlikely that a change would result in her not putting on weight.

Hmm might try the weight management ones thanks!

And thanks for link in reality it doesn't look like there's much between them!

I guess some buns tolerate nuggets better than others weight wise.

I think that only Burgees has som gingsen and cranberries in it. I do find that they can benifit from at least occasional round of vitamins or glucosamine. Or feeding more herbls like nettle (diuretic, vitamin C, willow bark (antireumatic, antiflmaitory), perhaps some l-carnitin.

Brexit has some (major) down effect. I'm not sure where you can get Rodicare senior. Occasional rounds of it are beneficial. Or Beaphar trink fit, Versele laga opti fit.

I sprinkle pellets orund living room, some in the hay, some on his thrown, some on top of carrier, trat ball has become no go as he is mastered to throw it in the water bowl (every single time!), but it is worth to try wit yours. And some less pellets. Bloodwork is also a good thing. SOmetimes hormones are to blame.

Back