• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance recommendations please

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, i hope this is the right section to ask this. I want to take out insurance for my 2 rabbits but have no idea where to start. Could anyone recommend a good insurance company please? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bumping this for you. One of mine is with 4paws and the other with pinnacle. I started out paying around £10 each but it's crept up each year and now we're at about 18. I can't fault them when I've needed to claim though. However just a heads up I haven't found a rabbit insurer that covers dentals, I think it's quite hard to find one that will.

I've only ever used Petplan so no experience of any other. Never had a problem with them, but they didn't cover my late bunnies dentals. They have always paid out for my cat George, although premiums gone up now he's getting older.

Just bumping this for you. One of mine is with 4paws and the other with pinnacle. I started out paying around £10 each but it's crept up each year and now we're at about 18. I can't fault them when I've needed to claim though. However just a heads up I haven't found a rabbit insurer that covers dentals, I think it's quite hard to find one that will.

Hi, thank you for commenting & sharing. I think as they get older it goes up doesn’t it? Our new rabbit from sspca is on pet plan. You get 4wks when you get then so been looking at that. It says in their website they cover dental which I was surprised & glad about. Will look into the 2 you said xx

I've only ever used Petplan so no experience of any other. Never had a problem with them, but they didn't cover my late bunnies dentals. They have always paid out for my cat George, although premiums gone up now he's getting older.

Hi thank you for sharing. Our new bunny Morgan cane with 4wks pet plan insurance. I thought they covered it as saw on the website but must have got mixed up. You would def know being with them about that. I’m looking into that & just taking over with them after the 4wks are up. I just don’t know why you can’t get dental as many rabbits & pigs have dental problems it seems xx

Hi thank you for sharing. Our new bunny Morgan cane with 4wks pet plan insurance. I thought they covered it as saw on the website but must have got mixed up. You would def know being with them about that. I’m looking into that & just taking over with them after the 4wks are up. I just don’t know why you can’t get dental as many rabbits & pigs have dental problems it seems xx

Last time I read PetPlan's terms and conditions (which admittedly is a few years ago), they state in one place that they do cover dentals then in another place say they don't except for set circumstances (such as emergencies, I think it gives). So they may or may not cover it. From talking to other bunny owners it seems to depend on how your vet words it. Whenever I claimed for dentals Petplan always paid, I think my vets are particularly talented at wording it so the insurers pay!

Currently out of the insurers available I would recommend Agria. I did have a lot of policies with Helpucover and they were always good at paying but they say in their T&C that they may increase their premiums based on how much you claim - I don't see the point of insurance if they can ramp up the premiums because you pet has a long-term illness, the point of insurance is you hope to pay less with insurance than not. Agria and Petplan both state that they will not increase premiums based on your claim history.

Helpucover are also clear that they will not cover dentals in the first two years of the policy. They also have a massive excess (from memory, 25% of the claim value) when the rabbit reaches 5 years old... so not very old at all. I did at one time have quite a few polices with Helpucover as they start very cheap but they premiums climb up quickly.

Mine are with Agria. Before that my previous bunny was with PetPlan, they did cover her dental early this year with an added note to say dentals aren't usually covered but since this was as part of treatment for illness (spurs) they covered it.

Last time I read PetPlan's terms and conditions (which admittedly is a few years ago), they state in one place that they do cover dentals then in another place say they don't except for set circumstances (such as emergencies, I think it gives). So they may or may not cover it. From talking to other bunny owners it seems to depend on how your vet words it. Whenever I claimed for dentals Petplan always paid, I think my vets are particularly talented at wording it so the insurers pay!

Morning, that’s great that your vet has a way with words & is so helpful. I will definitely need to speak with them before doing anything so thank you for that xx

Currently out of the insurers available I would recommend Agria. I did have a lot of policies with Helpucover and they were always good at paying but they say in their T&C that they may increase their premiums based on how much you claim - I don't see the point of insurance if they can ramp up the premiums because you pet has a long-term illness, the point of insurance is you hope to pay less with insurance than not. Agria and Petplan both state that they will not increase premiums based on your claim history.

Helpucover are also clear that they will not cover dentals in the first two years of the policy. They also have a massive excess (from memory, 25% of the claim value) when the rabbit reaches 5 years old... so not very old at all. I did at one time have quite a few polices with Helpucover as they start very cheap but they premiums climb up quickly.

Morning, thank you for sharing & all this info. I will look at Agria [emoji846] glad you found a good one xx

Mine are with Agria. Before that my previous bunny was with PetPlan, they did cover her dental early this year with an added note to say dentals aren't usually covered but since this was as part of treatment for illness (spurs) they covered it.

Morning liz, someone also said agria so I’m going to check them out [emoji846]It was spurs Bella had but it did effect her grinning & eating hay I really believe that. Xx

Thank you for all the recommendations. It really helps hearing from bunny owners on this xx

I am with Agria and 4paws. Highly recommend 4paws, and I believe they cover dentals, as long as it’s not a pre- existing condition.

I am with Agria and 4paws. Highly recommend 4paws, and I believe they cover dentals, as long as it’s not a pre- existing condition.

Hello, thank you for commenting. I’m looking at agria & will check out 4 paws [emoji846]. Bella had molar spur so would that mean it’s a previous condition or if it wasn’t the same tooth would it be different xx

You’d need to check with the company, but i think if she’s had spurs/ teeth issues, this unfortunately wouldn’t be covered, regardless of whether it’s a different tooth. This is the frustrating thing about insurance :(

You’d need to check with the company, but i think if she’s had spurs/ teeth issues, this unfortunately wouldn’t be covered, regardless of whether it’s a different tooth. This is the frustrating thing about insurance :(

I would agree with this. Spurs generally indicates misaligned teeth so it is a condition likely to affect the other teeth so I can't see any insurer being willing to pay out on other teeth with spurs.

In Rudy's case with PetPlan, not only did they not insure his teeth but his eyes, nose and whole of his head!!

Morning, thank you for that. It is very frustrating that many don’t do dental as so many rabbits have issues with this. I wish there was a separate dental insurance company xx

I would agree with this. Spurs generally indicates misaligned teeth so it is a condition likely to affect the other teeth so I can't see any insurer being willing to pay out on other teeth with spurs.

In Rudy's case with PetPlan, not only did they not insure his teeth but his eyes, nose and whole of his head!!

Morning, oh no that’s terrible they didn’t! I can’t believe that as they are still medical ailments. I’m sorry to hear that & wont do pet plan as that’s not good. Thank you for the heads up. Yes it’s really sad dentals not covered. I wish they had dental insurance as it’s a problem so many rabbits have. It also can cause other issues as they can’t rest right. A friends rabbit had eye trouble due to dental it was awful as it was the 2 front teeth growing up & also effecting they nose [emoji22] xx

Back