• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny tattoos???

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi does anyone know how you tattoo bunnies i have four albino bunnies they all look the same, so i have tried using perminant pen one the inside of the ears but every couple of days its gone, through them cleaning themselfs i guess so i need to know of a perminant way to do i so i dont get mixed up

thanks

You could ask a vet they might have the equipment for it or know who has. Home solutions would be to clip a different section of fur of each rabbits ear, give them collars (safety ones with a stretchy part) or put a spot of non toxic dye on their fur. Or teach them to answer to their names ;)

Tam

oh i made sure its non toxic, but they are rebels with out a cause (or maybe they have excape merchants) they are babies well 10 weeks and i have tried to get them litter trained with no lucky and they are rather mischeifious and would probably answer to someone elses name just to have a laugh at my expense... but would not want to take the buns to be neutered twice ouch!!!
:oops:

I have two sets of identical twin buns so I know just how you feel :lol:

I had to sit and study their personalities and ways of running about before I could tell the difference, now they have grown up, one of my darker females has a brown patch just above her nose is is noticably different in size

Try using the dye on the actual fur rather than the skin on the ear. Also do it in a spot that isn't easily reached for washing.

Tam

Would a teeny dab of nail varnish on the fur harm them? It would certainly distinguish them, but I don't know if it would be bad for them. :?

You could just imagine walking into a tattoo parlour with the rabbits saying - could you do me a deal on four tattoos then showing him the recipients :lol: !

Zeus wears a collar with a name tag and it doesn't seem to affect him and so far he hasn't hurt himself from wearing it not sure if all buns go for it as Athena certainly won't ;) !

I can't think of anything else to use as most of the permanent dyes are probably toxic, I should think it would work better on their fur than their skin though.

Caz

Caz said:
You could just imagine walking into a tattoo parlour with the rabbits saying - could you do me a deal on four tattoos then showing him the recipients :lol:

Chips wants 'LUV' on his left ear and 'HAY' on his right ear for his birthday now. Thank you VERY much. :x

totally off topic but I got a bugs bunny tattoo when chico died , it was my way of remembering him always . is on my shoulder and its cute.

I would sugest the collars, Ollie has one with a bell on when she's in the house (so I can find her), it has velcro on so if it gets attatched to anything it snaps! different colours would look very flash!

Bertie said:
Caz said:
You could just imagine walking into a tattoo parlour with the rabbits saying - could you do me a deal on four tattoos then showing him the recipients :lol:

Chips wants 'LUV' on his left ear and 'HAY' on his right ear for his birthday now. Thank you VERY much. :x

Haaaa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back