Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can rabbits eat cat grass?

  1. #1
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    5,029

    Default Can rabbits eat cat grass?

    I've never given Cookie grass before. I just bought 3 packs of cat grass. Can rabbits eat this, is it safe?
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    22,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    I've never given Cookie grass before. I just bought 3 packs of cat grass. Can rabbits eat this, is it safe?
    I've never heard of this before. Searching brings up this https://natusan.co.uk/blogs/inside-s...u-need-to-know which says that it's a collective name and so can be different species.

    Have you got information as to what exactly the cat grass is which you have ordered? Fairly confident that this will be OK.

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    5,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I've never heard of this before. Searching brings up this https://natusan.co.uk/blogs/inside-s...u-need-to-know which says that it's a collective name and so can be different species.

    Have you got information as to what exactly the cat grass is which you have ordered? Fairly confident that this will be OK.
    Yes, I've read that there are different types. But the package I bought doesn't explain it, I don't know what type of grass it is. I read the article you sent and it is very descriptive, thank you very much.

    This is the cat grass I bought, it doesn't say anything about the type of grass on it, I couldn't find it on the Internet.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/JBN2ooffPDW3Vomi6
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

  4. #4
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Seed sold as cat grass tends to be oats. It should be fine for rabbits, whatever 'grass' it is. I'm assuming as it's sold to be eaten, that the seed is not treated with anything to enhance germination or resist mould, etc. If it's got any obvious coating on it, don't use it.

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper SarahP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    35,230

    Default

    I've fed cat grass to guinea pigs. It's cereal grass, eg. oats, wheat etc, and it grows fast indoors. As I remember, it's higher in protein than hay, so needs to be fed in small quantities.
    Sarah.

    RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Pearl, Bramble and Hazel guinea pigs

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    5,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Seed sold as cat grass tends to be oats. It should be fine for rabbits, whatever 'grass' it is. I'm assuming as it's sold to be eaten, that the seed is not treated with anything to enhance germination or resist mould, etc. If it's got any obvious coating on it, don't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    I've fed cat grass to guinea pigs. It's cereal grass, eg. oats, wheat etc, and it grows fast indoors. As I remember, it's higher in protein than hay, so needs to be fed in small quantities.
    Thank you so much, these have been very useful for me
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

  7. #7

    Default

    The grass I grow for Casper and Sophie is sold as cat grass seed. It's rye, I think. It's really nice grass. Sophie and Casper really like it, and like the others have said, it should be fine for bunnies.
    (Pronouns: he or they)


  8. #8
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    5,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    The grass I grow for Casper and Sophie is sold as cat grass seed. It's rye, I think. It's really nice grass. Sophie and Casper really like it, and like the others have said, it should be fine for bunnies.
    Thank you so much, so I bought it. Thanks to you, I'm relieved.
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •