• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Genital lump, red & swollen( pic included)

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, Bella has this lump on her vaginal area. I told the vets when she was in yesterday for her dental & they saw it. Now I’m very concerned that they just prescribed anti inflammatory medicine for a week without telling me what it is or investigating it while she was under. I don’t feel anti inflammatory will do anything when we don’t even know what this is. There’s a smell I can only describe as pus/infection from it. It’s a horrible smell & im really worried as it looks very abnormal. Should I carry on with the anti inflammatory medicine like they said for a week or phone for an appointment to get this investigated sooner than a week. Surely this is something that needs urgent medical treatment. I’m so worried Iv never seen anything like this before. They said they cleaned up down there while she was under but doesn’t look like it to me. Thank you for reading pic below
03074a2815d36216d1854be6b3112afd.jpg

1f227bdba7aa4224f05d4677e7c7662a.jpg

591c1a286fc7bc049560f045757647ac.jpg

dbd16151bc12707f4e440ef09c2150a3.jpg

12a8313fc3e4ad214f0b0c42bb04e06c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, I don't know what this is. I hope someone on the forum knows and can help you.

I don't know, I don't know what this is. I hope someone on the forum knows and can help you.

Hi, thank you for commenting. It looks bad doesn’t it [emoji17]. I really hope someone might know or may have seen before. It’s far from normal & it needs to be investigated by the vets. 4-5 years never seeing a vet before I took her & shadow who passed away 2weeks ago. No check ups nothing. My heart breaks for her. She’s already been at the vets 4 times since may when she came here. Whatever it is I will get it sorted by vets no matter what the cost.Xx

Was the matted fur around her genitals ? If so the swollen vulva is likely to be due to that. The skin becomes inflamed and infected. Is she on antibiotics as well as the anti inflammatory ( Metacam) Did the Vet prescribe a topical treatment to apply to the inflamed area ?

Was the matted fur around her genitals ? If so the swollen vulva is likely to be due to that. The skin becomes inflamed and infected. Is she on antibiotics as well as the anti inflammatory ( Metacam) Did the Vet prescribe a topical treatment to apply to the inflamed area ?

Hi inspecto moorse, thank you for commenting. The matting was under chin/chest area & they shaved it. All they gave was that & metacalm. I asked about cream etc but they said no. My thoughts were like you why not antibiotics. She did have some matts around bum/genital but I asked them to deal with that while she was under. They said they had cleaned it all up but I’m going to check her & feel for matts down there. I did tell them about it. I feel terrible as I had no idea matting coukd occur down there & never brushed her down there. I thought only long haired rabbits got matted. I will take a pic of the medicine they gave & post it. Xx

ebc346c8614a4f67a625714e4dedacf6.jpg

9c14028b4bd6d90a01336c39774cb176.jpg

This is the medicine & said was an anti inflammatory. She was to take this & see in a week if it’s gone down. If not then to come back but I’m so worried & don’t know if I should do that for a week or get her back in asap. She’s having a wee rest just now so I will lift her in a bit & feel for matts down there. She’s in the house just now so I can keep an eye on her & keep her warm after treatment & getting hair shaved. Can I ask how often I should brush her down there please? I don’t want matting to happen again but it’s been there since before we took her. I’m glad I know about it now so I can check her & brush her properly xx

Hi inspecto moorse, thank you for commenting. The matting was under chin/chest area & they shaved it. All they gave was that & metacalm. I asked about cream etc but they said no. My thoughts were like you why not antibiotics. She did have some matts around bum/genital but I asked them to deal with that while she was under. They said they had cleaned it all up but I’m going to check her & feel for matts down there. I did tell them about it. I feel terrible as I had no idea matting coukd occur down there & never brushed her down there. I thought only long haired rabbits got matted. I will take a pic of the medicine they gave & post it. Xx

I didn’t know the metacalm was the anti inflammatory. I thought the other stuff was. My mother in law picked her up after work as we live a fair bit away from vets & I don’t drive yet but partner does but he was working but I spoke to vets on the phone after she came round. They said it was pain relief as well. She also doesn’t eat her centropoops & gets a messy bum. That’s also concerning as she doesn’t eat enough hay. She eats loads of grass though. When we got her in may she was being fed lots of carrots, apples & a full bowl of pellets morning & night! I stopped that but I think this is why she won’t eat hay. She had her dental though so it may encourage more. I get haybox hay & it’s a good one. I also just ordered different types of it to see if helps. I normally get the Timothy & the pigs love it & eat loads. I did mention about the centropoops to vet so I’m wanting her digestive system checked & tests done incase there’s a problem causing it. Sorry suck long post I’m just feeling overwhelmed with worry & thinking all sorts. I just want her healthy & I don’t care how much it costs at vets to get everything investigated xx

The Emeprid is a gut stimulant to keep her guts moving after the GA for dental, you're right the Metacam is a pain relief and anti-inflammatory. I would keep a close eye on her bottom area make sure it's clean and dry. If she's not grooming the area herself/eating ceco's that may be why she's getting matted. Do you see her reach down to clean herself? How old is she?

The Emeprid is a gut stimulant to keep her guts moving after the GA for dental, you're right the Metacam is a pain relief and anti-inflammatory. I would keep a close eye on her bottom area make sure it's clean and dry. If she's not grooming the area herself/eating ceco's that may be why she's getting matted. Do you see her reach down to clean herself? How old is she?

Hi liz, thank you for explaining about the meds. She doesn’t manage to clean herself properly & I don’t know why. She’s not overweight but was when I got her but got her weight down & now she’s healthy weight. She does try to reach down but I don’t think she’s doing it properly. I definitely think that the matts are because of what you said about not grooming. She’s over 5 anyway but I don’t know her age. I need to get her seen to for the grooming & not eating the cecos as there must be a reason for this. The other bunny eats them great & you see him doing it. Maybe she has arthritis in her legs. It’s strange she can’t seem to reach properly down like the other rabbit. Iv been reading how important it is for them to eat the cecos. I actually took her to vets when we first got her because I thought she wasn’t poohing right & didn’t know what they were until vet explained. They are getting trampled on floor & she has always hardly used her litter tray either but I don’t know if it’s connected. Iv had to wash her bum before because of it as it sticks to her fur xx

Aww bless her, I hope you get to the bottom of it. My only experience of this is in an 8 year old rabbit with declining mobility due to arthritis and spondylosis, she couldn't reach down or jump into litter trays progressively.

Aww bless her, I hope you get to the bottom of it. My only experience of this is in an 8 year old rabbit with declining mobility due to arthritis and spondylosis, she couldn't reach down or jump into litter trays progressively.

Thank you, I’m going to get her back to vets about this issue. I’m sorry to hear you bun had arthritis & spondylitis. She could be older than 5 & I think she is. What did you do to help her when you went through it if you don’t mind sharing? Did you need to wash her bum area regularly? I want to help her xx

Is she spayed ?

If she was overweight that would be a reason why she could not keep herself clean. The fur matting probably occurred then. Also, Rabbits with Dental problems often find keeping themselves clean difficult. Now her weight, the fur matting and her teeth have been sorted out hopefully she will get better at eating her cecotrophs and grooming herself.

Arthritis is another possibility. Arthritis can occur in any Rabbit of any age. Arthritic discomfort makes self grooming difficult. Metacam will help with arthritic pain if she does have any.

Is she spayed ?

If she was overweight that would be a reason why she could not keep herself clean. The fur matting probably occurred then. Also, Rabbits with Dental problems often find keeping themselves clean difficult. Now her weight, the fur matting and her teeth have been sorted out hopefully she will get better at eating her cecotrophs and grooming herself.

Arthritis is another possibility. Arthritis can occur in any Rabbit of any age. Arthritic discomfort makes self grooming difficult. Metacam will help with arthritic pain if she does have any.

Hi, yes she’s been spayed. I agree & honestly think these issues happened long ago before we got her. She never went to a vets. I really hope now the dental is done things will get better. How would they know if she has arthritis? I think she also might have this & her legs are sore. I will mention this to vet when I take her in. Hopefully we are heading onwards & upwards now & I need to get the genital lump sorted. Xx

Hi, sorry forgot to post about the matting. So I checked Bella & there’s no matts around her bum/genital area. The vet said they did clean her up down there like I asked. So I don’t think matting caused it. They advised the medicine for a week the metacalm to see if it goes down. If not then take her back in to investigate. I’m confused because I can’t see how that would treat it in anyway as it’s not an antibiotic if Iv got that right? So I’m going to get her back in & get this investigated. It’s definitely not right & im a bit angry to be honest that she didn’t even get any antibiotics or like you said a topical treatment as I’d said will she not need a cream or something. It’s very worrying & she could be in pain even though she’s eating etc as they hide pain. She’s much better today as if phoned the vets yest worried again as she wasn’t doing much. She’s hopping about the living room & eating hay & food [emoji846]. Was obviously the anaesthetic effects that made her a bit off. I think the vets will be saying not her again lol but I do get paranoid about everything. Xx

Bellas booked in Fri at 4.30 for a 30min vet appointment about her genital lump. At least we are on the path of finding out what this is & getting her treatment. Just want her all better & healthy & happy. Good news is she’s eating more has since her dental [emoji846]. Mind you she’s been inside since & not had her grass but this is good xx

Poor Bella, but I'm really pleased to hear that she's eating and moving around ok now. Hope you can get her rear end sorted out at the vets ok. Sending lots of vibes for Bella, but you are doing a great job with her x

Poor Bella, but I'm really pleased to hear that she's eating and moving around ok now. Hope you can get her rear end sorted out at the vets ok. Sending lots of vibes for Bella, but you are doing a great job with her x

Hi thank you so much. Really hope so & it’s not anything serious [emoji22]. Will keep everyone posted. So glad she’s hopping around exploring [emoji846] xx

Hi all, an update on bellas vet visit. Firstly they vet wasn’t concerned about her genitals & said they seem pretty normal! I didn’t think it was but he did say it was red. He pushed her vagina to kind of expose it & had a good look. At first he had to check that she actually was a female not male. He prescribed a cream called isaderm gel 5g twice daily as I said what about a cream or does she need an antibiotic. He said that was one & should make it go down if it is an infection. Also I spoke to him about her not eating her cecotropes. I had taken a picture of them & they were soft & a bit runny to show him. He agreed wasn’t so good but said he wasn’t overly concerned with it. He said she’s to only get hay no grass or anything for a few weeks to see if it clears. He said he could probably bet money on it that will sort it. I’m not convinced as shouldn’t rabbits eat lots of grass & why would that cause it. She doesn’t get pellets or veg anymore just hay & grass grazing all day. She has never been a big hay eater anyway although this has improved since dental. He said if it doesn’t fix it as we need to do basics first before testing & putting her through a blood tests, then we can then do that. She had this so long even before we took her & didn’t graze on grass all day. She was outside with scared to grass every day & of course hay. I tried her on pellets & off but never improved so that’s not causing it. Anyway I just think that that swollen genitals is not normal. He did say matting can cause it but no matts down there.the vet had got them out the other day while she was under so may just be she needs the antibiotics to treat it & it will be ok but will see. She doesn’t eat her cecotropes & they get trampled on the flour etc & this can’t be normal! I don’t see how grass causes this as shadow are it all day & never had this at all. In everyone’s opinion as I’m a first time owner, is her genitals normal? Iv looked at pics online but it does t look like hers. Also I said how can you tell if she’s spayed. I said Coukd you do an ultrasound but he said that would be very difficult & only way to be sure is to shave her & check for a scar. No proof of spaying was provided by first people who had her so they could have just said that. I feel it’s important to know as what if not & she may get uterine cancer. Iv read it can happenI un spayed females. I’m now worried what is she is a he as if a vet doubted them how would I know. Xx

She’s also booked in next sat for vaccines. I said Iv no proof she had them prior even though the very first people to have their & shadow said that she & shadow had them. The vets said it’s fine to start the course again & that she should have received t boosters. I’m not risking it & at least I will know she has had them. Xx

If she is male it would be very obvious by now. Especially if an entire male

Without being able to see her genitals IRL it is hard to determine whether they are very swollen but from the image you posted a few days ago they did look to be so.

Re her spay status- a luteinising hormone test can be done to check for the presence of LH. This refers to the procedure in Cats, but the same principle applies for a Rabbit

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/fu...id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed

Re her vaccines - As her vaccination status is unknown she will need a FILIVAC vaccine first followed by a NOBIVAC MYXO RHD PLUS Vaccine two weeks later.

sK2anoj.jpg

Ideally it would be safer for her to remain indoors until fully vaccinated, ie until 3 weeks after her NOBIVAC MYXO RHD PLUS

Is the Vet you consulted Rabbit Savvy ?

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-welfare-association-fund/our-work/rabbit-friendly-vets/

Back