• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding these lovely ladies

Hello, been a while since I posted. Quick background, I have two female rabbits, both about 3 years old. Both have been sprayed. They are not currently the best of friends. I have them in separate cages that are side by side, so they can see and smell each other. (Theres extra bars inbetween there cages where they join on to stop bites ect. Only sometimes do they try to nip each other through the bars at the front, as they take it in turns coming out.

I've done lots of research, I know stress bonding isnt the best way really, but they had there first 10 minute stress bonding session just now, I think it actually went really well, other than my own nervousness and shaking at the start of putting them in the box together. They both huddled together and was pretty chilled tbh. I think maybe after a few more sessions I should get them a bigger box? I felt kinda bad seeing them smushed together without much room. Although it was cute and lovely to see them snuggling.

How many sessions should I do daily?
Should I slowly just keep increasing there bonding space depending on how well its going?

Any extra help and advice would be appreciated, its one thing doing research but I'd prefer speaking to people who have experience bonding bunnies
e76c24d0d657fd27df79437b3733ea68.jpg

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I'm bumping this up for you. I've never actually bonded any bunnies myself, but there are plenty on here that have, so I'm sure someone will share their experiences. Good luck with the bond !

Bonding 2 females can be difficult as in the wild there would be hierarchies between the females and each one has to know her place. Having said that, there are people who have bonded 2 females seemingly successfully so there is hope that you can do it. It will probably take much longer than a male/female bond and there is probably no exact method of doing it. If you are on Facebook there is a group called UK Rabbits and there area few who have females living together and who can share their experiences. If you have difficulties and have lots of space, I would be inclined to put a neutered Buck in with them.

From that photo I would definitely not do that again, there is no bond happening there - simply terrified rabbits. If you choose to stress bond then a pet carrier is a kind option.

I agree with th bee. Stress bonding is not something I would ever do.

Your rabbits are both beautiful.

Back