Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets@Home Adoption - Update

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    The Adoption Sections in P@H are usually used for ‘old stock’ that has not sold when they were baby Bunnies. Occasionally they will have genuine Adoptions, but IME that is very rare.

That said, any Rabbit in a P@H Adoption Section deserves a home just as much as any other Rabbit
    I think it depends by store, but my local one I know the people quite well and sadly an awful lot of bunnies get dumped, it's not the best area tbh, they also always have a the blurb as "I've been in the store a long time and the charity is trying to find me a home" when it's their stock at mine

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I think it depends by store, but my local one I know the people quite well and sadly an awful lot of bunnies get dumped, it's not the best area tbh, they also always have a the blurb as "I've been in the store a long time and the charity is trying to find me a home" when it's their stock at mine

Not been in my local Branch for years as I Boycott P@H now. But when I did go in I often witnessed them ‘shifting old stock’ from the Baby Bunny sales pens to the Adoption boxes.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    I've seen a website for pets at home adoption in the past, called support adoption for pets. When I was looking for hamsters I found the website was usually out of date so perhaps that's why they don't use it any more as I know a lot of stores didn't have time to post on the website.
    This is the website I have looked at a few years ago. It was when we were looking for a friend for Tethra and before we got Tui, so quite a short time. It was then certainly up to date with the animals in our local store. I, also, at that time looked at the adoption rabbits in the local store. None of them were young and so could have been considered old stock. My experience is based only a small sample though.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Not been in my local Branch for years as I Boycott P@H now. But when I did go in I often witnessed them ‘shifting old stock’ from the Baby Bunny sales pens to the Adoption boxes.
    Yup, most of ours used to have little noted that said something along the line of all my friends got sold and its just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    This is the website I have looked at a few years ago. It was when we were looking for a friend for Tethra and before we got Tui, so quite a short time. It was then certainly up to date with the animals in our local store. I, also, at that time looked at the adoption rabbits in the local store. None of them were young and so could have been considered old stock. My experience is based only a small sample though.
    That has been my experience too. I have adopted about 10 rabbit from Support Adoption. Three were already neutered. They haven't had the list for at least 18 months, which is a shame, I got a few though checking. Inky, 2 years old, neutered male was found that way. He was in Brighouse, probably outside my radar for the phone round.

I wish they would gather more information when the previous owner drops off the animal, just stuff like age is not asked, which I find really sad.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

I've had 2 piggies from Support Adoption, with the story they were returned due to being too nervous and not for children. One Syrian who was brought in for screaming and biting. 4 rats who weren't sold. And Jake rabbit who had a story that he can never be bonded as he had a fight with another rabbit, must live alone and will bite. He was brought in after the other male he was with needed surgery after Jake had bitten his testicles during head humping, of course with 2 unneutered males

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Veteran

The P@H branches do vary a lot. Most will phone round local stores to see what is available locally, if you are looking for a specific match. Brighouse branch doesn't seem to have any rabbits out on display at the moment, but may have them in the back. When I asked about 6 months ago, they had a female who was booked in for spaying and would then be available for adoption. She wasn't available for viewing until after spaying.

I've had pets from local branches which were genuine rescues - guinea pigs from people moving home who were not allowed pets, and hamsters which were returned due to biting, etc. If you get the right person, you may even be able to extract more specific information on a particular pet, but it's a bit pot luck.

I've actually witnessed someone handing over an animal for adoption before, so it's definitely not just old stock.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Pearl, Bramble and Hazel guinea pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post

Our local store often has a similar blurb too so it's often easy to spot which are old stock and which have been handed in. It often seems to be a 50/50 split between the two.

My daughter got a hamster from the adoption section about a month ago, so definitely back up and running (here at least). He was from an accidental litter that was handed in - and temperament is TOTALLY different to all the 'too old to be sold' hammies we've had in the past so I think it was a genuine handover.

Wise Old Thumper

I will definitely call in to our local branch next time we're passing. Hopefully they will be helpful.

Whilst I do not shop in P@H and do not agree with them selling any live animals, I think I'm OK with them putting old stock into the adoption section. After all what else would I want them to do with animals who are in that situation? Better obviously that they had never found themselves in that position, but once they have, the alternatives are worse. Not a good match for us though as we would need a neutered rabbit.