• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hind leg amputation

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone,

I'm really after some experience & opinions (yes opinions! those things I often try to avoid getting on RU health stuff :lol:)

One of Joeys treatment options (depending on the diagnostics he will have first) could be hind limb amputation.

Significant info. He is 10.5 years old, 2.5k seems healthy, no obv signs of arthritis. He is dreamy to handle but he doesn't like - an independent rabbit rather than a cuddle bun.

IF (& its a big IF) xrays & diagnostics showed no other things going on elsewhere in his body & no signs of arthritis, would it be fair to put him through such a big op. If you feel its not fair is that because you don't feel it'd be right for most rabbits or specific to Joey's age or size. If its his age that would put you off is it because the op has a long recovery time ?

Thank you to anyone who feels able to contribute . It's by no means clear whether we'll have this decision to make but I want to be prepared & think everything through as much as possible .

I must have had a similar decision to make for Rudy but I can't for the life of me remember the reasons regarding the decision.

Rudy was somewhere around nine years old and seemed to walk with one hind leg stiff.

I got Sam to check him out, I think the car journey and his instability was the reason I chose Sam. She tentatively offered a diagnosis of cancer in his stifle (thigh). The leg wasn't removed but I can't remember more than that. Now I am remembering he broke his leg at the point where the cancer was and Heather didn't feel it was fair to amputate so he was PTS. My mind right now says I would strongly consider amputation but I accepted the decision not to with Rudy, I wish I could remember more details.

I am guessing 'do nothing' isn't an option?

I must have had a similar decision to make for Rudy but I can't for the life of me remember the reasons regarding the decision.

Rudy was somewhere around nine years old and seemed to walk with one hind leg stiff.

I got Sam to check him out, I think the car journey and his instability was the reason I chose Sam. She tentatively offered a diagnosis of cancer in his stifle (thigh). The leg wasn't removed but I can't remember more than that. Now I am remembering he broke his leg at the point where the cancer was and Heather didn't feel it was fair to amputate so he was PTS. My mind right now says I would strongly consider amputation but I accepted the decision not to with Rudy, I wish I could remember more details.

I am guessing 'do nothing' isn't an option?

It's an option - yes. theres a few options potentially but i don't like any of them very much. i think it has grown a bit since discovered.

thanks for sharing BB. I think I'd accept Heathers opinion too

I’ve bounced on here because I just wanted to put my support for you. I can’t begin to imagine how I would process this info and you’ve said that there are other diagnosis. In my opinion this would be not only a significant op under normal circumstances but also severely life changing. But I know rabbits, like most animals and also humans, can find ways to adapt and overcome these situations.
Sorry I’m not much help here - but sending loads of vibes for Joey and hugs to you. Xx

I've no experience with this type of operation on a bunny. So, if everything else is OK with Joey, before deciding I would want to read accounts of people whose rabbits have had hind limb amputation. I would take into account the operation and recovery period, but more importantly I would want to be able to assess how disabled Joey would/might be after it had healed. There are probably lots of threads on here of people who have such experience.

My gut feeling is that I would be unlikely to opt for it. This would be mainly to do with his QOL after such an operation plus his age. But it would not be an easy decision.

It's an option - yes. theres a few options potentially but i don't like any of them very much. i think it has grown a bit since discovered.

thanks for sharing BB. I think I'd accept Heathers opinion too

I read back on Rudy's thread and the reason amputation was a no-go was the other hind leg was also diseased. So, as long as the other hind leg can cope and the rabbit otherwise has the character and stamina, I think I would be willing to ampute rather than end life.

I'm really sorry J&B, that's such a horrible dilemma 😔

If I were in your position, I think one of my main concerns would, sadly, be his age. With a younger rabbit I would be much more inclined to seriously consider it as an option. My main worry would whether such a big and life altering operation be a step too far for an elderly rabbit.

The other consideration would be how much after care would he need and how stressful would he find it? How easily do you think he would be able to adapt?

I’ve bounced on here because I just wanted to put my support for you. I can’t begin to imagine how I would process this info and you’ve said that there are other diagnosis. In my opinion this would be not only a significant op under normal circumstances but also severely life changing. But I know rabbits, like most animals and also humans, can find ways to adapt and overcome these situations.
Sorry I’m not much help here - but sending loads of vibes for Joey and hugs to you. Xx

You're v kind Craig, thank you for your input. It is a lot to process

Don't think I'm able to advise, just want to give you a big hug and say hope everything works out well for your boy xxx

I've no experience with this type of operation on a bunny. So, if everything else is OK with Joey, before deciding I would want to read accounts of people whose rabbits have had hind limb amputation. I would take into account the operation and recovery period, but more importantly I would want to be able to assess how disabled Joey would/might be after it had healed. There are probably lots of threads on here of people who have such experience.

My gut feeling is that I would be unlikely to opt for it. This would be mainly to do with his QOL after such an operation plus his age. But it would not be an easy decision.

I agree with all of this Omi. I've been researching lots & will continue - but on here I think I'm more likely to read honesty & the possible downsides. Live discussion is good. The thing is lots of sites show the positives plus additional care. I remember Rhianna had a terrible time with her Cherry who had rear leg amputation & if I recall rightly, I think it failed to heal, she was miserable & had to be PTS. I think we'd be super lucky for nothing to show up on xrays that would make it prohibitive - but there is still a huge part of me that thinks Joey is a super bunny (gene wise). I keep feeling all philosophical about age & what it all means

I read back on Rudy's thread and the reason amputation was a no-go was the other hind leg was also diseased. So, as long as the other hind leg can cope and the rabbit otherwise has the character and stamina, I think I would be willing to ampute rather than end life.

Aww poor boy, yes I can see under those circumstances it would be a definite no. Its so hard. We've discussed how if Joey wasn't coping we could PTS at any point but thats a horrible way to go out, but then when isn't it.

I'm really sorry J&B, that's such a horrible dilemma ��

If I were in your position, I think one of my main concerns would, sadly, be his age. With a younger rabbit I would be much more inclined to seriously consider it as an option. My main worry would whether such a big and life altering operation be a step too far for an elderly rabbit.

The other consideration would be how much after care would he need and how stressful would he find it? How easily do you think he would be able to adapt?

I'm uncertain how much aftercare he'd need tbh. I've read most wounds will heal in a few weeks. He is fine to handle for the extra care he'd need initially in wound management, cleaning his ears, grooming etc but I'd never subject him to the life of Rudey & now Mouse, I really don't think he'd like bum baths in his daily routine. He's not that kind of rabbit. I don't know if that makes sense. Thanks so much Scrappy

Don't think I'm able to advise, just want to give you a big hug and say hope everything works out well for your boy xxx

Thanks Petsmum. we can keep the faith that we won't even have to make this decision (for the right reasons ).

I’ve no idea what I’d do tbh if I was in that situation. So difficult. I always try to go for quality of life over quantity, I would if I was in your position consider his age, I don’t think I would put a pet of that age through an op of that size :cry:

I’m sending lots of hugs and vibes xx

Bing had a rear leg amputation but he was young. Healing and adjustment was very quick. You would be surprised how quickly they recover from an amputation because it isn't invasive internal surgery.

I would and have done for a young and otherwise healthy Rabbit but I think I would struggle with the idea for a 10.5 year old Rabbit. But all cases are unique, exceptions can occur.

I'd never subject him to the life of Rudey & now Mouse, I really don't think he'd like bum baths in his daily routine. He's not that kind of rabbit. I don't know if that makes sense.
Makes total sense, I don't think Lopsy would be keen but he also might adapt to it, so I'd try it with Lopsy. He's less 'resistant' than Joey, he likes the nice/less intrusive bits of hands on care, just not having stuff shoved in his face. But I wouldn't put him through a leg amputation, Lopsy's current condition wouldn't cope. I dunno about Joey, I feel like he'd probably cope a lot better, but I wouldn't want to say 'oh he'll be fine, definitely do it!' because I don't see him every day. Also will it be The Thing that turns him into a frail old man from a fit old man? I'd be looking at other options first, maybe not a total amputation, maybe just losing some of the foot or something if that's even a thing. I hope it's nothing too bad and this is all a moot point :thumb:

I’ve no idea what I’d do tbh if I was in that situation. So difficult. I always try to go for quality of life over quantity, I would if I was in your position consider his age, I don’t think I would put a pet of that age through an op of that size :cry:

I’m sending lots of hugs and vibes xx

I agree quality is the important bit - to date I think he has had better quality & quantity of any rabbit I've cared for. I definitely don't want him to live a miserable life at any cost. After diagnostics we should have a good idea how physically healthy he is but then there is the rabbit spirit thing - some are so resilient & some seem so sensitive. Joey hasn't had any big interventions so I really don't know but I think he is prob in the sensitive camp

I don't envy you having to decide. When I think back, anything big like that, having a vet that you trust giving a frank opinion means so much.

I saw a vet on Saturday (a locum, I hope) and she couldn't even manage the decision to x-ray a rabbit in stasis, she was dithering so much.

On reflection from what you say, it may be preferable to not put him though it as he has had a wonderful and long life. ... His blind companion is a worry though - do you think that she is independent enough to cope?

Bing had a rear leg amputation but he was young. Healing and adjustment was very quick. You would be surprised how quickly they recover from an amputation because it isn't invasive internal surgery.

Bing recovered so well, what a little trooper. of course he had you & size on his side. What do you think you'd do with a rabbit like Joey? He is still the same weight as when he was young & not lost any muscle tone that I can tell

Back