• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezy Sophie

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
We had a vet appointment today for Sophie as she's been sneezing and coughing a bit this week. Her nose is clean, but her front paws are a bit dirty. Her lungs sounded fine, thankfully. The vet wanted her on antibiotics, though, because she thinks it might be a starting bacterial thing. So, she's getting antibiotics for two weeks, and hopefully that'll make her symptoms go away. She won't be happy with me! Though the vet said it shouldn't taste too bad.

Sorry for Sophie hope she gets better fast. I'm experiencing the same thing with Cookie right now. Cookie is currently suffering from a respiratory infection, he started antibiotics yesterday. But the vet gave us 5 days of antibiotics, when I think of you, ours is still low. :|

I'm sorry that Sophie is unwell :( It's always best to start treatment early, so it's good that you've managed to do that today. Sending her lots of vibes and I hope the abx soon show improvements.

Sending vibes to Sophie. Zigzag sneezes a lot on and off, and has been on a course of antibiotics now and again.

I hope Sophie responds well to the treatment, it sounds like you care for them so well, so I’m sure she will.

Sorry to hear that Sophie has to pay the vet a visit, really hope the abx sorts the sneezing out. Sending her loads of vibes xx

Thank you so much, everyone, for caring about Sophie and hoping she'll feel better and sending vibes. :love: She's sneezing as I type this, poor girl. She's taking the antibiotics pretty well, though, so I think she doesn't hate the taste, at least, which is good. Gross meds are the worst.

Thought I'd update you all on Sophie. She only has a few days of antibiotics left to go and I haven't heard her sneeze or cough in quite a few days now, so it seems to have worked. :) I wasn't able to do last week's weekly bunny checkup (I'm having a horrible ME crash after my birthday and am really struggling doing even the simplest things), so I haven't been able to take a close look at her front paws to see if they're clean, but I'll try to check her over as soon as I can. We'll both be glad when we can stop with the antibiotics; she runs away as soon as she knows it's meds time, and I have a big bruise on my leg where she's bitten me more than once! ;)

I'm so glad to hear that, how many days has Sophie been on antibiotics?
Cookie's sneezing continues but the vet doesn't give us medicine, we only used antibiotics for 5 days. I'm tired now, I'm giving Cookie vitamins, he still has little sneezes. I'm so tired of fighting with the vet now, when I get there, I will go to the vet you found on the first day, I am currently waiting to come to the Netherlands for Cookie's full treatment, because the vet here cannot treat and refuses to do so. :( The vet doesn't know if Cookie has an allergy or an infection

I'm really sorry for the crash, I hope you get well quickly, lots of vibrations xxxxx

Last edited:
I'm glad that Sophie is improving :love: Not so good that she bites your leg as thanks for your care of her though :(

I’m pleased to hear that Sophie is getting better, and sorry to hear about your ME crash, that must be difficult. I hope you get better soon.

well done Sophie & you, I'd be v pleased. Can't believe she is still taking chunks out of your poor leg. Is it one bite for every dose or more sporadic than that? Really sorry you're having a bad crash, hope your energy levels pick up real soon

I'm so glad to hear that, how many days has Sophie been on antibiotics?
Cookie's sneezing continues but the vet doesn't give us medicine, we only used antibiotics for 5 days. I'm tired now, I'm giving Cookie vitamins, he still has little sneezes. I'm so tired of fighting with the vet now, when I get there, I will go to the vet you found on the first day, I am currently waiting to come to the Netherlands for Cookie's full treatment, because the vet here cannot treat and refuses to do so. :( The vet doesn't know if Cookie has an allergy or an infection

I'm really sorry for the crash, I hope you get well quickly, lots of vibrations xxxxx
Sophie's been on antibiotics for... 12 days now, I think... She needs until Thursday, 14 days in total. I wouldn't give Cookie extra vitamins. His food should contain all the vitamins he needs, and it's easy to give too many vitamins and make him ill. I do hope you can get a vet to figure out why he's still sneezing, and can get help for him, whatever the cause.

Thank you for the vibes. :)

I'm glad that Sophie is improving :love: Not so good that she bites your leg as thanks for your care of her though :(
Thank you. :love: Yeah, she doesn't seem to care that I'm trying to help her. ;)

I’m pleased to hear that Sophie is getting better, and sorry to hear about your ME crash, that must be difficult. I hope you get better soon.
Thank you, too, for caring about both Sophie and me.

well done Sophie & you, I'd be v pleased. Can't believe she is still taking chunks out of your poor leg. Is it one bite for every dose or more sporadic than that? Really sorry you're having a bad crash, hope your energy levels pick up real soon
I am very pleased. :D Thankfully, she doesn't bite me every time. I've learned to move quickly, so that helps. ;) Thank you for being sorry about my crash, too.

Sophie's been on antibiotics for... 12 days now, I think... She needs until Thursday, 14 days in total. I wouldn't give Cookie extra vitamins. His food should contain all the vitamins he needs, and it's easy to give too many vitamins and make him ill. I do hope you can get a vet to figure out why he's still sneezing, and can get help for him, whatever the cause.

Really? Does too much vitamins make you sick? The vet again told me the opposite, I asked the vet if it would be harmful if he took too many vitamins, and she told me there would be no harm, and the excess would be removed from the body. :( Is the vet wrong again? :(

Really? Does too much vitamins make you sick? The vet again told me the opposite, I asked the vet if it would be harmful if he took too many vitamins, and she told me there would be no harm, and the excess would be removed from the body. :( Is the vet wrong again? :(
Well, it depends on what vitamins they are. Some do get flushed from the body when there's too much, but some don't and can cause damage, like too much vitamin A, D, and E, I believe? I'm not sure if too much vitamin C would be bad for bunnies.

Back