• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Joey - foot update

Oh J&B I'm sorry the prognosis wasn't more positive. I hope you can keep Joey comfortable for a long time to come. Perhaps Francis may have a suggestion on a possible way forward.
Hugs to you and your family

Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Reader he accepted a little massage & ear stroke off you - thank you. Motty - Frances hasn't any miracles up her sleeve with this one, but Ruth did consult with her yesterday so at least we know we've tried.

He is eating a nice selection of herbs I got him & seems more himself this evening

I’m really so sorry to read this update following consultation. Although I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting Joey, his personality and presence has shone through in all the various posts. It would be wonderful to give Joey a gentle nose rub and just let him know we care about him here. I’ll never forget his hilarious posts on the sploof thread. You are blessed to have Joey and Joey is so blessed having you and such amazing bun friends there. I hope he remains comfortable and we’re all thinking of him here. Xx

Thanks PM, KCG & Craig. Craig ha ha - I loved that RWSA thread & Joey was hilarious in it. I think he'll have some more fun on RU yet. I shall show him off more :love:

Sorry to hear you did not get better news. I am sending your boy lots of vibes that he stays comfortably by your side for a long time. Hugs.

Last edited:
Sorry I've not posted before (busy) and sorry to hear Joey has a tumour on his foot. Yes, I hope he can still have fun and be kept as comfortable as possible. We know you will do the right thing for him.

Such heartbreaking news. I'm so sorry. :cry:
Every moment is a treasure and I know you and Joey will wring every one you can from the hands of time. ((((((Huge hugs))))))

The gap between the day Fiver injured his leg to the day I had to let him go was one week. I hope you and Joey will have much, much more comfortable time for making memories together. :love:
Thinking of you. xxxxx

Sorry to hear that Joeys prognosis is not so good.I hope he can remain as comfortable as possible,sending hugs to you and nose rubs for him.💓

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Reader he accepted a little massage & ear stroke off you - thank you. Motty - Frances hasn't any miracles up her sleeve with this one, but Ruth did consult with her yesterday so at least we know we've tried.

He is eating a nice selection of herbs I got him & seems more himself this evening
:love:

I'm glad he's liking his herbs and is feeling more settled.

:love: Thank You.

His appetite is back to normal but he has been limping ever since he came back from the vet . He appears in good spirits - he likes all the extra pandering. managed to forage for him today - loads of cow parsley, some ash, willow, dandelions, sow thistle, geranium & blackthorn (he does prefer herbs over the free stuff though)

We took Joey (& Boo for emotional support) to Crab Lane vets yesterday morning. Ruth was doing surgery & at our consult was surprised his lump had grown & was really doubtful the lump could be cleanly removed. This wasn't news to me based on some email communication with Frances & just how it looks (to my eyes its not grown much though). He had 4 or 5 xrays & unfortunately the tumour has already grown in to his bone. His xrays showed some Spondylitis but nothing else sinister. Ruth didn't feel he was a good candidate for amputation & I totally respect her opinion.
They were able to xray Joey with just sedation. Biopsy wasn't taken as it wouldn't change outcome & would have required full GA & messing my little soldier about more. Frances has seen 3-4 of these tumours in rabbits - they are not as innocuous as I was led to believe at first consult (not in rabbits anyway). She was consulted yesterday & being sent his xrays

So we are just going to keep Joey for as long as he is happy & comfortable . He has been prescribed metacam & tramadol (to use if pain seems worse). At the moment he is unhappy, he has been out of sorts since getting back yesterday evening. As with 12 days ago, I think its just he is a sensitive sausage & hates the travel. This has given me more confidence in decision to not amputate (btw Graicee, Mimz mum...thanks for your kind thoughts - couldn't face going on that thread to reply).

I don't think we'll have Joey long. He's had a good, long-ish & happy life so far & I don't want him living his last days with unmanaged pain or feeling sad

i feel really ashamed i never saw this thread before. poor Joey. i don't know what to say but he will be in my thoughts always xxx

I'm sorry the X rays showed bad news, but pleased to read Joey is in good spirits. Thinking of you all :love:

Its been a month since I took this photo
rc9QwyDl.jpg
[/QUOTE]

its definitely bigger now (taken today)

ig1e0Lgl.jpg

He seems bright & happy for now. He doesn't limp & puts full weight on it although his gait is affected a little cos its so damn big

Back