• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bored bunnies in the rain

BethanyRose

Young Bun
Hi, I'm just abit concerned about my buns in the rain. It is so boring for them to be stuck in a run covered by tarp all day. I have to have the tarp over because they are on slabs and if I don't put tarp all the way across and pin it down with stones, then all the water just glides in. I mix up their toys each day, but I just feel so sorry for them not being able to get out into their extended run and playpen and being stuck in this blue world (their tarp is blue). Can anyone recommend any good clear tarp that doesn't cause lots of condensation like the Eglu rain cover does? And goes flat to the floor to keep out the wet. They have an Eglu hutch so obviously can't just hang out in there all day as there's just a small cardboard tunnel and some Hay. Pretty small and boring. I had no idea how difficult it would be to look after buns in the rain. What are your set ups like for rain and what do you do with yours? Playhouse or shed is out of the question I'm afraid. Thanks. Also I notice that my rabbits never flop anymore. They used to sleep flopped in late Summer and when they were indoors for abit following a neutering. But they always sleep like bread rolls now. Is the flopping only done when they are hot? And should I be glad they're not flopping as I always see poor pet shop rabbits flopped. I work from home so keep popping out to remove the tarp when the rain stops. My husband thinks I'm mad ha ha. But just hate them being either wet or not being able to see out. They are 13 week old Nethies x

Last edited:
Flopping usually means contentment, perhaps there is an unwelcome animal visitor coming at night.

I have indoor rabbits so I can't give any practical advice on tarps but hopefully someone else can help.

Any good quality DIY tarp should work, get measurements for what you need and you can always fold to size. I got cheap Lidl ones (grey/green) and they're rubbish. A lot of Lidl's stuff is good quality but these weren't :lol:

I can't believe it but almost just after I posted this they both flopped!! 😀 What are the chances. They just had a nice clean out and are obviously feeling content and house proud. It's also milder and less windy than it has been

My tarp does work. I just feel bad that they can only see out one end and live in a blue world lol! I will check your link

Thanks for the link, maybe I could prop some of that at angles like a tent. The way the Omlet run is designed it's not flat roofed. Honestly I think the people who designed it don't actually have bunnies. So the entire run has to be covered including the sides otherwise the rain comes in at the sides

Back