Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hind leg amputation

thanks BYB & JJ - I definitely agree. No way would I put him on chemo - it instinctively feels wrong to me to give an animal that can't be sick a drug that makes humans feel really sick. That could be well off the mark but its how I feel

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    thanks BYB & JJ - I definitely agree. No way would I put him on chemo - it instinctively feels wrong to me to give an animal that can't be sick a drug that makes humans feel really sick. That could be well off the mark but its how I feel
    I donīt have any experience with rabbits and chemo but I know in dogs and cats when you give chemo it is not the same as when you give it to humans. When you give it to humans the goal is to make the cancer go away completely if you can and therefore they accept a lot of side effects. In dogs and cats the goal is to prolong life and to give the animal a good quality of life for the time they have left so the doses and substances are different because of this. They absolutely doesnīt accept the same side effects as in humans because the goal in animals is different. Sure side effects can happen anyway but in my experience the vets that give chemo are really good and experienced in reducing the side effects.
    Hope you understand what I mean and it makes some sense
    Not saying that chemo is right for every animal of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Walli View Post
    I donīt have any experience with rabbits and chemo but I know in dogs and cats when you give chemo it is not the same as when you give it to humans. When you give it to humans the goal is to make the cancer go away completely if you can and therefore they accept a lot of side effects. In dogs and cats the goal is to prolong life and to give the animal a good quality of life for the time they have left so the doses and substances are different because of this. They absolutely doesnīt accept the same side effects as in humans because the goal in animals is different. Sure side effects can happen anyway but in my experience the vets that give chemo are really good and experienced in reducing the side effects.
    Hope you understand what I mean and it makes some sense
    Not saying that chemo is right for every animal of course...
    Aww thanks for explaining Walli - that makes a lot of sense & is good to know fact rather than going of my gut reaction . If chemo meant a lot of vet visits that would rule it out for my boy, my trusted vet is a long drive away & he is such a stressy traveller. Thats absolutely something I need to think about whatever his treatment (or non treatment) entails come to think of it. Super grateful to you - & everyone else x

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Aww thanks for explaining Walli - that makes a lot of sense & is good to know fact rather than going of my gut reaction . If chemo meant a lot of vet visits that would rule it out for my boy, my trusted vet is a long drive away & he is such a stressy traveller. Thats absolutely something I need to think about whatever his treatment (or non treatment) entails come to think of it. Super grateful to you - & everyone else x
    Yes it would probably mean a lot of vet visits. I wouldn't do it with my very easily stressed rabbit either.
    I am sending lots of vibes for Joey!

Just sending love and vibes to Joey and you's

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert&Dillon View Post
    Just sending love and vibes to Joey and you's
    Thank You

I've been thinking about this a lot, it's a really tricky situation. I don't think there's any right or wrong decision tbh.

I keep thinking of my tiny robo hamster who was very old and we had spayed because she had uterine cancer. It was have that done or pts. So we figured we'd give her the chance. Obviously it went well and was the right decision, but I was worried because of her age, I wasn't sure if it was the right thing. We mainly went by her though, she didn't seem to be slowing down or anything she was in a good state, and didn't seem to want to give up? That definitely influenced our decision.

So if Joey is good in himself and doesn't seem his age, and the amputation would effectively cure this situation, with no ongoing treatment needed, and assuming it's not spread elsewhere, I'd personally consider it. I know that's probably an unpopular opinion though but yea if Joey is seeming older and you don't think he'd cope etc then that's obviously different. But I'd base it very much on him, himself rather than anything else.

Anyway, just my thoughts! I've been thinking of you all a lot, whatever you decide I know will be in Joeys best interests x

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

How's the lump behaving now? Has it changed since Paul declared war on it? I am thinking along the lines of hoping it stable but given the initial growth spurt, I suppose that seems unlikely.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

No experience here but just wanted to say thinking of you and Joey and hope he's feeling his usual happy self x

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

My dilemma with this topic was of a different nature. My wee minirex, Fiver, had injured his left rear leg somehow. It was eventually presumed he'd thrown a blood clot in his saddle area and it cut off circulation, turning his toes dark colors and limiting his mobility significantly. I had hoped the leg could be removed to save his life as he was still mentally bright, but after consulting folks here and taking into account his spinal issues (he was arthritic and already had wonky front legs) it was decided that we should let him go while we could ease his pain and not risk further trauma or possibly infection/gangrene from necrosis. It was the hardest and most bitter decision I've ever had to make because he was still so much himself despite his injury.

These are never easy decisions and it's totally unfair that we have to make them. Whatever course you take you will no doubt keep Joey's best interest at heart, you are an amazing bunny carer. I know saying that doesn't make it any easier. You're in my thoughts. (((((Huge hugs))))) xxxxx