• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hind leg amputation

I would and have done for a young and otherwise healthy Rabbit but I think I would struggle with the idea for a 10.5 year old Rabbit. But all cases are unique, exceptions can occur.

I get you. thanks JJ. I definitely am struggling with the decision (not that I have to make it yet & may not need to make it at all) . bob is struggling more (he's a shared rabbit, Bob actually thinks Joey is his as I was at work when the adoption paperwork was done)

Makes total sense, I don't think Lopsy would be keen but he also might adapt to it, so I'd try it with Lopsy. He's less 'resistant' than Joey, he likes the nice/less intrusive bits of hands on care, just not having stuff shoved in his face. But I wouldn't put him through a leg amputation, Lopsy's current condition wouldn't cope. I dunno about Joey, I feel like he'd probably cope a lot better, but I wouldn't want to say 'oh he'll be fine, definitely do it!' because I don't see him every day. Also will it be The Thing that turns him into a frail old man from a fit old man? I'd be looking at other options first, maybe not a total amputation, maybe just losing some of the foot or something if that's even a thing. I hope it's nothing too bad and this is all a moot point :thumb:

Thank you. Yeah this option would be laughed out of the window if suggested for Boobly or Mousey. He is the perfect rabbit specimen though - as you know :lol: Amputation would be the option if the tumour has invaded the bone. removing it then is problematic (more so if lab says its a nasty lump) & healing difficult as likely to be left with skin deficit apparently. Leaving it be is another option. Everything hinges on histology & xrays

I don't envy you having to decide. When I think back, anything big like that, having a vet that you trust giving a frank opinion means so much.

I saw a vet on Saturday (a locum, I hope) and she couldn't even manage the decision to x-ray a rabbit in stasis, she was dithering so much.

On reflection from what you say, it may be preferable to not put him though it as he has had a wonderful and long life. ... His blind companion is a worry though - do you think that she is independent enough to cope?

No. I'd get Boobly a friend if we lost Joey. i would not relish bonding her though, she is very reactive to sudden movement during bonding & now she is totally blind I'd be scared. But I'll do it for her of course. She has independent moments but loves human & bunny loves. She has been with Joey a long time, they are really good together :love:

I've also considered that if Joey did become a tripod & we lost Boobly first how would he bond. He has always been top bunny. However I've learnt that kind of long term planning + rabbits just doesn't work

Hi I just wanted to say I’m sorry you’re in this position. It’s really hard, but I’d base it on a discussion with my vet. I really trust my vet(S), and think I’d have an honest discussion about it with them. If it was Zigs, I’d be slightly tempted to do it- argh it’s hard xx

However I've learnt that kind of long term planning + rabbits just doesn't work
Hence this thread, because there's no harm in being prepeared for all the eventualities you can think of, even though it'll doubtless be something totally different that ends up happening :roll:

Joey IS perfect :D I do feel for poor Bob. Joey'd be perfect with three legs as well :love:

Hence this thread, because there's no harm in being prepeared for all the eventualities you can think of, even though it'll doubtless be something totally different that ends up happening :roll:

Joey IS perfect :D I do feel for poor Bob. Joey'd be perfect with three legs as well :love:

I have said to Bob that if he is dead against it, it won't happen. We'll see what transpires

Zigzag - thanks for your kind words too

Regarding Bob- I can see why. If my partner had a very firm opinion, I’d respect that. He would def be in the no camp.

Bing recovered so well, what a little trooper. of course he had you & size on his side. What do you think you'd do with a rabbit like Joey? He is still the same weight as when he was young & not lost any muscle tone that I can tell

I guess if it would improve the quality of his life I may risk it. Only your vet would know the risks at his age of a GA, that's the biggest danger. X

As I think you are aware, chest X-rays would also be needed as if the mass were to be an osteosarcoma then metastatic disease will occur eventually. If signs of metastatic disease were to be evident already that would be a definite ‘no’ from me.. Amputation and chemotherapy is what is needed for dogs diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

thanks BYB & JJ - I definitely agree. No way would I put him on chemo - it instinctively feels wrong to me to give an animal that can't be sick a drug that makes humans feel really sick. That could be well off the mark but its how I feel

thanks BYB & JJ - I definitely agree. No way would I put him on chemo - it instinctively feels wrong to me to give an animal that can't be sick a drug that makes humans feel really sick. That could be well off the mark but its how I feel

I don´t have any experience with rabbits and chemo but I know in dogs and cats when you give chemo it is not the same as when you give it to humans. When you give it to humans the goal is to make the cancer go away completely if you can and therefore they accept a lot of side effects. In dogs and cats the goal is to prolong life and to give the animal a good quality of life for the time they have left so the doses and substances are different because of this. They absolutely doesn´t accept the same side effects as in humans because the goal in animals is different. Sure side effects can happen anyway but in my experience the vets that give chemo are really good and experienced in reducing the side effects.
Hope you understand what I mean and it makes some sense :)
Not saying that chemo is right for every animal of course...

I don´t have any experience with rabbits and chemo but I know in dogs and cats when you give chemo it is not the same as when you give it to humans. When you give it to humans the goal is to make the cancer go away completely if you can and therefore they accept a lot of side effects. In dogs and cats the goal is to prolong life and to give the animal a good quality of life for the time they have left so the doses and substances are different because of this. They absolutely doesn´t accept the same side effects as in humans because the goal in animals is different. Sure side effects can happen anyway but in my experience the vets that give chemo are really good and experienced in reducing the side effects.
Hope you understand what I mean and it makes some sense :)
Not saying that chemo is right for every animal of course...

Aww thanks for explaining Walli - that makes a lot of sense & is good to know fact rather than going of my gut reaction . If chemo meant a lot of vet visits that would rule it out for my boy, my trusted vet is a long drive away & he is such a stressy traveller. Thats absolutely something I need to think about whatever his treatment (or non treatment) entails come to think of it. Super grateful to you - & everyone else x

Aww thanks for explaining Walli - that makes a lot of sense & is good to know fact rather than going of my gut reaction . If chemo meant a lot of vet visits that would rule it out for my boy, my trusted vet is a long drive away & he is such a stressy traveller. Thats absolutely something I need to think about whatever his treatment (or non treatment) entails come to think of it. Super grateful to you - & everyone else x

Yes it would probably mean a lot of vet visits. I wouldn't do it with my very easily stressed rabbit either.
I am sending lots of vibes for Joey!

I've been thinking about this a lot, it's a really tricky situation. I don't think there's any right or wrong decision tbh.

I keep thinking of my tiny robo hamster who was very old and we had spayed because she had uterine cancer. It was have that done or pts. So we figured we'd give her the chance. Obviously it went well and was the right decision, but I was worried because of her age, I wasn't sure if it was the right thing. We mainly went by her though, she didn't seem to be slowing down or anything she was in a good state, and didn't seem to want to give up? That definitely influenced our decision.

So if Joey is good in himself and doesn't seem his age, and the amputation would effectively cure this situation, with no ongoing treatment needed, and assuming it's not spread elsewhere, I'd personally consider it. I know that's probably an unpopular opinion though [emoji38] but yea if Joey is seeming older and you don't think he'd cope etc then that's obviously different. But I'd base it very much on him, himself rather than anything else.

Anyway, just my thoughts! I've been thinking of you all a lot, whatever you decide I know will be in Joeys best interests x

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

How's the lump behaving now? Has it changed since Paul declared war on it? I am thinking along the lines of hoping it stable but given the initial growth spurt, I suppose that seems unlikely.

No experience here but just wanted to say thinking of you and Joey and hope he's feeling his usual happy self x

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

My dilemma with this topic was of a different nature. My wee minirex, Fiver, had injured his left rear leg somehow. It was eventually presumed he'd thrown a blood clot in his saddle area and it cut off circulation, turning his toes dark colors and limiting his mobility significantly. I had hoped the leg could be removed to save his life as he was still mentally bright, but after consulting folks here and taking into account his spinal issues (he was arthritic and already had wonky front legs) it was decided that we should let him go while we could ease his pain and not risk further trauma or possibly infection/gangrene from necrosis. It was the hardest and most bitter decision I've ever had to make because he was still so much himself despite his injury. :cry:

These are never easy decisions and it's totally unfair that we have to make them. Whatever course you take you will no doubt keep Joey's best interest at heart, you are an amazing bunny carer. I know saying that doesn't make it any easier. You're in my thoughts. (((((Huge hugs))))) xxxxx

Back