Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance recommendations please

Warren Scout

Default Insurance recommendations please

Hello, i hope this is the right section to ask this. I want to take out insurance for my 2 rabbits but have no idea where to start. Could anyone recommend a good insurance company please? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bumping this for you. One of mine is with 4paws and the other with pinnacle. I started out paying around £10 each but it's crept up each year and now we're at about 18. I can't fault them when I've needed to claim though. However just a heads up I haven't found a rabbit insurer that covers dentals, I think it's quite hard to find one that will.

I've only ever used Petplan so no experience of any other. Never had a problem with them, but they didn't cover my late bunnies dentals. They have always paid out for my cat George, although premiums gone up now he's getting older.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Orenoko View Post
    Just bumping this for you. One of mine is with 4paws and the other with pinnacle. I started out paying around £10 each but it's crept up each year and now we're at about 18. I can't fault them when I've needed to claim though. However just a heads up I haven't found a rabbit insurer that covers dentals, I think it's quite hard to find one that will.
    Hi, thank you for commenting & sharing. I think as they get older it goes up doesnít it? Our new rabbit from sspca is on pet plan. You get 4wks when you get then so been looking at that. It says in their website they cover dental which I was surprised & glad about. Will look into the 2 you said xx

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    I've only ever used Petplan so no experience of any other. Never had a problem with them, but they didn't cover my late bunnies dentals. They have always paid out for my cat George, although premiums gone up now he's getting older.
    Hi thank you for sharing. Our new bunny Morgan cane with 4wks pet plan insurance. I thought they covered it as saw on the website but must have got mixed up. You would def know being with them about that. Iím looking into that & just taking over with them after the 4wks are up. I just donít know why you canít get dental as many rabbits & pigs have dental problems it seems xx

Quote Originally Posted by Clair071085 View Post
    Hi thank you for sharing. Our new bunny Morgan cane with 4wks pet plan insurance. I thought they covered it as saw on the website but must have got mixed up. You would def know being with them about that. I’m looking into that & just taking over with them after the 4wks are up. I just don’t know why you can’t get dental as many rabbits & pigs have dental problems it seems xx

Last time I read PetPlan's terms and conditions (which admittedly is a few years ago), they state in one place that they do cover dentals then in another place say they don't except for set circumstances (such as emergencies, I think it gives). So they may or may not cover it. From talking to other bunny owners it seems to depend on how your vet words it. Whenever I claimed for dentals Petplan always paid, I think my vets are particularly talented at wording it so the insurers pay!
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

Currently out of the insurers available I would recommend Agria. I did have a lot of policies with Helpucover and they were always good at paying but they say in their T&C that they may increase their premiums based on how much you claim - I don't see the point of insurance if they can ramp up the premiums because you pet has a long-term illness, the point of insurance is you hope to pay less with insurance than not. Agria and Petplan both state that they will not increase premiums based on your claim history.

Helpucover are also clear that they will not cover dentals in the first two years of the policy. They also have a massive excess (from memory, 25% of the claim value) when the rabbit reaches 5 years old... so not very old at all. I did at one time have quite a few polices with Helpucover as they start very cheap but they premiums climb up quickly.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

Mine are with Agria. Before that my previous bunny was with PetPlan, they did cover her dental early this year with an added note to say dentals aren't usually covered but since this was as part of treatment for illness (spurs) they covered it.

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Last time I read PetPlan's terms and conditions (which admittedly is a few years ago), they state in one place that they do cover dentals then in another place say they don't except for set circumstances (such as emergencies, I think it gives). So they may or may not cover it. From talking to other bunny owners it seems to depend on how your vet words it. Whenever I claimed for dentals Petplan always paid, I think my vets are particularly talented at wording it so the insurers pay!
    Morning, thatís great that your vet has a way with words & is so helpful. I will definitely need to speak with them before doing anything so thank you for that xx

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Currently out of the insurers available I would recommend Agria. I did have a lot of policies with Helpucover and they were always good at paying but they say in their T&C that they may increase their premiums based on how much you claim - I don't see the point of insurance if they can ramp up the premiums because you pet has a long-term illness, the point of insurance is you hope to pay less with insurance than not. Agria and Petplan both state that they will not increase premiums based on your claim history.

Helpucover are also clear that they will not cover dentals in the first two years of the policy. They also have a massive excess (from memory, 25% of the claim value) when the rabbit reaches 5 years old... so not very old at all. I did at one time have quite a few polices with Helpucover as they start very cheap but they premiums climb up quickly.
    Morning, thank you for sharing & all this info. I will look at Agria glad you found a good one xx