• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets@Home Adoption - Update

Lots near me but need neutering, are vaccinated tho! Do you not want to have to get them neutered?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Lots near me but need neutering, are vaccinated tho! Do you not want to have to get them neutered?

No problem with getting a rabbit neutered, but I've nowhere to keep him outside for 6ish weeks whilst he recovers and his hormones subside.

No problem with getting a rabbit neutered, but I've nowhere to keep him outside for 6ish weeks whilst he recovers and his hormones subside.
Ah I see! Yea that's a pain isn't it

I don't know if a bunny in Swindon might be close enough?

One of the rescues there have a neutered boy, although he has failed to bond with the homes current female so might be a risk.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I don't know if a bunny in Swindon might be close enough?

One of the rescues there have a neutered boy, although he has failed to bond with the homes current female so might be a risk.

Yes, Swindon is probably a 3 hour drive from here. We're trying to limit our searching to within Kent really.

Thanks for looking though :love: And yes, the failed bond might also be a concern.

I think that Rescues more than likely have more rabbits for adoption than shown on their websiites and wonder whether it’s worth trying to contact them by phone etc. Not that it’s easy to contact as they are always so busy.

I think that Rescues more than likely have more rabbits for adoption than shown on their websiites and wonder whether it’s worth trying to contact them by phone etc. Not that it’s easy to contact as they are always so busy.

Yes, I thought this some time ago, that this would be the case for a variety of reasons i.e. waiting list, rabbits newly taken in and just neutered etc. And in those cases it's completely understandable that those rabbits don't appear on the websites. So a few weeks ago I emailed them all (probably around a dozen). Five were really good and responded quickly, but sadly hadn't got a suitable single male. The rest didn't respond at all :(

The point you've made about rescues always being so busy is one, which is often repeated on this forum. And I've no doubt that they are very busy. It certainly must go with the type of work they do or volunteer for. But, at the risk of being considered intolerant or impatient, I have some thoughts about that. In my view finding suitable new homes for the animals they've rescued is as much part of rescue work as removing the animals from somewhere unsuitable.

Yes, I thought this some time ago, that this would be the case for a variety of reasons i.e. waiting list, rabbits newly taken in and just neutered etc. And in those cases it's completely understandable that those rabbits don't appear on the websites. So a few weeks ago I emailed them all (probably around a dozen). Five were really good and responded quickly, but sadly hadn't got a suitable single male. The rest didn't respond at all :(

The point you've made about rescues always being so busy is one, which is often repeated on this forum. And I've no doubt that they are very busy. It certainly must go with the type of work they do or volunteer for. But, at the risk of being considered intolerant or impatient, I have some thoughts about that. In my view finding suitable new homes for the animals they've rescued is as much part of rescue work as removing the animals from somewhere unsuitable.
I think it's the caring for loads of different buns housed differently that probably takes a lot of time too!

Yeah we found a lot had some coming through but in the case of the rspca they were waiting for the legal proceedings to go through.

Our local rspca were happy for me to fill in an application form in advance of them having a girl available so we could proceed once they had one. In the end we arranged Blossom from a good few hours away but they did email me with a girl before they put her online. Might be worth emailing them directly?

A lot of the smaller rescues don't seem to keep their sites up to date. Tag Pet Rescue look like they have two boys (although young) but then it looks like it hasn't been updated since Sept.

I think it's the caring for loads of different buns housed differently that probably takes a lot of time too!

Yes, I've absolutely no doubt that rescues must be very busy. You've only got to imagine just one of the animals becoming unwell and all the extra work that would entail :(

But the fact remains that when considering whether to run a rescue I think it's responsible to consider resourcing and within that to include the time necessary to find suitable new homes for the animals.

I don't consider that this is the problem we're faced with here though. I think there just aren't many single males available in Kent.

Might be worth emailing them directly?

A lot of the smaller rescues don't seem to keep their sites up to date. Tag Pet Rescue look like they have two boys (although young) but then it looks like it hasn't been updated since Sept.

Yes, I did email (think our posts crossed)

Yes, the chap at Tag Rescue has updated us about what is available. Sadly the two single males are lops and we're looking for an uppy-eared male. Their age would be fine.

Yes, I've absolutely no doubt that rescues must be very busy. You've only got to imagine just one of the animals becoming unwell and all the extra work that would entail :(

But the fact remains that when considering whether to run a rescue I think it's responsible to consider resourcing and within that to include the time necessary to find suitable new homes for the animals.

I don't consider that this is the problem we're faced with here though. I think there just aren't many single males available in Kent.

Yea, like with everything though, not everyone is very good at communication.. Which is like obviously vital for a lot of things, including this[emoji38][emoji38]

I often feel this about a lot of things, I get really irritated [emoji38] I guess rescues aren't always paid people though, probably have jobs and just help out... I get it, but don't disagree with you. I think animal rescue is just not a perfect system, it's people just doing their best [emoji2372]

Yea, like with everything though, not everyone is very good at communication.. Which is like obviously vital for a lot of things, including this[emoji38][emoji38]

I often feel this about a lot of things, I get really irritated [emoji38] I guess rescues aren't always paid people though, probably have jobs and just help out... I get it, but don't disagree with you. I think animal rescue is just not a perfect system, it's people just doing their best [emoji2372]

Absolutely, there is barely anyone paid in the rescue world! Just all people like me - desperately trying to juggle family and full time work…and rescue! I am good at communication, the issue is having 20 seconds during the day to actually spare and respond to an email. By the time I have the time, I am barely able to string a sentence together. This goes for every other person I work alongside in the rescue world.

what are you looking for as we have volunteers who can help with transport part way and have 3 single males waiting for a home including a handsome 9 month old Thuringer boy and a lovely up eared REW who is gorgeous but has been waiting a while

Last edited:
what are you looking for as we have volunteers who can help with transport part way and have 3 single males waiting for a home including a handsome 9 month old Thuringer boy and a lovely up eared REW who is gorgeous but has been waiting a while

Hi, Jill, thanks for replying. I'm afraid that the distance between you and me is too great though :( It's a matter of principle that we do not want lots of miles to be travelled in the transportation of a bunny to us. It's just not right in our view. Whether it is us driving or volunteers driving, the impact is the same. I'm also not sure how easy my Doe would be to bond with another male and so must also calculate that the journey might need to be done again if the bond wasn't successful.

It sounds as though one of your single males would be perfect. We have a very lively, almost 4 year old REW Himalayan/NZW cross Doe (ex ARC), who has lost her Standard Rex male partner. Ideally we would match her with a medium-sized, uppy-eared, male up to about 4 years old. She is an anxious rabbit and so we are trying to match her carefully.

I would really love to know why the availability of adoptable single rabbits is just so different here in Kent to other parts of the country :(

Hi, Jill, thanks for replying. I'm afraid that the distance between you and me is too great though :( It's a matter of principle that we do not want lots of miles to be travelled in the transportation of a bunny to us. It's just not right in our view. Whether it is us driving or volunteers driving, the impact is the same. I'm also not sure how easy my Doe would be to bond with another male and so must also calculate that the journey might need to be done again if the bond wasn't successful.

It sounds as though one of your single males would be perfect. We have a very lively, almost 4 year old REW Himalayan/NZW cross Doe (ex ARC), who has lost her Standard Rex male partner. Ideally we would match her with a medium-sized, uppy-eared, male up to about 4 years old. She is an anxious rabbit and so we are trying to match her carefully.

I would really love to know why the availability of adoptable single rabbits is just so different here in Kent to other parts of the country :(

fair enough althoug some people do the journey your way anyway so bun would hitch a lift!

Back