Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Hind leg amputation

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,611

    Default Hind leg amputation

    Hi everyone,

    I'm really after some experience & opinions (yes opinions! those things I often try to avoid getting on RU health stuff )

    One of Joeys treatment options (depending on the diagnostics he will have first) could be hind limb amputation.

    Significant info. He is 10.5 years old, 2.5k seems healthy, no obv signs of arthritis. He is dreamy to handle but he doesn't like - an independent rabbit rather than a cuddle bun.

    IF (& its a big IF) xrays & diagnostics showed no other things going on elsewhere in his body & no signs of arthritis, would it be fair to put him through such a big op. If you feel its not fair is that because you don't feel it'd be right for most rabbits or specific to Joey's age or size. If its his age that would put you off is it because the op has a long recovery time ?

    Thank you to anyone who feels able to contribute . It's by no means clear whether we'll have this decision to make but I want to be prepared & think everything through as much as possible .

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,312

    Default

    I must have had a similar decision to make for Rudy but I can't for the life of me remember the reasons regarding the decision.

    Rudy was somewhere around nine years old and seemed to walk with one hind leg stiff.

    I got Sam to check him out, I think the car journey and his instability was the reason I chose Sam. She tentatively offered a diagnosis of cancer in his stifle (thigh). The leg wasn't removed but I can't remember more than that. Now I am remembering he broke his leg at the point where the cancer was and Heather didn't feel it was fair to amputate so he was PTS. My mind right now says I would strongly consider amputation but I accepted the decision not to with Rudy, I wish I could remember more details.

    I am guessing 'do nothing' isn't an option?
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    I must have had a similar decision to make for Rudy but I can't for the life of me remember the reasons regarding the decision.

    Rudy was somewhere around nine years old and seemed to walk with one hind leg stiff.

    I got Sam to check him out, I think the car journey and his instability was the reason I chose Sam. She tentatively offered a diagnosis of cancer in his stifle (thigh). The leg wasn't removed but I can't remember more than that. Now I am remembering he broke his leg at the point where the cancer was and Heather didn't feel it was fair to amputate so he was PTS. My mind right now says I would strongly consider amputation but I accepted the decision not to with Rudy, I wish I could remember more details.

    I am guessing 'do nothing' isn't an option?
    It's an option - yes. theres a few options potentially but i don't like any of them very much. i think it has grown a bit since discovered.

    thanks for sharing BB. I think I'd accept Heathers opinion too

  4. #4
    Forum Buddy Craig 1965's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    5,493

    Default

    I’ve bounced on here because I just wanted to put my support for you. I can’t begin to imagine how I would process this info and you’ve said that there are other diagnosis. In my opinion this would be not only a significant op under normal circumstances but also severely life changing. But I know rabbits, like most animals and also humans, can find ways to adapt and overcome these situations.
    Sorry I’m not much help here - but sending loads of vibes for Joey and hugs to you. Xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    23,679

    Default

    I've no experience with this type of operation on a bunny. So, if everything else is OK with Joey, before deciding I would want to read accounts of people whose rabbits have had hind limb amputation. I would take into account the operation and recovery period, but more importantly I would want to be able to assess how disabled Joey would/might be after it had healed. There are probably lots of threads on here of people who have such experience.

    My gut feeling is that I would be unlikely to opt for it. This would be mainly to do with his QOL after such an operation plus his age. But it would not be an easy decision.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    It's an option - yes. theres a few options potentially but i don't like any of them very much. i think it has grown a bit since discovered.

    thanks for sharing BB. I think I'd accept Heathers opinion too
    I read back on Rudy's thread and the reason amputation was a no-go was the other hind leg was also diseased. So, as long as the other hind leg can cope and the rabbit otherwise has the character and stamina, I think I would be willing to ampute rather than end life.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  7. #7
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    I'm really sorry J&B, that's such a horrible dilemma 😔

    If I were in your position, I think one of my main concerns would, sadly, be his age. With a younger rabbit I would be much more inclined to seriously consider it as an option. My main worry would whether such a big and life altering operation be a step too far for an elderly rabbit.

    The other consideration would be how much after care would he need and how stressful would he find it? How easily do you think he would be able to adapt?

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    I’ve bounced on here because I just wanted to put my support for you. I can’t begin to imagine how I would process this info and you’ve said that there are other diagnosis. In my opinion this would be not only a significant op under normal circumstances but also severely life changing. But I know rabbits, like most animals and also humans, can find ways to adapt and overcome these situations.
    Sorry I’m not much help here - but sending loads of vibes for Joey and hugs to you. Xx
    You're v kind Craig, thank you for your input. It is a lot to process

  9. #9
    Forum Buddy Pets mum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    12,676

    Default

    Don't think I'm able to advise, just want to give you a big hug and say hope everything works out well for your boy xxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I've no experience with this type of operation on a bunny. So, if everything else is OK with Joey, before deciding I would want to read accounts of people whose rabbits have had hind limb amputation. I would take into account the operation and recovery period, but more importantly I would want to be able to assess how disabled Joey would/might be after it had healed. There are probably lots of threads on here of people who have such experience.

    My gut feeling is that I would be unlikely to opt for it. This would be mainly to do with his QOL after such an operation plus his age. But it would not be an easy decision.
    I agree with all of this Omi. I've been researching lots & will continue - but on here I think I'm more likely to read honesty & the possible downsides. Live discussion is good. The thing is lots of sites show the positives plus additional care. I remember Rhianna had a terrible time with her Cherry who had rear leg amputation & if I recall rightly, I think it failed to heal, she was miserable & had to be PTS. I think we'd be super lucky for nothing to show up on xrays that would make it prohibitive - but there is still a huge part of me that thinks Joey is a super bunny (gene wise). I keep feeling all philosophical about age & what it all means

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •