• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help with giving medication

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, I’m in a right state tonight over medication. Bella got metacalm & Iv to start tonight but don’t quite understand the directions on the pack about her dose. I have included a pic to show what it says. Do I give her 10ml is that what it’s saying or 1.0ml? I
bddcbbc44785596a80d378a4446da240.jpg

I’m so sorry I just do t want to go wrong & I need to give her it tonight. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had the last Rabbit spayed the instructions were to give 2 mil twice a day. I would give her 1mil tonight then ring your Vet in the morning for clearer instructions. How is she tonight?

Hello, I’m in a right state tonight over medication. Bella got metacalm & Iv to start tonight but don’t quite understand the directions on the pack about her dose. I have included a pic to show what it says. Do I give her 10ml is that what it’s saying or 1.0ml? I
bddcbbc44785596a80d378a4446da240.jpg

I’m so sorry I just do t want to go wrong & I need to give her it tonight. Thank you

When you open the pack there's a metacam syringe in the box normally... It has kg markings on the side. So just draw it up to the 10kg mark! Then give it to her :)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

What syringes have you been given? The instructions are up to the 10kg mark on the syringe not 10ml. Is the syringe marked in kg?

When I had the last Rabbit spayed the instructions were to give 2 mil twice a day. I would give her 1mil tonight then ring your Vet in the morning for clearer instructions. How is she tonight?

Hi Toni, thank you. I’m so upset here because I tried to give her the other medicine which had clear instructions but I don’t know how to get it in her mouth! I tried & she kept moving her head but I couldn’t get the syringe in. Iv never done it before & don’t know how to do it. It says both need to be given tonight. She’s doing good & eating so that’s great but obviously not herself after it all xx

I wouldn't do this. This all depends on the weight of the rabbit!

Hi Toni, thank you. I’m so upset here because I tried to give her the other medicine which had clear instructions but I don’t know how to get it in her mouth! I tried & she kept moving her head but I couldn’t get the syringe in. Iv never done it before & don’t know how to do it. It says both need to be given tonight. She’s doing good & eating so that’s great but obviously not herself after it all xx

Wrap her in a towel, like a burrito, and insert the syringe into the side of her mouth, behind the front two teeth and slowly put it in, you can take breaks for her to swallow. Dw you've got this :)

What does Bella weigh? that will be significant

i can't work out those instructions either but i'd be shocked if she were on 10ml daily. as metacam is metabolised quickly many vets prescribe a dose to be given twice daily

What syringes have you been given? The instructions are up to the 10kg mark on the syringe not 10ml. Is the syringe marked in kg?

Hi liz, thank you for commenting. Iv put a pic of syringe below. I’m thinking it must be 10ml but definitely phoning the vets tomo to ask xx
14bc9eabac4010b63a27fcc81a645a0d.jpg

Hi liz, thank you for commenting. Iv put a pic of syringe below. I’m thinking it must be 10ml but definitely phoning the vets tomo to ask xx
14bc9eabac4010b63a27fcc81a645a0d.jpg

That's the kg one! Go to 10 on that syringe

When you open the pack there's a metacam syringe in the box normally... It has kg markings on the side. So just draw it up to the 10kg mark! Then give it to her :)

Hi Graciee, thank you for commenting. Iv put a pic below of the syringe but it’s not in kg I think mls xx
76bdaf840c4f00d1a17fc08d95714d01.jpg

Hi Graciee, thank you for commenting. Iv put a pic below of the syringe but it’s not in kg I think mls xx
76bdaf840c4f00d1a17fc08d95714d01.jpg

That's definitely not mls [emoji38] that's the kg metacam syringe :)

Hi liz, thank you for commenting. It’s not naked in kg but Iv put a pic of it bellow xx
c4705643a6692ccb317e9850702b1479.jpg

Wrap her in a towel, like a burrito, and insert the syringe into the side of her mouth, behind the front two teeth and slowly put it in, you can take breaks for her to swallow. Dw you've got this :)

Hi, ok I will try this thank you. My partner had her on his knee but I didn’t wrap her up. Will try this. I was trying to put in the side bit of mouth by mistake xx

It does have kg on it btw if you turn it around :)

Put her wrapped up on the floor between your knees and lean over her :)
a6e64d656c4389a2e092b1636ee82967.jpg

What does Bella weigh? that will be significant

i can't work out those instructions either but i'd be shocked if she were on 10ml daily. as metacam is metabolised quickly many vets prescribe a dose to be given twice daily

Hi, thank you for commenting. I can’t remember what she weighs off the top of my head. I really hope they haven’t made a mistake as that could be awful. This is my first time doing medication as only had her since may. She’s a fully grown girl. I will put a pic below. She’s in the house in living room tonight xx
835930a288e99d726bac9361ca2e0ce0.jpg

a6078a6593f51f94efb1d7bce6da4244.jpg

Hi, thank you for commenting. I can’t remember what she weighs off the top of my head. I really hope they haven’t made a mistake as that could be awful. This is my first time doing medication as only had her since may. She’s a fully grown girl. I will put a pic below. She’s in the house in living room tonight xx
835930a288e99d726bac9361ca2e0ce0.jpg

a6078a6593f51f94efb1d7bce6da4244.jpg

Bless her she has her wee hay cookie in with her & I put some grass/hay in there incase she doesn’t want to move. Iv put her haybox hay right outside her box thing for easy access xx

Back