• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loxicom - given wrong dose? Urgent

Zarla

Alpha Buck
My female bun Dusty was neutered yesterday and left the surgery at 6pm very spaced out. She has been quiet and eating minimally ever since. Am syringe feeding Critical Care as advised and she swallows it okay.

I was given Loxicom for Cats and the vet's paperwork says to give her 2ml today, which would be half the bottle! The enclosed leaflet says 0.2ml per kg of bodyweight but that's for cats. Dusty weighs 1.68kg. In the end I gave her only 0.2ml. Vets don't open til 9am so I hope someone here can help.

Panic over I think. Just spoke to vet and apparently rabbits metabolise Loxicom much quicker than cats so need more! They suggested 1ml twice a day and I have to pick up another bottle now as they gave me the wrong size. Dusty having a wash now but still very slow moving and ignoring all her favourite foods.

The cat version is super weak. I have Metacam for dogs for Pearl, who is a guinea pig, and she's on 0.4 ml twice a day even of that!

Cat metacam is 1/3 the strength of the dog one. Both are ok for rabbits, but you will need a bigger volume if using the cat one to get an equivalent dose, so I've always had the dog one. Rabbitss do metabolise it quickly so are usually prescribed several times the dog dose for the weight of the rabbit.

Have you got any powdered recovery food to syringe feed her?

Last edited:
Lopsy's 'maintenance dose' (twice daily for arthritic pain) is of the dog one which is 1.5mg/ml and he's on the dose for a 6kg dog twice a day. I think that works out about 0.4ish ml in 'normal' measurements. Unwell bunnies tend to get 'their weight x10 = dog kgs' IME, so active pain control over a short period for Chibbs at 2.3kg was for a 23kg dog. It's a very rough approximation though so please consult a vet anyone thinking of doing that!

I get the dog medicam too, and while it is stronger so you only need to give less, sometimes it is harder to fill the oral syringe accurately with the smaller, sometimes odd portions of ml.

Your vet can guide you in what is an appropriate dose because my vet allows a higher dose for a few days than he would allow longer term.

Sending you and your bunny lots of healing vibes.

"Have you got any powdered recovery food to syringe feed her?"

Yes, and she accepts and swallows it. Very friendly and gentle so easy to syringe feed, bless her. She's started picking at hay and greens today.

Pleased to hear that Dusty is doing better today, sending her lots of vibes for a quick recovery x

Loxicom comes in two varietions. One is 0.5 mg and other is 1.5 mg. For 1.3kg bun the first version is 1ml every 12 hours and the other is 0.4 ml every 12 hour.

Back