• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this timothy hay?

I bought Cookie new meadow grass hay. But on the package it says both meadow grass and timothy. Normally Turkey doesn't have timothy hay so I was surprised to see this post. But I don't know what timothy hay looks like. I am attaching the pictures, do you think this is timothy hay or meadow grass hay?

https://imguh.com/image/k8JNh
https://imguh.com/image/k8omR
https://imguh.com/image/k8XT8

It's difficult to tell really. To me it certainly looks more like Timothy than Meadow Grass, as it looks stalky. Our Timothy would usually have seed heads on it, but that will depend on when it's cut. The seed heads are good for identification. It certainly looks a reasonable hay to feed to a rabbit.

It certainly says Timothy on the packet. I don't see Meadow Grass written there, but presumably it's in Turkish?

Tricky! Manufacturer says its meadow hay.. Confusing! [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

It's difficult to tell really. To me it certainly looks more like Timothy than Meadow Grass, as it looks stalky. Our Timothy would usually have seed heads on it, but that will depend on when it's cut. The seed heads are good for identification. It certainly looks a reasonable hay to feed to a rabbit.

It certainly says Timothy on the packet. I don't see Meadow Grass written there, but presumably it's in Turkish?

Tricky! Manufacturer says its meadow hay.. Confusing! [emoji38]

in the package meadow grass = çayır otu(Turkish)
It says meadow grass hay in Turkish, but timothy is written under it. So the hay doesn't look very much like meadow grass, it's like mixed. But I don't know what Timothy hay looks like, I've never seen it. That's why i'm confused :D

In the first picture, my spices shelfs were seen in the back. :lol: There's enough spice in my kitchen for a restaurant :lol: Not even the quarter that is visible in the picture :lol:

This is Timothy hay [emoji38]
8aac63b78b1f9ae8b1d7641ad32701ad.jpg

in the package meadow grass = çayır otu(Turkish)
It says meadow grass hay in Turkish, but timothy is written under it. So the hay doesn't look very much like meadow grass, it's like mixed. But I don't know what Timothy hay looks like, I've never seen it. That's why i'm confused :D

It might also be that the supplier is also confused :lol:

Meadow Grass is a family name of grasses. There are several different types of Meadow Grass, but Timothy is not one of them. There is only one species called Timothy.

It really doesn't matter terribly much whether the hay is Timothy or Meadow, as long as it is fresh, healthy and non-dusty hay. Timothy is rougher and so is considered to be better for wearing down rabbits' teeth. But it's also important that the rabbit eats a lot of hay. So see if Cookie likes it :) It's certainly looks like the sort of hay my rabbit would like, but some rabbits prefer softer hay.

It might also be that the supplier is also confused :lol:

Meadow Grass is a family name of grasses. There are several different types of Meadow Grass, but Timothy is not one of them. There is only one species called Timothy.

It really doesn't matter terribly much whether the hay is Timothy or Meadow, as long as it is fresh, healthy and non-dusty hay. Timothy is rougher and so is considered to be better for wearing down rabbits' teeth. But it's also important that the rabbit eats a lot of hay. So see if Cookie likes it :) It's certainly looks like the sort of hay my rabbit would like, but some rabbits prefer softer hay.

You can see here the typical Timothy seedheads. See if you can find any in your sample.

The supplier seems to have written every word he sees about the hay on the label. :lol: But this hay didn't seem hard to me, it looks a bit soft. But Cookie seems to like it, he started eating right away. Also no that flowering grass stuff, just hay. :D

What do you mean by herbs? This doesn't have any in it

No no, timothy has something like a tufted flower on his head. I called it a flower because I didn't know what it was called :lol:

I wouldn't worry about it being Timothy hay. As long as it looks and smells Ok, and Cookie eats it - what's the problem?

Wild rabbits would never just eat one variety of grass. 'Meadow' and 'Orchard' are just descriptive terms for mixed grasses, possibly with other edible plants such as dandelions which would naturally grow in the same fields. It would be difficult to find hay that doesn't come from a meadow, although that doesn't exclude monoculture grass (ie just one specific variety).

I wouldn't worry about it being Timothy hay. As long as it looks and smells Ok, and Cookie eats it - what's the problem?

Wild rabbits would never just eat one variety of grass. 'Meadow' and 'Orchard' are just descriptive terms for mixed grasses, possibly with other edible plants such as dandelions which would naturally grow in the same fields. It would be difficult to find hay that doesn't come from a meadow, although that doesn't exclude monoculture grass (ie just one specific variety).

No no no problem. :D I just saw a hay that says timothy hay for the first time in Turkey and I was very surprised. I wondered if this was really timothy :D

Back