• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Joey - foot update

Thanks so much for the vibes & hugs KCG

I'm impressed that the vet was able to come up with a probable diagnosis so quickly. When will he have it done? I think I would definitely email Frances. My experience with things like this is that vets/doctors like to be involved in rare issues, which it sounds as though this is.

He said it not urgent but I think looking at next week...but I'm not 100% sure yet (its the rarity in rabbits thing) + GA. Don't know when Bob can get him up there so couldn't book in there & then (one person only allowed in vet). i need some thinking time - though i know I'll be no better at end of thinking time

Thank You BB. I'm half tempted to email Frances :oops:

Give in to that temptation. I 100% guarantee she would be delighted to hear from you. Send pictures of bunnies, have a catch up.

Edit to add: Oh, I see I'm not the only one that thinks so. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the vibes & hugs KCG

He said it not urgent but I think looking at next week...but I'm not 100% sure yet (its the rarity in rabbits thing) + GA. Don't know when Bob can get him up there so couldn't book in there & then (one person only allowed in vet). i need some thinking time - though i know I'll be no better at end of thinking time

I genuinely would be happy to provide transport if that makes it easier to plan. I am toying with the idea of heading out that way to have my last-of-the-year forage of willow at Kettlesing Head anyway. I think I owe you a coffee or two if you are up for it.... but you might just want to hibernate until you get news. I probably would!

Last edited:
I would also be v tempted to email FHB, or get one of the vets to contact her. I can't see her ignoring an interesting case, so you have nothing to lose. I always found her very open and helpful.

Vets certainly sound very thorough, and I agree email FHB. Hope the girls both got on ok too. Big hugs J & B, sorry you and Joey are having to go through this xxx

It's good that the vets think they know what it is, I'm sure there's no harm in emailing FHB. Sending vibes, it must be stressful but I'm sure that the vets will get it sorted <3

Joey can e-mail fhb!
As it is not hurting him, you can schedule surgery a couple weeks away , yet continue to research while you wait.
.Sending vibes.

Oh no, I'm sorry that it's likely to be a tumour 😔 I really hoped that it wouldn't be something like that. It's so difficult because you and your vets are going to have to go into uncharted territory here.

I really hope that you and your vets are able to put a plan in place on the best way to treat this xx

Thanks so much everyone, we very much appreciate it

Oh no, I'm sorry that it's likely to be a tumour &#55357;&#56852; I really hoped that it wouldn't be something like that. It's so difficult because you and your vets are going to have to go into uncharted territory here.

I really hope that you and your vets are able to put a plan in place on the best way to treat this xx

Thanks Scrappy - in dogs its not known for malignancy so it could be worse but having the full thing explored by a lab would be more conclusive

Plus if it wasn't growing in size anymore & not cancerous I might be happier to monitor.

I wish my rabbits didn't always seem to get health issues rare in rabbits but common in dogs. When I retire I'll probably get a greyhound that will get EC

The girls got on well. Boo has a minor, unproblematic spur where she always has one, good body condition & perfect weight (2.5). She did a big pee on the consulting table which I think impressed me more than Paul :lol:

Mousey's review was like it always is. Not much to be done with Mouse - just keeping her comfy for as long as she's happy. She has lost 100g since last consult in June. Her teeth look ok
More honey drugs. Had bit of an ear clean. She didn't pee til she got home & managed mainly in the carrier wedged between fleece & b&W rabbit:love:

The girls got on well. Boo has a minor, unproblematic spur where she always has one, good body condition & perfect weight (2.5). She did a big pee on the consulting table which I think impressed me more than Paul :lol:

Mousey's review was like it always is. Not much to be done with Mouse - just keeping her comfy for as long as she's happy. She has lost 100g since last consult in June. Her teeth look ok
More honey drugs. Had bit of an ear clean. She didn't pee til she got home & managed mainly in the carrier wedged between fleece & b&W rabbit:love:

Bless the girlies, glad they both got on ok. Boo's wee made me smile, and Mousie cuddled up with B & W ( hope he got a clean bill of health :lol:)

I’m pleased that you have a possible diagnosis and it’s good that your vet is very hands on with it. I’m hoping that any possible surgical intervention is successful and sending continued vibes for Joey - who is undoubtedly the biggest most charming character on here. Hugs to you too. Xx

Ooh, Joey... It's good that you have an idea of what it is, at least. I hope getting it removed, if you're going through with that, will go really well, and that it turns out not to be malignant. It's unfortunate, though, that it's something that is unusual in rabbits, so you won't know what to expect, of course... Sending Joey so, so many vibes. :love:

I'm glad Boo and Mousey's checkups didn't show anything surprising. Boo peeing on the table, though. :lol:

Thank You Craig & Reader.

Girls were fine as soon as they were back from the vets (yet again I'm in awe of Mousey's resilience). Joey looked wounded & was picky about what he'd eat but fine this morning. He's a sensitive sausage

Back