• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat cat grass?

KCG

Warren Veteran
I've never given Cookie grass before. I just bought 3 packs of cat grass. Can rabbits eat this, is it safe?

I've never heard of this before. Searching brings up this https://natusan.co.uk/blogs/inside-scoop/cat-grass-everything-you-need-to-know which says that it's a collective name and so can be different species.

Have you got information as to what exactly the cat grass is which you have ordered? Fairly confident that this will be OK.

Yes, I've read that there are different types. But the package I bought doesn't explain it, I don't know what type of grass it is. I read the article you sent and it is very descriptive, thank you very much.

This is the cat grass I bought, it doesn't say anything about the type of grass on it, I couldn't find it on the Internet.
https://images.app.goo.gl/JBN2ooffPDW3Vomi6

Seed sold as cat grass tends to be oats. It should be fine for rabbits, whatever 'grass' it is. I'm assuming as it's sold to be eaten, that the seed is not treated with anything to enhance germination or resist mould, etc. If it's got any obvious coating on it, don't use it.

I've fed cat grass to guinea pigs. It's cereal grass, eg. oats, wheat etc, and it grows fast indoors. As I remember, it's higher in protein than hay, so needs to be fed in small quantities.

Seed sold as cat grass tends to be oats. It should be fine for rabbits, whatever 'grass' it is. I'm assuming as it's sold to be eaten, that the seed is not treated with anything to enhance germination or resist mould, etc. If it's got any obvious coating on it, don't use it.

I've fed cat grass to guinea pigs. It's cereal grass, eg. oats, wheat etc, and it grows fast indoors. As I remember, it's higher in protein than hay, so needs to be fed in small quantities.

Thank you so much, these have been very useful for me :)

The grass I grow for Casper and Sophie is sold as cat grass seed. It's rye, I think. It's really nice grass. Sophie and Casper really like it, and like the others have said, it should be fine for bunnies. :)

The grass I grow for Casper and Sophie is sold as cat grass seed. It's rye, I think. It's really nice grass. Sophie and Casper really like it, and like the others have said, it should be fine for bunnies. :)

Thank you so much, so I bought it. Thanks to you, I'm relieved. :)

Back