• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets@Home Adoption - Update

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know whether Pets@Home are still rehoming small animals from their stores? Pre-Covid there used to be a website with a search facility, where you could input your postcode and search for available animals in stores nearest to your home. I can't find that now and am wondering if they are actually still rehoming?

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether Pets@Home are still rehoming small animals from their stores? Pre-Covid there used to be a website with a search facility, where you could input your postcode and search for available animals in stores nearest to your home. I can't find that now and am wondering if they are actually still rehoming?
Was last time I went in they didn't for a while but then pretty quickly got back to rehoming tbh even when there was still restrictions.. Like when Evelyn was a newborn I remember Michael sent me some pictures of a bun needing a home several times when he'd popped in to get stuff when that whole carefresh shortage happened and we had the hammies. I didn't even know they had a website version tbh!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thanks Graciee, I'll have a look in our local one then and ask if they know what's available in other stores close to us.

Thanks Graciee, I'll have a look in our local one then and ask if they know what's available in other stores close to us.
You can always call them up and see what they've got I've found :)

I didn't think Pets at Home ever listed them on a website. There is Pets4Homes, but that's a different thing.

I've seen a website for pets at home adoption in the past, called support adoption for pets. When I was looking for hamsters I found the website was usually out of date so perhaps that's why they don't use it any more as I know a lot of stores didn't have time to post on the website.

I've seen a website for pets at home adoption in the past, called support adoption for pets. When I was looking for hamsters I found the website was usually out of date so perhaps that's why they don't use it any more as I know a lot of stores didn't have time to post on the website.
Makes sense, that's the name in store! But yea I bet it was always out of date.. Altho it shouldn't have been, all adoptions are done on the ipad, wouldn't take much to have adopted animals removed from the website once they've been marked as adopted (which happens on the ipad anyway, no extra work for in store)

The Adoption Sections in P@H are usually used for ‘old stock’ that has not sold when they were baby Bunnies. Occasionally they will have genuine Adoptions, but IME that is very rare.

That said, any Rabbit in a P@H Adoption Section deserves a home just as much as any other Rabbit :)

The Adoption Sections in P@H are usually used for ‘old stock’ that has not sold when they were baby Bunnies. Occasionally they will have genuine Adoptions, but IME that is very rare.

That said, any Rabbit in a P@H Adoption Section deserves a home just as much as any other Rabbit :)
I think it depends by store, but my local one I know the people quite well and sadly an awful lot of bunnies get dumped, it's not the best area tbh, they also always have a the blurb as "I've been in the store a long time and the charity is trying to find me a home" when it's their stock at mine

I think it depends by store, but my local one I know the people quite well and sadly an awful lot of bunnies get dumped, it's not the best area tbh, they also always have a the blurb as "I've been in the store a long time and the charity is trying to find me a home" when it's their stock at mine

Not been in my local Branch for years as I Boycott P@H now. But when I did go in I often witnessed them ‘shifting old stock’ from the Baby Bunny sales pens to the Adoption boxes.

This is the website I have looked at a few years ago. It was when we were looking for a friend for Tethra and before we got Tui, so quite a short time. It was then certainly up to date with the animals in our local store. I, also, at that time looked at the adoption rabbits in the local store. None of them were young and so could have been considered old stock. My experience is based only a small sample though.

Not been in my local Branch for years as I Boycott P@H now. But when I did go in I often witnessed them ‘shifting old stock’ from the Baby Bunny sales pens to the Adoption boxes.

Yup, most of ours used to have little noted that said something along the line of all my friends got sold and its just me.

This is the website I have looked at a few years ago. It was when we were looking for a friend for Tethra and before we got Tui, so quite a short time. It was then certainly up to date with the animals in our local store. I, also, at that time looked at the adoption rabbits in the local store. None of them were young and so could have been considered old stock. My experience is based only a small sample though.

That has been my experience too. I have adopted about 10 rabbit from Support Adoption. Three were already neutered. They haven't had the list for at least 18 months, which is a shame, I got a few though checking. Inky, 2 years old, neutered male was found that way. He was in Brighouse, probably outside my radar for the phone round.

I wish they would gather more information when the previous owner drops off the animal, just stuff like age is not asked, which I find really sad.

I've had 2 piggies from Support Adoption, with the story they were returned due to being too nervous and not for children. One Syrian who was brought in for screaming and biting. 4 rats who weren't sold. And Jake rabbit who had a story that he can never be bonded as he had a fight with another rabbit, must live alone and will bite. He was brought in after the other male he was with needed surgery after Jake had bitten his testicles during head humping, of course with 2 unneutered males :roll:

The P@H branches do vary a lot. Most will phone round local stores to see what is available locally, if you are looking for a specific match. Brighouse branch doesn't seem to have any rabbits out on display at the moment, but may have them in the back. When I asked about 6 months ago, they had a female who was booked in for spaying and would then be available for adoption. She wasn't available for viewing until after spaying.

I've had pets from local branches which were genuine rescues - guinea pigs from people moving home who were not allowed pets, and hamsters which were returned due to biting, etc. If you get the right person, you may even be able to extract more specific information on a particular pet, but it's a bit pot luck.

I've actually witnessed someone handing over an animal for adoption before, so it's definitely not just old stock.

Our local store often has a similar blurb too so it's often easy to spot which are old stock and which have been handed in. It often seems to be a 50/50 split between the two.

My daughter got a hamster from the adoption section about a month ago, so definitely back up and running (here at least). He was from an accidental litter that was handed in - and temperament is TOTALLY different to all the 'too old to be sold' hammies we've had in the past so I think it was a genuine handover.

I will definitely call in to our local branch next time we're passing. Hopefully they will be helpful.

Whilst I do not shop in P@H and do not agree with them selling any live animals, I think I'm OK with them putting old stock into the adoption section. After all what else would I want them to do with animals who are in that situation? Better obviously that they had never found themselves in that position, but once they have, the alternatives are worse. Not a good match for us though as we would need a neutered rabbit.

Back