• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hind leg amputation

My dilemma with this topic was of a different nature. My wee minirex, Fiver, had injured his left rear leg somehow. It was eventually presumed he'd thrown a blood clot in his saddle area and it cut off circulation, turning his toes dark colors and limiting his mobility significantly. I had hoped the leg could be removed to save his life as he was still mentally bright, but after consulting folks here and taking into account his spinal issues (he was arthritic and already had wonky front legs) it was decided that we should let him go while we could ease his pain and not risk further trauma or possibly infection/gangrene from necrosis. It was the hardest and most bitter decision I've ever had to make because he was still so much himself despite his injury. :cry:

These are never easy decisions and it's totally unfair that we have to make them. Whatever course you take you will no doubt keep Joey's best interest at heart, you are an amazing bunny carer. I know saying that doesn't make it any easier. You're in my thoughts. (((((Huge hugs))))) xxxxx

:( poor Fiver. Its difficult when their will to go on is so strong.

Just a little update in case anyone searches this topic (I know active members are up to date through other threads)

Joey had xrays which revealed his tumour (plasma cytoma) had already infiltrated his bone.This left us with 2 options- palliative care for as long as we can keep his comfy or amputation. Amputation was ruled out as Joey has some spondylitis (shown on xrays) & I personally felt amputation would only be an option if he had perfect bone & joint health.
My vet was also of the opinion that amputation would be tough on a 10.5 year old bunny - concerned about QofL, recovery time & length of time he'd be under GA. It is her experience that rabbits don't tend to do as well cats & dogs with hind leg amputation. For a younger bun with no health problems I'd still have tried.

Hugs XXX

I guess it was easy for Bing being 12 weeks old, young, healthy and no complications. I'm sorry it's not an option for Joey.

I feel he'd get better and longer QoL from palliative care too. There's the whole period of amputation/surgery recovery to deal with and, with an older rabbit, who knows what's underlying by now that might be kicked off by a period of poorliness. And it's Joey, he doesn't seem the sort to really deal with that kind of full care.

The biggest hugs it hasn't been better news. I know you'll do what's best by him, always, as you have always done :love:

Just a little update in case anyone searches this topic (I know active members are up to date through other threads)

Joey had xrays which revealed his tumour (plasma cytoma) had already infiltrated his bone.This left us with 2 options- palliative care for as long as we can keep his comfy or amputation. Amputation was ruled out as Joey has some spondylitis (shown on xrays) & I personally felt amputation would only be an option if he had perfect bone & joint health.
My vet was also of the opinion that amputation would be tough on a 10.5 year old bunny - concerned about QofL, recovery time & length of time he'd be under GA. It is her experience that rabbits don't tend to do as well cats & dogs with hind leg amputation. For a younger bun with no health problems I'd still have tried.

Totally agree. Rabbits seem to cope with many things really well if the pain is managed and there's someone around in charge of TLC. I hope he remains comfortable for many months to come.

Back