Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loxicom - given wrong dose? Urgent

Default Loxicom - given wrong dose? Urgent

My female bun Dusty was neutered yesterday and left the surgery at 6pm very spaced out. She has been quiet and eating minimally ever since. Am syringe feeding Critical Care as advised and she swallows it okay.

I was given Loxicom for Cats and the vet's paperwork says to give her 2ml today, which would be half the bottle! The enclosed leaflet says 0.2ml per kg of bodyweight but that's for cats. Dusty weighs 1.68kg. In the end I gave her only 0.2ml. Vets don't open til 9am so I hope someone here can help.

Panic over I think. Just spoke to vet and apparently rabbits metabolise Loxicom much quicker than cats so need more! They suggested 1ml twice a day and I have to pick up another bottle now as they gave me the wrong size. Dusty having a wash now but still very slow moving and ignoring all her favourite foods.

The cat version is super weak. I have Metacam for dogs for Pearl, who is a guinea pig, and she's on 0.4 ml twice a day even of that!
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Pearl, Bramble and Hazel guinea pigs

Wow, okay! Thank you. She's still barely eating 24 hours out from surgery.

Warren Veteran

Cat metacam is 1/3 the strength of the dog one. Both are ok for rabbits, but you will need a bigger volume if using the cat one to get an equivalent dose, so I've always had the dog one. Rabbitss do metabolise it quickly so are usually prescribed several times the dog dose for the weight of the rabbit.

Have you got any powdered recovery food to syringe feed her?
    Last edited by Shimmer; 23-10-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Lopsy's 'maintenance dose' (twice daily for arthritic pain) is of the dog one which is 1.5mg/ml and he's on the dose for a 6kg dog twice a day. I think that works out about 0.4ish ml in 'normal' measurements. Unwell bunnies tend to get 'their weight x10 = dog kgs' IME, so active pain control over a short period for Chibbs at 2.3kg was for a 23kg dog. It's a very rough approximation though so please consult a vet anyone thinking of doing that!
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

I get the dog medicam too, and while it is stronger so you only need to give less, sometimes it is harder to fill the oral syringe accurately with the smaller, sometimes odd portions of ml.

Your vet can guide you in what is an appropriate dose because my vet allows a higher dose for a few days than he would allow longer term.

Sending you and your bunny lots of healing vibes.

"Have you got any powdered recovery food to syringe feed her?"

Yes, and she accepts and swallows it. Very friendly and gentle so easy to syringe feed, bless her. She's started picking at hay and greens today.

Pleased to hear that Dusty is doing better today, sending her lots of vibes for a quick recovery x
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Zarla View Post

"Have you got any powdered recovery food to syringe feed her?"

Yes, and she accepts and swallows it. Very friendly and gentle so easy to syringe feed, bless her. She's started picking at hay and greens today.