• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house bunny into a outside bun!!!!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
does anyone know how to go about making an indoor bunny be an out door bunny? i have rescued a bunny from a pet shop in dec. and in my iggnorance put him outside without thinking he needed time to adjust but thankfully hes fine and adjusted very well, is there a precedure to do this or should i just do that with my new bunnie thats soon to come?
thanks

Normally you would wait until the weather warmed up and then move them outside. A rabbit used to being indoors won't have grown as thick a winter coat as an outdoor rabbbit.

How long has the rabbit been outside? If it isn't long I would bring him back in until it warms up. We could have some very cold weather before the winter is over, and without a warm coat that will make the rabbit very uncomfortable and leave him open to getting ill, even if he appears to have been alright for a short time. At the very least put him in a shed in a well covered hutch.

i have bought him one of those quilted waterproof covers and he has been out there since begin of dec. but even when its late his ears are nice and warm and he is down the side of the house in front of the back door where it is let exposed, covered above is corgated plastic so his dont get wet.. he begain moulting quite quickly and has a winter coat...

but for the new bunnie i will keep him in until it gets warmer

thanks

If u got the rabbit from a pet shop the chances are that it was breed out side so there would not be a problem. Moving indoor bun outside is ok just dont pick a cold spell to do it. I have had to put many a indoor rabbit out that was a house bun [ due to lack of space] and have not had a problem. Out side is much better for rabbits its good for them, being in is nice for people, but is not a normal enviroment. No im not having a go at anyone.If u are worried put in loads of bedding in the sleeping part and cover at night, but i bet your bun wont spend its time in the warmer bed side they love freshair. val

well to be honest val i have never had a problem either, i was asked to take a rabbit that was dumped outside a pet shop before in winter (so who know where he came from or what he ate,and he was ok. but with kymber he has had a bit of an ordeal with the stress of the other rabbits and lots of moves so i will keep him in for now and see how he goes as far as i know he has always been an indoor bunny so exposing him to the garden and my other 9 bunnies might be alittle full on, so will take it slowly with him i thing and give him some well deserved tlc

thanks

A rabbit that was dumped outside a petshop was unlikely to have been a house rabbit, and so would have been fine outside in winter - properly covered of course.

And after a month and a half in a well covered hutch that rabbit is most likely fine too.

But as you say Kymber has been used to being indoors and is used to it, and he won't have a thick coat. Best to wait until it warms up.

I tend to think outdoor rabbits are happier too; mine certainly seem to prefer it - they can't wait to get out and run and dig and eat dirty old scraps of leaves :roll: I have run out of space outdoors which is why I have 5 in the house atm - and of course I can get my hands on Big Bunny :oops: But if the option is between neglect in a small hutch in the garden and the pampered life of a house rabbit, then of course the house option is better. The main issue for me is that they have the room to hop and jump and live an interesting life.

none of my hutches are small at all and where built and made by a carpenter, and NONE of my bunnies are neglected the complete oposite in fact, spoit rotten and dont they know it, little sods :lol: :lol: :lol:

i know kymber is a house bunny but i do not have the room in the house for any rabbit on a full time basis, it would not be fair on the bunnie they need space and they have that outside an whole garden to themselves.

he will stay in as long as he needs cause for a start of he needs alot of tlc and if not used to bunnies and my lots are very bolshy!!!!

but want him to get used to being around other bunnies as well in my opinion how it should be.....

i promise to take care of him he wont be up for rehoming again

eve x

I hope it didn't sound as if I was saying your rabbits are neglected, cos that isn't what I meant at all. I meant in general. I think everyone on this forum cares enough about their rabbits not to neglect them, but sadly there are many unhappy rabbits stuck in gardens all over the country able only to look and never get out and run and jump. :cry:

i must admit it did sound like that, but dont worry i now realise what you meant and have not really got to justify myself as i know they are well cared for. and i wish i could do somethink about all the other rabits that are neglected but just cant because of numbers, but do try to help where i can

best wishes

EVE X

U must do as u wish of course and if u want to pamper him len do so, but unless the weather is rearly bad then rabbits can be moved out side without fear . val

Back